• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help : Is this a reader crease or production crease ?

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am planning on buying a certain book (I won't disclose which one yet wink.gif) but the back cover has this very symetrical crease.

1) The crease is non-color breaking

2) Back cover is very flat (no restoration or pressing)

3) The crease is very symetrical (it's a very straight crease line)

Q: Reader crease or production crease ? What impact if CGCed ?

Back-cover-crease.jpg

Thanks for you input ! thumbsup2.gif

I would say, with near certainty, that it's a regular crease that would have a large effect on the grade.

Production creases are generally not straight or flat, but rise slightly from the rest of the cover.

I would say, with near certainty, that it's a regular crease that would have a large effect on the grade.

Production creases are generally not straight or flat, but rise slightly from the rest of the cover.

Do you think this crease could be erased by pressing ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do you think this crease could be erased by pressing ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Definitely maybe! You should email Matt Nelson with a scan if you really want to know. He could probably tell you in two seconds.

wink.gif I know where you got this scan. I determined that it is a crease from a bend myself and the best that this book would get from CGC is probably 8.0. Nice books though. Good luck and may the most foolish man win. 27_laughing.gif

wink.gif I know where you got this scan. I determined that it is a crease from a bend myself and the best that this book would get from CGC is probably 8.0. Nice books though. Good luck and may the most foolish man win. 27_laughing.gif

I wonder why you know which book it is... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif

For your information, Matt Nelson answered me and this crease will not be erased by pressing. He expects 7.0 for this book.

All of this to say I won't bid on this one.

Yeah I had my eyes on that #120 as well.... after I saw that...nope..not NM-

IF that's the Back Cover scan of the ST 120 NM- on E-bay right now, i have a small problem with that auction.

gotta admit that the grade could hold true for the Front cover but IMHO to not have a BC scan or disclose that particular defect is being less than forthright, UNLESS it were truly a production crease (which seems to have been ruled out by all).

Frederick - not satisfied with your 8.5, eehhh???

Yeah I had my eyes on that #120 as well.... after I saw that...nope..not NM-

IF that's the Back Cover scan of the ST 120 NM- on E-bay right now, i have a small problem with that auction.

gotta admit that the grade could hold true for the Front cover but IMHO to not have a BC scan or disclose that particular defect is being less than forthright, UNLESS it were truly a production crease (which seems to have been ruled out by all).

Frederick - not satisfied with your 8.5, eehhh???

Yes I am. It's one of the cleanest copies I've seen cloud9.gif

I was looking at this one as a potential trading asset in my ST quest...or as a "gift" to Korvac Saga laugh.gifdevil.gif The man deserves at least a 9.0 in his run !

On that topic, KC120 should sell him his 9.0 copy (that he sniped from him on eBay) When I see in the registry that his only ST book is this one, it's enough to drive many ST collector mad !!! 27_laughing.gif