• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

We've had alot of discussion about multiple versus consolidated threads lately. Part of the problem is that there is no real sense of a community guideline on when to split threads and when not to.

Post your idea of the guidelines for when to break up threads and when not to. Perhaps we'll have a vote after we have some options.

I imagine that the criteria should be built around something like:

1. Total number of books being offered

2. Total number of categories of books being offered and some examples of "separation worthy" categories.

3. Anything else you think is relevant.

Thanks for the interest and the involvement, Arch! :thumbsup:

Good idea Arch, and the goal of any elaboration on the guidelines should be to allow sellers to have multiple threads when their selection warrants it, and to allow buyers to look for items that interest them in a focused fashion.

So, if we're not going to create sub-marketplace forums (GA, SA, BA, Modern), here are some criteria that should be considered:

1) Age of comics (GA, SA, BA, Modern);

2) Slabbed vs. Raw;

3) Price of item(s);

4) Comics vs. everything else (trades, statues, etc.,.)

5) Number of items being offered

It might also be a good idea to have a cap on the number of new threads you can start per day, say 3 or 4...something like that.

I think a very simple, and very simply managed, rule would be that you can only post one new thread, or post to one existing thread, per day.

You could have a few threads running, but they could not be added to with new books or 'updates' on the same day. Choose your poison and then use patience with your other thread(s).

Now, we need to fine-tune this, but I reckon that's a good start. (shrug)

Good idea Arch, and the goal of any elaboration on the guidelines should be to allow sellers to have multiple threads when their selection warrants it, and to allow buyers to look for items that interest them in a focused fashion.

So, if we're not going to create sub-marketplace forums (GA, SA, BA, Modern), here are some criteria that should be considered:

1) Age of comics (GA, SA, BA, Modern);

2) Slabbed vs. Raw;

3) Price of item(s);

4) Comics vs. everything else (trades, statues, etc.,.)

5) Number of items being offered

It might also be a good idea to have a cap on the number of new threads you can start per day, say 3 or 4...something like that.

:o

OK, I was very much hm until I read that last sentence. Mike, this is a recipe for some of the dealers to have the whole front page to themselves. Four threads per day, bump the previous day's threads, and the day before's... :eek:

And to be honest, number of items is not relevant. If they are similar, they can all go in the same thread. Trust me, it can work. (thumbs u

Two running threads at one time. Raw and slabbed.

That's the only difference that needs to be made. You could think of dozens of combinations to rationalize different threads otherwise if you put in the effort...

Jim

OK, I was very much until I read that last sentence. Mike, this is a recipe for some of the dealers to have the whole front page to themselves. Four threads per day, bump the previous day's threads, and the day before's.

Don't think so...this has never a problem, and there has never been a quantitative limit on the number of threads you, me, or any "dealer" can start. In fact, anyone could do this right now even if you were limited to one thread per day, but no one ever has. (shrug)

And to be honest, number of items is not relevant. If they are similar, they can all go in the same thread. Trust me, it can work.

You're thinking in the opposite direction here...I think if you're only selling a couple items, ONE thread is sufficient (the thread title can identify what you're selling). No need to start 2 new threads if you're only selling 2 books, no matter how dissimilar they are. (thumbs u

That's the only difference that needs to be made. You could think of dozens of combinations to rationalize different threads otherwise if you put in the effort...

Jim

So my Hulk #1 (CGC Graded 6.5) should have been in the same thread as my Avengers: The Crossing (CGC Graded 9.6)? (shrug)

Jim

So my Hulk #1 (CGC Graded 6.5) should have been in the same thread as my Avengers: The Crossing (CGC Graded 9.6)? (shrug)

Yes

Jim

Yes

You don't actually know what either title is, do you? meh

Jim

Sure...name it Hulk #1 CGC 6.5 and Other Assorted Junk Slabs . :grin:

Jim

Jim

Yes

I know the first. Why you're selling the second is your business. :baiting:

I think a limit of 1 new thread per day is a good idea. You can always go back and CHANGE THE TITLE/UPDATE your first post to point to any new items in your thread (within 2-3 days) if the main item you're listing has sold.

I personally notice when I see multiple threads by the same person.

Jim

Yes

I know the first. Why you're selling the second is your business. :baiting:

:signfunny: for a junk-monger. meh

Age related sounds good to me. Maybe limited to Gold, Silver, Bronze and Copper/Modern.

Also you might try having a rule that no more then 3 or 4 active threads at anytime. If you want to start a new one, you must close another.

The only people that are asking for multiple selling threads are the sellers.

I personally don't wanna wade through a XX number of seller A or seller B's threads when all that needs to be done is update existing sales threads on a regular basis.

Not me. I ain't asking for more.

I think it should vary by age and comic type but limit it to 1-2 threads...

If a seller has GA/SA/BA and slabbed and raw then you'd be talking 6 possible threads...there has to be a limit. More than two threads can get messy as you can have all the threads on the same page at the same time if they get bumped from page 2,3,4 etc by an :takeit: or a posted question.

R.

Not me. I ain't asking for more.

I think it should vary by age and comic type but limit it to 1-2 threads...

If a seller has GA/SA/BA and slabbed and raw then you'd be talking 6 possible threads...there has to be a limit. More than two threads can get messy as you can have all the threads on the same page at the same time if they get bumped from page 2,3,4 etc by an :takeit: or a posted question.

R.

100% agreement

If you are listing thousand dollar or exceptionally HG books then perhaps a separate thread is justified form the one your listing your Nova run in would be acceptable. Other then that it's just an excuse to take up promo real estate.

We've had alot of discussion about multiple versus consolidated threads lately. Part of the problem is that there is no real sense of a community guideline on when to split threads and when not to.

Post your idea of the guidelines for when to break up threads and when not to. Perhaps we'll have a vote after we have some options.

I imagine that the criteria should be built around something like:

1. Total number of books being offered

2. Total number of categories of books being offered and some examples of "separation worthy" categories.

3. Anything else you think is relevant.

Sounds good.

I would say if you have more than 50 books and there is a serious Age (GA/SA/BA/Mod) category seperation or a Marvel/DC/other seperation then more than one thread might be justified.

:sumo:

Also price.

A bunch of cheapies in one bigger thread and seperating a few (or one) bigger ticket items.