• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,813 posts in this topic

If the art ID experts here can help me fill in credits for GCD indexing, I'd be grateful.

Why bother? I'll be waiting for Alberto B.'s index to be loaded. In fact, I do hope it's done sooner rather than later.

True. I wonder if it's ever really going to happen. I got the impression that only major features are indexed -- no characters, synopses, etc.

I think the index will only contain artist ID and potentially writer ID but not page count nor sequence nor synopses. I actually wonder how the IDs will be uploaded on the skeleton since there won't be sequences available for most of the books in the skeleton which leads me to fear also that the index won't see the light of the database any time soon. frown.gif

If the art ID experts here can help me fill in credits for GCD indexing, I'd be grateful.

Why bother? I'll be waiting for Alberto B.'s index to be loaded. In fact, I do hope it's done sooner rather than later.

True. I wonder if it's ever really going to happen. I got the impression that only major features are indexed -- no characters, synopses, etc.

I think the index will only contain artist ID and potentially writer ID but not page count nor sequence nor synopses. I actually wonder how the IDs will be uploaded on the skeleton since there won't be sequences available for most of the books in the skeleton which leads me to fear also that the index won't see the light of the database any time soon. frown.gif

Leading back to the idea of indexing with (?) on all the credits, so that the editors have somewhere to put the data.

JPS

This Four Color is puzzling. Overstreet refers to it as a TV tie-in, but it can't be, can it?

The annoying radio hit, "The Chipmunk Song", came out for Christmas 1958.

The TV show, with characters looking nothing like the critters on the cover of this comic book, started in 1961. (I don't have much nostalgia for old cartoons, but I did love the humor of the Clyde Crashcup segments. I wouldn't mind having only those on DVD.)

I didn't know until looking at the Toonopedia that there was an even more successful 1983 animated treatment -- without Clyde Crashcup. Did that versioin show up in comic books?

These chipmunks have "anti-Little Orphan Annie" eyes. It makes them look dmonic!

Jack

Not sure if these have been posted.

FC%201042%20-%20Chimunks.jpg

Those are gorgeous covers!

According to the GCD forum, Roy Thomas is preparing an Alter Ego feature on Paul Norris.

Jack

Can't remember if these have been posted yet, but they came in the mail today.

FourColor0204VGfc.jpg

FourColor0247VGFNfc-1.jpg

Awesome books as usual. We're still tuning to this channel regularly Bullett ... even though I will admit to have gone foreheadslap.gif when I saw the Buffalo Bee issue. crazy.gif

I'm loving it!

I had to look up Buffalo Bee, who was an advertising character for Nabisco Wheat Honeys and Rice Honeys, possibly voiced by Daws Butler. Once I saw the cereal boxes the character was familiar. Funny for an ad character to show up headlining a Four Color book. Are there other examples? Sorta like the TV commercial cavemen getting a TV show.

Nice Toth art in 77 Sunset Strip (1066). Heavy emphasis on Kookie: "...you've got to admit that painting that Candy gave you is the skizziest thing you've ever seen!" Like, crazy, dad.

It's fun having a stack of FC reader copies nearby to follow the thread. I'll try to find the time to scan some hole-fillers.

Jack

I can't remember any other cereal characters outside the 3 issues of Buffalo Bee.

here are some more hole fillers

132.jpg

See those guys in the background? That's me reacting to all the awesome Four Color books on this thread.

122.jpg

In my recent Big Pile o' Dells are Henry 17, 22 and 47. I was surprised that Henry SPEAKS in those books. (Particularly surprising since he has no mouth. Did Harlan Ellison write a story about Henry?) Did Henry speak in his Four Color books?

Jack

In my recent Big Pile o' Dells are Henry 17, 22 and 47. I was surprised that Henry SPEAKS in those books. (Particularly surprising since he has no mouth. Did Harlan Ellison write a story about Henry?) Did Henry speak in his Four Color books?

Of course, Henry speaks -

915201-Henry24Story1s.jpg

915201-Henry24Story1Page2s.jpg

and he even advertises his own books -

915201-Henry24Story2s.jpg

Still, the book retains the feel of the strip fairly well I think.