• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kudos to Steve Borock for hosting an awesome Forum Dinner!!!

30 posts in this topic

Hi again,

I finally found some time to write about the forum dinner. As Danny (MutantKeys) stated in my National report, it was a great gathering. It was my first forum dinner and, having read about the other previous dinners and listening to Steve at the con tell me who was coming, I was stoked. And, having been there, I can Steve definetly came through. I hope this report will give you an idea of what it was like.

We, my fiancee and I, arrived at Shun Lee West at 8pm and, having checked our coats, we were warmly greeted by Steve at the bar, we chatted a bit and he introduced us to Mark Haspel. We talked some more, about comics, about CGC, about what I collect and what he collects. In just the short time we talked, I gathered the impression he is a fountain of comic book knowledge. I wish I had more time to pick his brain. I think it would lead to some very interesting stories and I know I could learn a ton. (Note to self: At next forum dinner get seat next to Mark.) grin.gif (Another note to self: Mark will probably read this and insist I not be invited) foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif

We moved further into the bar area (our tables were still being prepped) and there I saw and introduced myself to Danny(Mutantkeys). A very nice guy and very knowledgble about comics and wise for his young years. Even though this was the first time we had met face to face, it felt like we were long friends. I felt the same way about everybody I met. We chatted about our day at the con, about the comics I picked up, about his submissions. Very easy flowing conversation, no awkward quiet time. I say this again because this was the first time we had met, we were in essence complete strangers.

Our tables were ready and Steve told us it was time to leave the bar. My fiancee and I were waiting for our drinks, upon which Steve helped us secure them in the very busy bar. At this time, I saw and introduced myself to Harry (Burntboy) and having told him my forum id, he immediately shook my hand and welcomed me to the dinner. A nicer gentleman you could not meet.

As he moved onto the dinning room, Steve secured us our drinks and we follwed him to our table. He told us a little about the resturant. The bar area ws a little on the dark side but the dinning room was incredible. Steve made it a point to show us the ornate dragon and monkey sculptures adorning the walls. He is quite the host. thumbsup2.gif We made our way into an adjoining room. I think it was part of Shun Lee Cafe. It was a room better suited to a boisterous crowd than the more subdued dinnng room.

What followed next was comic geeks delight. Sitting at a long table against the far wall were a number of comic book professionals. The ones I recognized: Michael Golden, Travis Charest, and Buzz. There were also some big time comic dealers. Terry Oneill of Terry's Comics, Rob Rogovin of Four Color Comics, Kevin Boyd, Mr and Mrs TV comics, and Tommy and Krisitne of Best Comics. Steve asked us if we wanted to sit with the artists or join some of our fellow forumites. I was intrigued about sitting with some of the artists but I was feeling very shy and also wanted to hang out with some the forumites I had just met. We sat with MK and BB and his wife. Dmac was also there and it was very nice meeting him. Next to Dmac was Paul(silverandbronze) and next to him MR and Mrs. TVComics. On the other side of us was Best Comics and their nephew who semed to be having a very fun time.

After Steve asked the crowd if there were anybody had special dietary requiements, he tried to initiate a roundtable of introductions. Who were were, what we collected,etc... Kevin Boyd started it but the noise from the other patrons in the room made it too difficult to hear,so Steve had to postpone it until later when hopefully the din would have settled down. Sadly, it never happened so we missed out on intros. frown.gif

We spent the next few hours eating and talking. I had so much fun listening to and talking with Harry and Danny. We talked about Harry's Sid's Lunchonette collection. How it came about. We also talked about our misadventures with Danny "Comic-keys""Richard Koos" Dupcak. We talked about what we are collecting now. We talked about the boards. We talked about the new liason committee. It was nice to have a member of the committee there. But above all we talked about comics. And for me that was a rare treat. I don't have any other friends that collect. Well, I should say that I didn't have any. I left that evening feeling like I had a bunch of new friends.

