• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is everyone flipping now??

33 posts in this topic

I love to flip cloud9.gif I love to cherry pick ebay for comics, CGC them and flip them right away for multiple return thumbsup2.gif

You make it sound sooo easy confused-smiley-013.gif

If you have strong knowledge about the hobby (ie. issues, condition, current trends,etc.), then it is.

thumbsup2.gif

I love to flip cloud9.gif I love to cherry pick ebay for comics, CGC them and flip them right away for multiple return thumbsup2.gif

You make it sound sooo easy confused-smiley-013.gif

If you have strong knowledge about the hobby (ie. issues, condition, current trends,etc.), then it is.

thumbsup2.gif

As someone who has flipped before for both profit and to add to my collection, I will be the first to admit that it is a lot more difficult in today's environment then, say, 2003 or 2004. The market has changed quite a bit from just two years ago, at least for HG Silver Age Marvels. Buyers have a lot more power, and are a lot more picky and aren't so eager to pull the trigger on a nice 9.2-9.4 Marvel as they used to be. Prices are also running in a pretty wide range for 2nd tier titles, so you better be on the low end of that range if you're buying. The availability of resources like GPA has also helped to create a more savy, and less impulsive, high grade buyer.

Not to say that quality books aren't commanding good money, but 9.0s and 9.2s, and to some degree, 9.4s have fallen a bit out of favor. They are a lot more available then they used to be.

I really wish I was more active in 2003-2004, and had bothered to devote more resources to buying and selling, but that's the benefit of hindsight. I don't see a return to those wild and wolly days of jaw-dropping prices every week for SA Marvels anytime soon.

Lastly, I should also add that a number of the "regulars" I sold to with frequency a few years ago have either sold off or are on a buying hiatus, which doesn't help. Since I don't run a website or frequent shows a lot, cultivating new leads and buyers isn't as easy for me as it is for a full-time dealer. I'm sure there are still people out there laying out good money for quality books on sites like Pedigreecomics and with dealers like Blazingbob, I just haven't had the good luck of running into them. tongue.gif

this is kind of another subject but it is amazing to me that 9.0's thru 9.4's are not considerd collectible to some people. personally i would collect 9.0's all day long.

8.5s and 9.0s make up the bulk of my high grade Gold and Silver books....of course, I tend to focus on great looking books with high page quality @ a great price. If you're patient, you can get some outstanding looking books (that are also an excellent value) at those two grade levels.

8.5s and 9.0s make up the bulk of my high grade Gold and Silver books....of course

Which sort of contradicts this statement "Not to say that quality books aren't commanding good money, but 9.0s and 9.2s, and to some degree, 9.4s have fallen a bit out of favor".

this is kind of another subject but it is amazing to me that 9.0's thru 9.4's are not considerd collectible to some people. personally i would collect 9.0's all day long.

8.5s and 9.0s make up the bulk of my high grade Gold and Silver books....of course, I tend to focus on great looking books with high page quality @ a great price. If you're patient, you can get some outstanding looking books (that are also an excellent value) at those two grade levels.

Actually, I got a laugh the other day when I realized how many of my books are "2nd Highest Graded" copies. Instead of chasing "the Best", I settled for "just shy of the Best", and found I paid substantially less acumulating these red-headed step children of the CGC census then if I was label chasing the at the highest levels. tongue.gif

8.5s and 9.0s make up the bulk of my high grade Gold and Silver books....of course

Which sort of contradicts this statement "Not to say that quality books aren't commanding good money, but 9.0s and 9.2s, and to some degree, 9.4s have fallen a bit out of favor".

How so, one is a statement regarding the contents of my collection the other is one person's appraisal (with disclaimers) of current market conditions? The two have nothing to do with one another.

And why are you so damned concerned about what I post anyway? Its an opinion of one collector, nothing more. I hardly believe anyone really cares about it, except for you.

blush.gif I collect 4.0 to 7.0 GA

I have never purchased a book, with the intent of flipping it, however, I have had to start over for a third time, resulting in selling 100's of GA and SA books, with some copies 9.4 and above.

If this was considered flipping, I guess my best deal, was purchasing a HG FC #178 for $175 and selling because I needed the money Christo_pull_hair.gif for $515