• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dear "Golden Age" Forumites…"Wish you were still here – Hope all is well!"

80 posts in this topic

Recently, Red's thread about Rob_React's departure (big bummer for me) and his subsequent "Speaking of Absent Boardies" thread made me think about all the "Golden Age Board" regulars of yesteryear that don't post anymore (or very, very rarely) and were a big part of why the boards were so much fun during the board's "formative years"… (no offense intended to the current group - but its a much larger, less "tightly knit" community in comparison imo).

Anyway, I just wanted to take a moment (since I have some time to post now) to let some of these fine gents and gals know their presence is missed (by me at least).

Please forgive my poor "short term" memory as I know I'm going to overlook a few that deserve to be mentioned in my initial post. I know I will be chiming with apologies when other "Still-Here Golden Agers" put a shout out to the one's I've missed.

Wish You were still here and hope all is going well to…

Fantastic_Four (James Rudd): who was among my favorite posters and brought a lot to the table IMO. His presence, and views on many topics is sorely missed.

Rickkdogg (Ricky Nygun): who was among the very first (and probably the most effective) at "policing the hobby" long before the board became the "force" at doing same it is today. He's moved up in the world and does not seem to have the time he used to to post.

Joanna: Another voice of reason with the ability to "break the boys up" with a single post when they went down the road of the ridiculous. Her creative writing was also a nice break from the norm. Hope she's doing well with her writing career.

CaptainOfIndustry (Andrew): Still makes an occasional post, but was much more active years ago and was(is) highly respected as one who'd speak his mind regardless of the heat he'd take. I appreciated hearing his POV on important issues.

dam60 (Dave): My good buddy and still in the top 5 "nicest guys in the hobby". Wish Dave was around more making everyone feel "at home" and more important than they/we are.

Delekkerste (Gene): Another good buddy whose knowledge of markets added quite a bit of perspective and good reading. Defected to Original Art and no longer hangs out in Comics General.

DARTHDIESEL (Carl D): Another occasional poster, but was much more active years ago. I know Carl has his hands full these days but I miss his well thought out input.

Supapimp (Elrod): Another occasional poster, but was much more active years ago. I enjoyed his constant "hammer ball-breaking"

Shuley Brothers (Mike and Kevin): Both into original Art now… I miss those guys.

and a shout out to some other missing "NewBoarders" I have not seen in awhile

Steve Burns

Jeff Resnick

hi.gifhi.gifhi.gifheadbang.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifheadbang.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifheadbang.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifheadbang.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gif

Hey Bruce nice post - I think all of the people you mentioned from the class of '02 were pretty instrumental in getting me to quit lurking in early '03 and start posting, partially due to the fact that I agreed with a lot of what was said and of course because I disagreed here in there. 27_laughing.gif

But the people metioned definitely added to the quality of posts posts on the forums..... thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif and here posts JBud, a newer board member (that I missed) that is definitely not posting enough anymore and whose input is missed. Glad to hear from you, Happy TG… and glad the aforementioned made you a regular, even if you no longer are.

hi.gifheadbang.gifthumbsup2.gif

Hey Bruce nice post - I think all of the people you mentioned from the class of '02 were pretty instrumental in getting me to quit lurking in early '03 and start posting, partially due to the fact that I agreed with a lot of what was said and of course because I disagreed here in there. 27_laughing.gif

But the people mentioned definitely added to the quality of posts posts on the forums..... thumbsup2.gif

Not sure exactly, but someone mentioned that he posted on his website that he was no longer happy here for various reasons… one being shills, I think. Losing Rob is a big loss.

BTW… how the hell are ya' Joseph hi.gif

What happened to Rob?

I was thinking the same...

Not sure exactly, but someone mentioned that he posted on his website that he was no longer happy here for various reasons… one being shills, I think. Losing Rob is a big loss.

What happened to Rob?

