• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metro's high grade Batman 1-19 find...

81 posts in this topic

From this week's scoop...

Metropolis Collectibles has recently purchased an original owner Batman collection. The seller of the collection found these books in her attic in a cedar chest where they had been stored by her father since 1944. She thought the collection had been thrown out long ago, but after her father's passing the chest was uncovered.

Shortly thereafter she called around to several dealers. After speaking to Vincent Zurzolo, COO of Metropolis, she decided to travel to New York City to sell the collection. The high-grade run consists of Batman #1-19. “What sets these books apart; aside from the great eye appeal is the fantastic page quality. Page quality has become an increasingly important aspect of comic collecting over the years and these books definitely have it,” said Stephen Fishler Metropolis Collectibles CEO. Both buyer and seller were very happy with the smooth and easy transaction and best of all there are more books on the way.

13881_40958_1.jpg

I'm always curious as to what kind of money these kind of sellers get for their books, especially if they're little old ladies.

Quite a lot actually. And I don't remember any little old ladies in the transaction.

Probably more than if they gave it to an auction house.

S

What are the plans for selling them?

I'm always curious as to what kind of money these kind of sellers get for their books, especially if they're little old ladies.

Quite a lot actually. And I don't remember any little old ladies in the transaction.

S

Steve,

Don't know if you've had a chance to grade these yet, but what are the approximate grade ranges (or actual grades, if you have them) of the books in this collection? They look great. 893applaud-thumb.gif

S

From an inside source, I know first hand Metropolis can write people the biggest checks. If I had a huge collection and wanted paid right away, they'd be the first people I'd call.

Trust me on this one.

You cant really tell from the scan.

The #1 is a nice white page VG.

All the other issues are VF++/NM. The 2-19 look like they have not been read.

S

Yowza, congratulations. I look forward to this collection coming to market...I just wish I was the market tongue.gif

S

Thanks! And congrats on a great find.

S

Thanks! And congrats on a great find.

I second that !! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Can't wait to see what else you have to offer!! cool.gif

Metropolis Collectibles has recently purchased an original owner Batman collection. The seller of the collection found these books in her attic in a cedar chest where they had been stored by her father since 1944. She thought the collection had been thrown out long ago, but after her father's passing the chest was uncovered.

This is exactly the kind of true story that makes me love this hobby more than anything! The sole reason I advertise in the OPG and have my own website is for the possibility of the dream call or email that could lead to this outcome cloud9.gif ( although it has not happened for me.....yet 893crossfingers-thumb.gif)

Steve,

Putting aside the urge to maximize their $$$ potential, I think it would be a shame to split these up .., I have bought and sold similar Batman related groupings raw to the "ususal suspects" here in the Metro DC area, with the proviso that the runs be kept intact. That being said .. I'm sure that they will soon be locked up in those dreaded slabs (where their fresh page quality can not be appreciated); along with "the old ladies" provenance stated conspicously on their "true blue" labels so they can be bought as mere comodities by an evermore skeptic market of crazed collector/investor buyers .. What say you?

George

Steve,

Putting aside the urge to maximize their $$$ potential, I think it would be a shame to split these up .., I have bought and sold similar Batman related groupings raw to the "ususal suspects" here in the Metro DC area, with the proviso that the runs be kept intact. That being said .. I'm sure that they will soon be locked up in those dreaded slabs (where their fresh page quality can not be appreciated); along with "the old ladies" provenance stated conspicously on their "true blue" labels so they can be bought as mere comodities by an evermore skeptic market of crazed collector/investor buyers .. What say you?

George

hold on a minute George...I know you are asking for input from Steve of New York, not me- Steve of Maryland, but Metropolis has no obligation to keep these books together as a single owner collection, and further more I sense a little CGC and investor bashing within your message here....what's up with that? confused-smiley-013.gif