• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comic investments a better option than 401K's and Mutual Funds

82 posts in this topic

Comics should not be investment vehicles. I lost alot of $$$ in the 90's because I thought they were. Condition became much more important than it ever was before and I barely recouped my original investment. Most of my books were restored. I love the genre of comics but looking at them as investments is a recipe for disaster. imho.

remember all those employees of Enron, that had up to 100% of their retirement planning in Enron stock? They broke the golden rule - don't have all your eggs in one basket. A blend of 401k, mutual funds, and high quality investment grade comics should get you where you need to go (plus other investment vehicles of interest to you...gold, gold coins, etc).

I personally find CERTAIN comic books to be a great investment (IMO), if they have the following characteristics:

CGC graded

minimum VF 8.0 / off-white pages

golden and silver age

Superhero

intro of a key character,key character origin, or #1 issue of a popular title

unrestored

fairly scarce

some may not agree, but I think most knowledgable collectors would.

good luck to you..there is some GREAT advice here on the Boards