• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Priority mail boxes for CGC'd books?

29 posts in this topic

I use lots of bubblewrap and anything handy to fill in the rest so the books dont move around, peanuts, paper, generally anything used in packaging that will make the box less likely to smash inward for extra protection. Not feasable to use more bubblewrap to fill in the remaining gaps as the cost would be ridiculous.

Do you guys use these when mailing books that you've sold?

Yes, and i believe the box that works best is the 1095, but dont quote me on it.

Arex

Correct. And there is a box just slightly smaller that a slab will fit in and ten will fit the 1095 if one wishes to double box.

....and anything handy to fill in the rest so the books dont move around, peanuts, paper, generally anything used in packaging that will make the box less likely to smash inward for extra protection.....

This is also a great use for those plastic bags you get from the supermarket. thumbsup2.gif

My advice is to DEFINITELY use the larger of the 2 Priority boxes mentioned (1095). This allows you to provide a "impact cushion" to both the top and the bottom of the slab(s) as well. The smaller box does not.

Even the Flat Rate box is not as large as the 1095… BUT, here's a tip that works in grabbing back that lost top/bottom buffer area. You can add an extra 1/2" to the depth of the box by "scoring the top flaps" by that same measure and bending them higher up. There is still more than sufficient flap area to safely secure the box. I usually run a Priority Tape band around that top area as an extra safety measure.

Note: You can order any/all of these boxes, free tape, custom labels with your address and any/all possible slips directly from the USPS and delivered free to your house.

Another suggestion is to go to your hardware store and have them create a couple of "plastic templates" for you. The template would be a rectangle that is at least 1/4" larger on all sides than a slab's dimensions. That way, when you receive priority boxes and or come across large enough scrap cardboard, you can cut your own cardboard "Slab Sandwich Protectors" (that you are probably familiar with at least on the receiving end from the larger outfits). Basically, however many slabs you are sending, you stack them (centered) in between the Cardboard protectors first, then tape all 4 edges down tightly… enough to bend the cardboard down slightly.

This provides protection from a serious corner impacts… and also serves as an effective way to reduce the slab's momentum as the slab will slide further into the "tapered" cardboard sandwich wedge further before the comic inside the slab can achieve momentum on its own and crash into whatever side the impact comes from. This reduces SCS potential.

After that, if you have bubble wrap, wrap top to bottom (not sides) creating additional impact protection. Then use crumpled newspaper balls, noodles or plastic shopping bags to cushion the sides. I recommend this method as it will allow you to use the bubble wrap more sparingly and efficiently.

My advice is to DEFINITELY use the larger of the 2 Priority boxes mentioned (1095). This allows you to provide a "impact cushion" to both the top and the bottom of the slab(s) as well. The smaller box does not.

Even the Flat Rate box is not as large as the 1095… BUT, here's a tip that works in grabbing back that lost top/bottom buffer area. You can add an extra 1/2" to the depth of the box by "scoring the top flaps" by that same measure and bending them higher up. There is still more than sufficient flap area to safely secure the box. I usually run a Priority Tape band around that top area as an extra safety measure.

Note: You can order any/all of these boxes, free tape, custom labels with your address and any/all possible slips directly from the USPS and delivered free to your house.

Another suggestion is to go to your hardware store and have them create a couple of "plastic templates" for you. The template would be a rectangle that is at least 1/4" larger on all sides than a slab's dimensions. That way, when you receive priority boxes and or come across large enough scrap cardboard, you can cut your own cardboard "Slab Sandwich Protectors" (that you are probably familiar with at least on the receiving end from the larger outfits). Basically, however many slabs you are sending, you stack them (centered) in between the Cardboard protectors first, then tape all 4 edges down tightly… enough to bend the cardboard down slightly.

This provides protection from a serious corner impacts… and also serves as an effective way to reduce the slab's momentum as the slab will slide further into the "tapered" cardboard sandwich wedge further before the comic inside the slab can achieve momentum on its own and crash into whatever side the impact comes from. This reduces SCS potential.

After that, if you have bubble wrap, wrap top to bottom (not sides) creating additional impact protection. Then use crumpled newspaper balls, noodles or plastic shopping bags to cushion the sides. I recommend this method as it will allow you to use the bubble wrap more sparingly and efficiently.

Great advice/suggestions! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks everybody! 893applaud-thumb.gif I knew this was the place to come to answer my question.

Yes, and i believe the box that works best is the 1095, but dont quote me on it.

Arex

Actually, there are two boxes. I'm assuming the 1095 is the slightly larger one. There are two schools of thought: use the bigger box, which allows for a lot of bubble/wrap--or use the smaller box (which is a tighter fit) and then fit within the larger box--the double box method. I'll even use these for international shipments---just get some brown paper and cover up the box.

even crumpled up newspaper works well if you don't have bubble wrap!

I am a crumpled newspaper user. My wife gets the Wall Street Journal at home every day. frustrated.gif

I'm not a big crumpled paper fan. I've seen shipments get damaged using paper as it doesn't offer strong resistance against abuse on the box.

Arex

1095 is exactly correct. The other boxes, including the flat rate, make me nervous.

I do use the flat rate but I am extremely careful.