• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larson Marvel Mystery Comics #9

115 posts in this topic

Was just surfing through Heritage's archives and I noticed the following:

Sold in 2002:

mmc9LARSONR.jpg

and then again in 2003:

MMC9LARSON.jpg

Maybe this has been talked about before but the Master Chief thread(s) has opened my eyes to this kind of stuff so I thought I share it. How do you remove pen (a solvent perhaps?) and how does this go undetected on the resub?

Still this is my ultimate grail. cloud9.gif

What's maddening about it to me is that the "88" is what designates it as a Larson. Some books say "Lamont" or "Larson", while others have 2 or 3 digit call-back numbers which are specific to each title. "88" is the call-back number for Marvel Mystery.

Whoever had the work done could have simply had the glue removed to get the blue label. CGC doesn't downgrade for identifying marks on pedigrees.

Not just the staple but the whole cover has shifted. Notice how the chip at the top left is closer to the spine in the blue label than in the PLOD?

You hear about how a cover shrinks slightly if it's disassembled and cleaned. You can see that here. The pages are not visible in the PLOD, except where the chip is missing. In the Universal holder, you can see a sliver of the pages at the top and right edge.

Wow. What a key book and key pedigree, totally ruined (by an evil collector/dealer) and totally blown (by inept/incompetent CGC resto detection). That's terribly depressing. Someone move this to the General forum where I won't see it.

Good job, Surfer.

This particular book was going to be featured in a piece I’m currently working on. I hope to have it up in MG sometime soon. Treatment cases such as this are very troubling to say the least.

Well I have to admit if anyone knows the current owner I'd love to own it regardless of what happened to it. Still it shows that this kind of stuff has been going on since CGC's inception and it makes me do a double take on the books I currently have in my collection.

Wow. What a key book and key pedigree, totally ruined (by an evil collector/dealer) and totally blown (by inept/incompetent CGC resto detection). That's terribly depressing. Someone move this to the General forum where I won't see it.

evil?

and it makes me do a double take on the books I currently have in my collection.

we should all love our books so!! i double take on mine now and again.

heck I even quadruple take sometimes.....Lately I've oggling my Tec 1, over and over and over. It has moved quietly into the realm of obsession...

Surfer, thanks for pointing this out. It's still a beautiful book & I wouldn't turn it down to own it but it 's total Bull #$%@ !!! what the collector /dealer did to that book . It's all about the money!! mad.gif Those numbers like Nearmint said , were part of the Providence. @#$%!!!! Nothings sacred when it comes to the almighty dollar!!

and it makes me do a double take on the books I currently have in my collection.

heck I even quadruple take sometimes.....Lately I've oggling my Tec 1, over and over and over. It has moved quietly into the realm of obsession...

well, since me over here in la. could hear your 'yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeee' on it's arrival to miss., i'd hardly call it "quiet."

well, since me over here in la. could hear your 'yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeee' on it's arrival to miss., i'd hardly call it "quiet."

good point.

How do you "erase" something from a cover that is so undetectable that CGC cannot tell? Since they keep a scanned copy of covers in their database, they should start looking to see if the books match a previous submission, or at least check Heritage like our boards members do ... stooges.gif