• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grease Pencil marks and Grading

11 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Im struggling to get input on how much a grease pencil mark impacts grading of a book. Lets say you have a 9.0 book with a grease pencil number on the front, say 1" tall.

What about if its a 9.4? I have seen makes on the cover of 9.0+ books but typically they are initials.

Any inputs welcome. Thanks!

I picked up a Spirit 22 in F/VF with a big grease pencil mark in the upper corner, and I didn't even factor it into the grade at that level. It depends on the size, if it's an arrival mark etc. Personally, I'd say a book in 9.4 or higher shouldn't have a large grease mark, but I could see a 9.2 or below with a moderate grease mark arrival date on an otherwise very nice book.

Hey all,

Im struggling to get input on how much a grease pencil mark impacts grading of a book. Lets say you have a 9.0 book with a grease pencil number on the front, say 1" tall.

What about if its a 9.4? I have seen makes on the cover of 9.0+ books but typically they are initials.

Any inputs welcome. Thanks!

There are books in the 9.6 section (or maybe it was 9.8?) of the second edition of the Overstreet Grading Guide that have good-sized grease pencil numbers on them. At 9.0, as long as it's not dead in the middle of the cover, it's probably fine. Distributor markings just don't knock the grade down the way they used to.