I got to briefly meet Gene (delerkeste). Another nice fellow. Unfortunately, he had to leave early. As dinner wound down, the party was still going. I moved over to the other table and was introduced by Steve to Terry Oneil and Rob Rogovin. It didn't dawn on me until a few minutes after introductions that I had quite a few of my single number SA X-men from Terry off of ebay.Steve also joined us and we chatted some more. we talked about the boards and CGC. Steve also told me some very interesting and funny stories about Terry and their friendship. We chatted more about comics. I has a very nice conversation with Terry and Rob.

After speaking a little more with Harry, it was getting late and it was time to head home. I said my goodbyes, Danny had left a little earlier, and headed back to suburban Nanuet.

All I can say is to those forumites have never gone to a forum dinner, GO. I have never had more fun at a dinner. The next time Steve posts an Forum dinner announcement, put your name on the list. My only regret about the dinner was that there were not more forumites there. Perhaps if we could have filled the room, we could have had the introductions Steve had wanted. Brad (Red Hook) was missed. Yes, we talked about you gossip.gif Brian (Foolkiller) was also missed. I would also have liked to have met FFB, and esquire and some of the forumites from across the pond.

I will leave you and end my report with some words that Steve shared with me as I said my goodbyes. He said it's about building a community. Friends. The words were heartfelt and sincere. That is how I left. Friends.

Sorry for the super-long post.....

Casey

p.s. Steve, don't think I won't take you up on your offer next time I'm in Sarasota. poke2.gif27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

I haven't had the opportunity to join one of these dinners, but I can attest to the fact that Steve Borock is the consummate host. He treated Ron Murray and me to a nice lunch in Seattle earlier this year. Good food and good company. Next one's on me, Steve!

Felix

I too attended my first CGC dinner during the National 2 years ago. I am glad to see new members enjoying the same experience I had my first time around. Flying to NY with my wife and staying at a fellow boardies house, going to NY and seeing the city and attending the con was an experience I would not trade for anything. This board is about building friendships as much as it is about building collections of funny books.

Shun's is a busy(noisey) place to hold a dinner though(was it in the center of the main dining room again?)

I appreciate you taking the time to write up a Dinner report. I know it takes an effort to do so, but really helps people to understand what a CGC dinner is all about.

Which is everything.

Great food, drinks, and conversation all revolving around comics, and the people who are passionate about them

Ze-

I too attended my first CGC dinner during the National 2 years ago. I am glad to see new members enjoying the same experience I had my first time around. Flying to NY with my wife and staying at a fellow boardies house, going to NY and seeing the city and attending the con was an experience I would not trade for anything. This board is about building friendships as much as it is about building collections of funny books.

Shun's is a busy(noisey) place to hold a dinner though(was it in the center of the main dining room again?)

I appreciate you taking the time to write up a Dinner report. I know it takes an effort to do so, but really helps people to understand what a CGC dinner is all about.

Which is everything.

Great food, drinks, and conversation all revolving around comics, and the people who are passionate about them

Ze-

Thanks, Kenny. It was my pleasure to write the report and let everyone know what an excellent time was had. thumbsup2.gif

Did anyone else experiance this problem?

I arrived at Penn Station at about 7:45,and went to take the #1 train up to Lincoln Centre.Waited,and waited and waited.At 8:37,they finally made an announcement that there was no service from Times Square to Chambers St.

By the time I got out of the subway and onto the street,it was 8:45.Not a cab in sight. Reluctantly,I called it a nite and headed off to Queens.

I was really looking forward to it,I'm sorry I missed it.

To the folks that I was either picking stuff up from,or bringing them things-I apologize and will be PMing you shortly.

Did anyone else experiance this problem?

I arrived at Penn Station at about 7:45,and went to take the #1 train up to Lincoln Centre.Waited,and waited and waited.At 8:37,they finally made an announcement that there was no service from Times Square to Chambers St.

By the time I got out of the subway and onto the street,it was 8:45.Not a cab in sight. Reluctantly,I called it a nite and headed off to Queens.

I was really looking forward to it,I'm sorry I missed it.

To the folks that I was either picking stuff up from,or bringing them things-I apologize and will be PMing you shortly.

Sorry to hear that, Shad. Next time, those who are going should try to exchange phone numbers or something prior to the weekend. If I knew, I would have gladly picked you up and brought you to the dinner.