• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: FOUR COLOR #16 1st Mickey Mouse Comic!!! (restored)

17 posts in this topic

FOUR COLOR #16 for sale!!!!

Hi,

A local colllector, and user of these boards, directed me here to try and sell Golden Age comics and have enlightening conversations about the hobby we all love so much. So, in other words, this is my 1st post, and quite the 1st post it is.

What I have for sale exclusively (at least until this post expires) to members of this site is a restored copy of the wonderful FOUR COLOR #16 featuring the 1st Mickey Mouse in comics by Gottfredson. This comic features the classic Phantom Plot story, initially printed in the funny papers, from 1941. It may be a restored copy, but it might also be one of the nicest looking known copies. This book is so rare and valuable there is no price listed for copies over VF(8.0), and the only copies I've seen for sale outside of this one were through Heritage Auctions.

A little history about this copy. I purchased it recently from a man in Montreal, who advertised it as a VG, but I quickly pointed out its restored state. He purchased it from World's Finest Comics for $1000CDN i nthe 1990s. When asked about the restoration he pleaded ignorance as to its restoration, claiming World's Finest Comics sold it to him as a VG with water stains (see interior pics). I told him he was deceived, or quite possibly, he was attempting to pull a fast on me. Regardless, I made him an offer and he accepted.

Why am I selling it then? Well, after careful inspection and some advice from local Golden Age experts this book was restored more than I thought. Therefore, I've decided to shop it around and use the money for other books. If it hadn't been restored as much as it has I would have sat on it for 5-10 years before selling it, but sadly that's not the case.

As best as I can tell this copy was likely FR/GD(1.5) prior to restoration, and now rates an apparent VG(4.0). As you will see from the pictured it looks better than VG from the outside, but there are some defects that lower it in my opinion, so overall VG. I'm not an expert when it comes to restoration, and I don't have the equipment available to the pros like CGC, but I can safely say this copy has undergone extensive restoration based upon my observations, research, and input from Golden Age collectors.

The most obvious evidence of restoration are:

(1) Color touch on the front cover: (A) a number near the top left corner has been colored over and is not immediately noticeable, (B) the color break from a crease has been filled on the top right corner, © a name is visible near the hidden number, but I believe an attempt to cover it was made, and (9) likely other touch-ups on the cover.

(2) Tear seals: (A) tear on cover from Mickey's belly to his left thumb, (B) bottom right of first interior page looks like it was pieced back together, and © several other "chunks" look to have been sealed or replaced on several page edges, but not nearly as messy or glaring as that 1st page - I don't know enough to determine if simply the use of glue, or Japan Paper or other products/techniques.

(3) Possible spine repair: (A) seems like a few small "chunks" were replaced or repaired much like the "chunks" on the interior pages, and (B) a couple places like that around the staples, which brings me to #4.

(4) The staples look great, which suggests they were replaced, especially if parts of the spine were replaced/repaired. Although they seem to line up well with the "greyish" marks left on the paper adjacent to where the staples are located. I have other low grade unrestored DELLS from the late 1940s with clean staples, so who knows?

That's as far as my knowledge goes. It is quite possible this has been subjected to wash treatments, trimming, and other techniques and procedures but it's beyond my ability to ascertain whether it is the case or not. That's why I've provided several pictures and am willing to field questions and provide other pictures if requested (but please be reasonable because I want to limit the handling of such a valuable book.

I am seeking somehwere near the value of a GD(2.0) copy, or $1500USD. Offers are welcome. I'm simply looking to get my investment and a little profit back. I truly belive it's a reasonable price considering how nice it looks and the fact an apparent GD(2.0) (tape and other amateur restoration) sold for (or was bid up to) close to $1000USD by Heritage Auctions recently. This copy is MUCH nicer looking and can still be read since it's not encapsulated. By the way, for those wondering why I have't had it CGCed, the answer is simple. It'll cost too much and why seal such a low grade restored copy? I'd rather sell it raw and be honest abotu the restoration.

I accept Paypal and Money Orders (and cash if paid in person). Shipping & mandatory insurance paid by yours truly if my asking price is met. Please check my Ebay User ID as a reference: key_issues

Thanks for bearing with me and I look forward to hearing from some of you (I hope!).

Happy collecting!

Brad

Ughh... sorry, but I cannot seem to figure out how to insert my pics. I tried the attach file option from both my Mac at home and my PC here at work, but neither works.... Anyone know how to deal with that?

If not, I can e-mail pics to interested parties.

Regards,

Brad

Key Issues

Thanks for the tip! Now let's see if it works...

Here are the links:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/bfento/mickey_front.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/bfento/mickey_back.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/bfento/mickey_spine.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/bfento/mickey_inside_2.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/bfento/mickey_inside_1.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/bfento/mickey_centerfold.jpg

*fingers crossed*

P.S. Nope, not from Voorhees. I'm, or at least I was, a huge horror fan, and like most people my age we grew up with Friday the 13th (Jason Voorhees).

Cheers,

Brad

A UNIVERSAL CGC VG- 3.5 copy just sold recently on Heritage for around 1100.00

Thanks for the link. I'm aware of that copy, as well as the following from Heritage Auctions:

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=820&Lot_No=4163&src=pr

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=813&Lot_No=1120&src=pr

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=14051&Lot_No=16216&src=pr

All sold around $1000USD (without including the buyer's premium of 15-20%, so tack on another couple of hundred dollars to each total).

I realize this book is a tough sell anywhere near guide over GD, but my copy is much nicer looking than any of those above, and, despite the restoration, should be worth more than those in my opinion. (I wish I could find the link to the apparent 2.0 that sold for about $1000USD+ premium - anyone able to help me out?).

As I said in my first post - I'm also taking offers. Any reasonable offer will be accepted (as long as it exceeds what I paid for it). The great thing about this copy is the fact you can actually read it if you wish, without much fear of dropping it a grade or two in the process!

Thanks for all of the interest in my first post.

Happy collecting!

P.S. After looking at some of those graded copies I have to reassess my opinion of the apparent and original grade of my copy. I'm now thinking the original copy might have leaned towards being a GD, and the apparent grade leans towards VG/VG+, but a strict VG is still reasonable to me.

So, in other words, I believe it to be slightly higher grade than at first. Someone said they would go as far as giving it an apparent VG/FN, but I disagree - that is much too high, considering the sealed rips inside.

Happy collecting!

Welcome to the boards! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Nice book, what other golden age are you thinking of selling?

Thanks!

I've got some other Golden Age books for sale, nothing quite as valuable as this one, but some fun stuff (or so I believe!).

PM me because they aren't exclusive to this board.

(I hope that's not breaking any code of conduct)

I am seeking somehwere near the value of a GD(2.0) copy, or $1500USD. Offers are welcome. I'm simply looking to get my investment and a little profit back.

Hi gang,

I thought I had her sold, but she's still available, and I'll bump her one last time.

news.gif

I've lowered the asking price to $1300USD in a final attempt to sell it before Christmas. If not, I'll perhaps try somewhere else or put it it away for a year or two.

Cheers and happy collecting!