• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age Daredevil Thread (Miller inspired)

94 posts in this topic

I found Daredevil 169 to be a pain to find in NM grade. Same thing for 172. I don't know why these two in particular are so hard. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know if you have sigs turned on or off (I have them turned off), but 169 is one of the few books I still need to complete my run. I have seen a few 9.6 and above, but they have come up when I wasn't that active in pursuing the run or they cost more than I was willing to spend. Still looking...

Here is my copy of 172, cgc 9.6 white:

DD-172_edited.jpg

I am lucky enough to have 3 copies of 169 & 172 (If Whet is interested), do you want me to PM you with pics or post them on this thread. They are in lovely condition, but I am no expert grader and I would be willing to part with one. I actually have 3 sets of all the Miller Daredevils, 4 of some of them.

I'll be interested after the holidays. I'll send you a pm thumbsup2.gif

The story in #183 is actually the first DD story that Miller wrote. It was supposed to be published as DD#167, but the drug theme caused problems with the Comics Code Authority and it got scrapped for a couple of years. There is an original, unpublished cover to #167 with an angel dust theme from when it was supposed to contain the drug story that wound up in #183. I posted a scan of it in another thread a while ago. I'll see if I can find it.

I still have fond memories of these two books.

DD-183_edited.jpg

DD-184_edited.jpg

These were the first two Miller DD's I bought off the stands. Those covers are indelibly etched into my memory, especially the "Dirty Harry" looking 184.

Great stuff

Correction. yeahok.gif DD #168 was the EARLIEST published Miller DD story. foreheadslap.gif

Miller may have written other stories too before DD #168, but we're talking about what made it to public consumption, and when.

R.

The story in #183 is actually the first DD story that Miller wrote. It was supposed to be published as DD#167, but the drug theme caused problems with the Comics Code Authority and it got scrapped for a couple of years. There is an original, unpublished cover to #167 with an angel dust theme from when it was supposed to contain the drug story that wound up in #183. I posted a scan of it in another thread a while ago. I'll see if I can find it.

DD-183_edited.jpg

DD-184_edited.jpg

These were the first two Miller DD's I bought off the stands. Those covers are indelibly etched into my memory, especially the "Dirty Harry" looking 184.

Great stuff

Correction. yeahok.gif DD #168 was the EARLIEST published Miller DD story. foreheadslap.gif

Miller may have written other stories too before DD #168, but we're talking about what made it to public consumption, and when.

R.

I see. Pardon me for sharing an interesting fact that everyone in the world didn't necessarily already know.

DD-183_edited.jpg

DD-184_edited.jpg

Great stuff

R.

I see. Pardon me for sharing an interesting fact that everyone in the world didn't necessarily already know.

It's ok, we're easy around here. poke2.gif

I guess that I could since I do scan the labels too (separately because I don't have a legal sized scanner...I suppose I could use a stitching program).

I just like posting the cover and am including the cgc grade because the books have been graded and this is a cgc message board.

Do you want me to start posting the labels?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I also keep the covers on my hard drive because I sometimes use them as a screen saver while the orginal uncropped cover and label scans I keep on an external drive to be safe.

It would just take a few minutes, but I haven't bothered to upload the labels onto Photobucket.

I just like posting the cover and am including the cgc grade because the books have been graded and this is a cgc message board.

But that's the point - the label is the only thing that separates one HG scan from another. No one can *really* tell a CGC 9.8 from a 9.6 from a 9.4 using an 800x600 scan, not to mention the standard grading inconsistencies. Taken to extremes, why post the image at all, since it's already graded?

Since you paid for the label, and we're on a CGC board, I say proudly display it. 893applaud-thumb.gif

P.S. I can't believe I wrote that - but it's true; I'm a label hound when it comes to scans, I really want to see the label for a CGC book. Otherwise, why bother? confused-smiley-013.gif

Who's got a nice scan of #163 with that great Hulk cover? I loved this series when it came out and I'm drooling over your amazing copies, Trevor. One day.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Arrived in the mail today...

daredevil163.jpg

Other recent pick-ups...

daredevil159.jpg

daredevil160.jpg

daredevil165.jpg

daredevil168.jpg