Don't want to stir up more muck, but the recent thread about Rob's departure is here . He came back for a few posts in it. Its a shame he left; his posts influenced me to join the boards. And the list of other missing members are folks who added a lot - I haven't been here all that long but remember them from my lurking days.

http://comics.drunkenfist.com/

From Rob's site:

Friday, November 17, 2006

Comments

I'm turning on comments. I don't know how long I'll actually keep them up, but we'll see how it goes. Hopefully between the spam and the flame wars I want to avoid, it won't be too much of a hassle.

Basic rules? Play nice. Be respectful of people. I left the CGC Forums behind for a reason. I don't want to recreate that attitude here and get to pay for the privilege smile.gif

oops. parallel post. foreheadslap.gif

Recently, Red's thread about Rob_React's departure (big bummer for me) and his subsequent "Speaking of Absent Boardies" thread made me think about all the "Old School Board" regulars of yesteryear that don't post anymore (or very, very rarely) and were a big part of why the boards were so much fun during the board's "formative years"… (no offense intended to the current group - but its a much larger, less "tightly knit" community in comparison imo).

Anyway, I just wanted to take a moment (since I have some time to post now) to let some of these fine gents and gals know their presence is missed (by me at least).

Please forgive my poor "short term" memory as I know I'm going to overlook a few that deserve to be mentioned in my initial post. I know I will be chiming with apologies when other "Still-Here Old Schoolers" put a shout out to the one's I've missed.

Wish You were still here and hope all is going well to…

Fantastic_Four (James Rudd): who was among my favorite posters and brought a lot to the table IMO. His presence, and views on many topics is sorely missed.

Rickkdogg (Ricky Nygun): who was among the very first (and probably the most effective) at "policing the hobby" long before the board became the "force" at doing same it is today. He's moved up in the world and does not seem to have the time he used to to post.

Joanna: Another voice of reason with the ability to "break the boys up" with a single post when they went down the road of the ridiculous. Her creative writing was also a nice break from the norm. Hope she's doing well with her writing career.

CaptainOfIndustry (Andrew): Still makes an occasional post, but was much more active years ago and was(is) highly respected as one who'd speak his mind regardless of the heat he'd take. I appreciated hearing his POV on important issues.

dam60 (Dave): My good buddy and still in the top 5 "nicest guys in the hobby". Wish Dave was around more making everyone feel "at home" and more important than they/we are.

Delekkerste (Gene): Another good buddy whose knowledge of markets added quite a bit of perspective and good reading. Defected to Original Art and no longer hangs out in Comics General.

DARTHDIESEL (Carl D): Another occasional poster, but was much more active years ago. I know Carl has his hands full these days but I miss his well thought out input.

Supapimp (Elrod): Another occasional poster, but was much more active years ago. I enjoyed his constant "hammer ball-breaking"

Shuley Brothers: Both into original Art now… I miss those guys.

and a shout out to some other missing "NewBoarders" I have not seen in awhile

Steve Burns

Jeff Resnick

hi.gifhi.gifhi.gifheadbang.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifheadbang.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifheadbang.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifheadbang.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gif

Bruce remember the Wizard of Oz. Where there are great people there needs to be honors and medals. This forum should have a hall of fame established with you Bruce as the chair to honor the pioneers or anyone who has made great contributions to the board. There would be a hall of fame thread and once a year someone is selected by some process. Just like football that has the Ring of Fame. etc. There would be certain rules and honors that come with being a hall of famer but that would have to be determined. One is they have there own thread and when they post there are certain rules. How this is set up is limited to our imagination. They would be honored at some dinner once a year paid for by CGC People who won the CGC awards this year would be the first group maybe but time to think out of the box here. Also the CGC forum needs to start taking on a youtube appearance where we can post our videos of us showing our comics or acting out our heros in costume or anything to bring this community closer.. I hope Steve is an out of th box guy but time to chang the format of the forums to be more up to date.. thanks. jd.

What happened to Rob?

Great! Thanks Bruce. Drop me a line anytime - take good care. thumbsup2.gif