• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For all you Timely collectors...

7 posts in this topic

Metro currently has the Penn copy of USA Comics # 14 on their site (raw VF/NM for $5k), a Cap cover that I don't think I've ever seen before. According to the CGC census, no copy has been graded higher then 6.0, so this is a truely tough book.

So, whose gonna snag it?

Tough book or not, other 9.0 raw and slabbed issues from around that number have sold for about guide in Heritage auctions over the last year. Metro is asking 3X guide for a raw book. They know the market better than me, but that seems steep for a non-key Timely without a generally recognized classic cover.

It's also a pedigree, with only one recorded sale on GPA, and that was a 5.0. Only 2 copies in the census, and as JiveTurkey said, the highest graded is a 6.0.

I suspect Metro paid well over guide for this book themselves.

Much of the run has only a handful of slabbed copies, with #11 also coming in at only 2 copies. I think the census is still too unrepresentative of what's out there to be much use as a barometer of scarcity, but maybe Timely collectors agree that #14 is an especially tough book.

How far from guide is the GPA for other issues in higher grade? Ultimately, the book is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but for 5K I'm guessing you could find some pretty sweet pedigree Timelys with more demand than USA #14.

It's also a pedigree, with only one recorded sale on GPA, and that was a 5.0. Only 2 copies in the census, and as JiveTurkey said, the highest graded is a 6.0.

I suspect Metro paid well over guide for this book themselves.

maybe, maybe not; but on the 'maybe not' side, check out their 'frisco copy of mystic 3 [ vol 1]. it sold in august at the heritage signature auction for $3,883--i assume they bought it. it's on their site today for $6,500. everyone with a computer had a shot at it 3 months ago--now they want just a little less than a 3g's return. and the 'frisco is a much more desirable p'gree than penn. and understand that since it's there book, and this is america, they can ask whatever they want and i don't begrudge them. but the usa is going to be on their site at that price for a very long time, right along with the mystic.