• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic retailer's response to question regarding value of CGC slabbed books

25 posts in this topic

Question:

I recently asked the following question to a large retail store chain that purchases comics on a regular basis:

I was looking at your various options and such pertaining to buying or trading my comics and I was wondering how books that are "Slabbed" by CGC and have an existing grade are priced if they are on your want lists, etc...

Response:

We buy/trade for comics based on a percentage of the estimated retail value as per grade. In the case of CGCed comics, we do not pay an additional amount to cover costs associated with getting a comic CGCed. For that reason, low valued CGC comics, even if graded up to 9.8, are typically not comics we can buy.

There is a common misconception that getting a CGC grade for a comic somehow increases the potential sale value of that comic beyond the ordinary value. That is not the case. All a CGC grade does is fix the grade via a third party means so that there is no question between the seller and potential buyer as to the actual grade. A comic with a given grade has the same value unslabbed or slabbed. With that in mind, it is worth while and cost effective to pay CGC costs in the case of very valuable comics and even modern, lower value comics where the grade is likely to be exceptionally high (9.8 or 10). But for low value, average grade comics, CGC costs cannot be recovered via a higher selling price.

Because of the amount of additional cost you have tied up as a result of getting all your comics CGCed, your best bet is to try selling them yourself directly to other collectors via Ebay or another auctions site.

Question:

I recently asked the following question to a large retail store chain that purchases comics on a regular basis:

I was looking at your various options and such pertaining to buying or trading my comics and I was wondering how books that are "Slabbed" by CGC and have an existing grade are priced if they are on your want lists, etc...

Response:

We buy/trade for comics based on a percentage of the estimated retail value as per grade. In the case of CGCed comics, we do not pay an additional amount to cover costs associated with getting a comic CGCed. For that reason, low valued CGC comics, even if graded up to 9.8, are typically not comics we can buy.

There is a common misconception that getting a CGC grade for a comic somehow increases the potential sale value of that comic beyond the ordinary value. That is not the case. All a CGC grade does is fix the grade via a third party means so that there is no question between the seller and potential buyer as to the actual grade. A comic with a given grade has the same value unslabbed or slabbed. With that in mind, it is worth while and cost effective to pay CGC costs in the case of very valuable comics and even modern, lower value comics where the grade is likely to be exceptionally high (9.8 or 10). But for low value, average grade comics, CGC costs cannot be recovered via a higher selling price.

Because of the amount of additional cost you have tied up as a result of getting all your comics CGCed, your best bet is to try selling them yourself directly to other collectors via Ebay or another auctions site.

I'm not so sure that's really untrue. Except the part with the same value unslabbed or slabbed. That's not really true --

yeah, sometimes the unslabbed book is worth more because the seller is better able to overgrade or they don't give a grade and a buyer's imagination goes wild and they pay too much

but i disagree about some books, like the mid-grade SA books that guides out at $25-$30. Many of these sell very well at their guide value of $25-$30 in a slab, but we all know how hard it is to guide near guide raw for many of these books. Of course, the seller doesn't get back their $25 slabbing fee, but I digress.

There is a common misconception that getting a CGC grade for a comic somehow increases the potential sale value of that comic beyond the ordinary value. That is not the case.

Sure...

That's why my CGC ASM 252 8.0 sold for $35 last week.

A raw VF would be lucky to get $10.

screwy.gif

There is a common misconception that getting a CGC grade for a comic somehow increases the potential sale value of that comic beyond the ordinary value. That is not the case.

Sure...

screwy.gif

less CGC grading fees and shipping, it still works out to about $10 for the book.

someone direct them to www.comicpriceguide.com please.

CPG's graded values are hypothetical values and have no real meaning in the marketplace.

I'm not putting CPG down either as I am a regular poster in their forums and love the site.

www.gpanalysis.com is a much better resource for gauging real world marketplace values for slabbed books.

Hmmm ... interesting. I know many local dealers won't deal with CGC books or bother getting any books graded because there is simply no market for them around here .... at least in a walk in store where you can assess books first hand.

I always have to consider just how small the graded market is in the whole scope of things. Graded books often make more money in a side by side comparison but there certainly are not that many moving through the market and very few can continually make good returns ..... at least considering that most of the books graded are late SA and Moderns.

In the end I don't think that this dealer and graded market supporters are correct in their simple black and white analysis. I personally don't think the price splits will continue to widen at some point there will be somewhat of a parity.

Hmmm ... interesting. I know many local dealers won't deal with CGC books or bother getting any books graded because there is simply no market for them around here .... at least in a walk in store where you can assess books first hand.

And that should be the case. Only in sight-unseen transactions would the CGC certification be needed if all transacting parties are confident in their grading ability. I know most comic book collector think they can grade so, yes, at the local level, why have CGC comics. Moreover, most local guys will charge more just simply because they add the CGC fees to the cost of the comic when in reality they shouldn't ...

Sure...

screwy.gif

less CGC grading fees and shipping, it still works out to about $10 for the book.

Nope. $15 to grade and ship so I made $20 instead of just $10.

I thought it was a 9.2... sorry.gif

Sure...

screwy.gif

So what do you think you could have sold it for as a raw 9.2? poke2.gif

Sure...

screwy.gif

So what do you think you could have sold it for as a raw 9.2? poke2.gif

Well I'm not a crook. *Nixon Graemlin*

If I was I would have broke it out and sold as such.

I always have to consider just how small the graded market is in the whole scope of things. Graded books often make more money in a side by side comparison but there certainly are not that many moving through the market and very few can continually make good returns ..... at least considering that most of the books graded are late SA and Moderns.

In the end I don't think that this dealer and graded market supporters are correct in their simple black and white analysis. I personally don't think the price splits will continue to widen at some point there will be somewhat of a parity.

I agree. When buying at a convention or from a local dealer, I wouldn't waste money on a CGC book. Ebay of course is a different story.

Personally, I believe most collector's should learn how to grade and buy books locally or at shows. A problem I have always had with CGC books is that you can't look at the interior when inspecting to buy. You just take their word for it. When it's my money, I don't just trust anyone. I have to see for myself. It will save tons of money in the long run not paying CGC premiums.

Question:

Response:

This is an answer that a shop gives to try and get a better price or they might give it because they do want to buy the items.

But those are already sunk costs, and the dealer in question would not be paying for it. He's just trying to scam the seller, by stating that a CGC copy is worth the same as raw.