• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Brave and the Bold #28

25 posts in this topic

Cover flecks missing, chips on the bottom, long crease from top to bottom on front cover, and staple you mentioned put this at probably a 4.0 MAYBE a 4.5

This is my new grail cloud9.gif

Nice book, I'm jealous, seriously! Looks a ton better than my JLA #1

I'd call this a 4.0. Great scans, by the way. Why aren't you satisfied with them? They're excellent.

Well, this one came out better than most of the other scans. I feel that their coming out too bright, making the books like a bit unnatural. I need to figure out how to change the settings soon...

but thanks for the compliment smile.gif

Wow... so about a 4.5, eh? Ouch. I bought this book from Motor City Comics at SD con this week advertised as FN/VF. Of course, I'm to blame for thinking it was a 7.0.

But you know, I think VG+ may be too low a grade. It's very flat, back cover is nice and clean, with the exception of that tear! I'm leaning toward a 5.5

VG+. Looks very nice, but the creasing and tape pull really pull down the grade.

What is tape pull?

"Tape pull" is a term to describe when tape ( usually scotch tape ) is accidentally attached to a cover. Usually from being removed out of the bag and board with tape on the bag. An overexcited collector seeing tape attach itself will sometimes overreact and pull it off quickly causing the effect you see by Aquaman's foot ( the lifting of the cover causing abrasion and scuffing ). I've done it a few times in my day.

i think it is the tape-pull that is the greatest detriment to the final grade...

it may be really only a 4.5 - don't know for sure... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

put if i can overlook the tape-pull... blot that out so to speak, and pretend not to see it...

it does present nicer... maybe 5.0/5.5 confused-smiley-013.gif

The "tape pull" is what I meant by color flecks missing. That and the long crease from top to bottom are what are definitely going to keep this in the grade that I stated before, 4.0

I had an Amazing Spider-man #3 which I submitted to CGC that was INCREDIBLY flat but with a subscription style crease and along with the other kind of defects that is why my book came back 4.0.

This book is a major key and would (in my opinion) be worthwhile to send into CGC to protect it from further damage. Send it in and I'd bet dollars to donuts that it comes back a 4.0

I'm definitely thinking to slab it. But man, to sell this book as a CGC 4.0, I'll be loosing a lot of money as Motor City sold it to me as a FN/VF and priced as such...who's the fool in all this? Oh well, on the bright side, the book will be in my possession for quite a long time...I'll get to enjoy it longer.

Thanks all for your input ,by the way!

I'm definitely thinking to slab it. But man, to sell this book as a CGC 4.0, I'll be loosing a lot of money as Motor City sold it to me as a FN/VF and priced as such...who's the fool in all this? Oh well, on the bright side, the book will be in my possession for quite a long time...I'll get to enjoy it longer.

Thanks all for your input ,by the way!

Well, it's tough because you happened to buy it at a con/show rather than mail order so unfortunately you wouldn't be able to return it.

I completely understand, I took a bath on my ASM #3 too

Wow... so about a 4.5, eh? Ouch. I bought this book from Motor City Comics at SD con this week advertised as FN/VF. Of course, I'm to blame for thinking it was a 7.0.

But you know, I think VG+ may be too low a grade. It's very flat, back cover is nice and clean, with the exception of that tear! I'm leaning toward a 5.5

I don't think you can get better than a 4.0 with the peripheral wear along with the multiple book-length creases. frown.gif Maybe 4.5 if you get lucky, but I wouldn't go that high. I can't believe that Motor City called this a 7.0. That is crazy. foreheadslap.gif

press that baby out!

But seriously, book length crease is going to make it hard to go beyond a 4.5 with the other defects. Although it is a subtle one emphasized by your scanner.

For example, I have this up in my store as a VG/Fine:

thor175.jpg

granted, it's a few years younger and not a key among keys, but it doesn't have the other issues your BB 28 has. And the crease is very subtle, but it's there.

I looked very quickly at the scan and leaned in the 5.0 - 5.5 range, but then I noticed the crease going all the way across the cover, so 4.5 made more sense.

Not that my grading opinion matters much. Books in this range are always a crapshoot and VG/Fine for an older book like this isn't off base.