• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another EC collecting thread!

150 posts in this topic

...sure has lots of stories and insight (including the real reason why the Gaines Files were kept).

West

Uh, don't be a tease, pal. Spill the beans already! gossip.gif

As Al Feldstein explained, It wasn't even Gaines' idea to keep the books. On advice given by others he kept them as proof that the books were actually made and more importantly that the titles were his to use. Apparently if you had a comic with a new title you had to pay some sort of fee to secure that title. That is the main reason that titles such as "Four Color" and "Classics Illustrated" were invented, so that the publisher did not have to pay a fee for each new title for every issue of those series. Anyways Al Feldstein told me it was Gaines's attempts at being frugal that made him keep the copies he did and not because he expected them to have any value decades later.

West

Here's a 'Ghastly' HAUNT cover that, last time I checked, was up for sale on the 'Archangels' web-site priced at $28,000 (Good Lord! Choke! Gasp!). The Ghoulunatics paste-ups have obviously been removed from the art (hence the glue stains along the left side), and the cover has also slipped slightly inside its matt . . .

4cdfbs4.jpg

Another offering from the 'Archangels' web-site . . . Johnny Craig's cover art to VAULT # 30. This, to my mind, ranks amongst the very best of Craig's Horror covers. Archangels has put an asking price of $35,000 on the art! I think this is over-ambitious, even for such a great cover, and I'm surprised to see a higher asking price for a Craig VAULT cover over an Ingels HAUNT cover . . .

29ne639.jpg

SHEESH! Yakity-frickin'-yak! I'm not sure either guy wants to stick around a motormouth like her. Her boyfriend's already half asleep.

Jack

And sticking with Pre-Trend EC, here's an early Al Feldstein MODERN LOVE cover from my OA collection . . .

4gdlwzp.jpg