• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cutting Apart Keys and Selling Panels

37 posts in this topic

It was only a matter of time before someone got the ideas to cut apart key books and sell them panel by panel:

Avengers #1 Diced and Sliced

avengersjumbocut1.jpg

Is this something new or have I just missed it before?

BTW, some autograph sellers tried this with handwritten letters. They would snip up an Abraham Lincoln handwritten letter or note and sell it off 2 or 3 clipped words at a time... all nicely framed. The dealers that did this were rounded trashed by the entire collecting community.

I suppose it's a natural progression given that the card companies slice and dice bats and baseball jerseys and embed small slices in trading cards.

It all sickens me.

It was only a matter of time before someone got the ideas to cut apart key books and sell them panel by panel:

avengersjumbocut1.jpg

BTW, some autograph sellers tried this with handwritten letters. They would snip up an Abraham Lincoln handwritten letter or note and sell it off 2 or 3 clipped words at a time... all nicely framed. The dealers that did this were rounded trashed by the entire collecting community.

I suppose it's a natural progression given that the card companies slice and dice bats and baseball jerseys and embed small slices in trading cards.

It all sickens me.

foreheadslap.gif I hate trimmed books

avengersjumbocut1.jpg

It all sickens me.

Thats sick crazy.gif

Sadly this is not an entirely new situation as for years paper Americana dealers were cutting up copies of various Platinum Age books and selling them by the page matted so that they could be used as decorative items in homes. Some of the books that have be cut up and sold by the page include Buster Brown, Pore Lil Mose, and Charlie Chaplin comics. frown.gif

Sadly this is not an entirely new situation as for years paper Americana dealers were cutting up copies of various Platinum Age books and selling them by the page matted so that they could be used as decorative items in homes. Some of the books that have be cut up and sold by the page include Buster Brown, Pore Lil Mose, and Charlie Chaplin comics. frown.gif

Plat collectors call these folks S(ellers of) C(ut) U(p) M(aterial). It's actually made Pore Lil Mose pretty scarce to get complete, since its appeal crosses into different collecting areas.

It's inconceivable that someone would do this to a silver age book (or any comic for that matter). I think it was born from the way some ephemera dealers would cut up magazines and matte and frame certain pages to sell as "artwork."

Even if you had an imcomplete or coverless copy of Avengers 1, you could do better trying to complete it and then sell it whole. This guy is completely clueless.

Some people will do anything for a buck. foreheadslap.gif

Since comic pages are double-sided, he can only really sell half the panels, right? The panels will almost never align from one side to the other.

I agree that selling a "complete" coverless copy is better.

I have an Obadiah Oldbuck I'm going to do this with insane.gif

I don't know guys, I've seen people on ebay that just cut out the ads from comics, like Qbert and sell them for anywhere from 4.95-19.95 depending on age...and if you look at their past sales, it's huge.

So a beater comic you couldn't sell for a quarter has 4 or 5 good ads worth 4.95 each.....not a bad haul......

blasphemy and all, but some power sellers are making money doing it.

I may have to think about it in retirement. insane.gif

I've done this with *spoon* comics from the 90s.

Speed Racer,AstroBoy,and the like.Sold exciting splash pages for a buck apeice while the entire book sat in my 3/$1 section.

I think you will see more of this with original art as prices skyrocket,but cutting up classic comics makes no sense to me.

893whatthe.giffrustrated.gif

Its a sick world