• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,819 posts in this topic

In my recent Big Pile o' Dells are Henry 17, 22 and 47. I was surprised that Henry SPEAKS in those books. (Particularly surprising since he has no mouth. Did Harlan Ellison write a story about Henry?) Did Henry speak in his Four Color books?

Of course, Henry speaks -

915201-Henry24Story1s.jpg ...

Still, the book retains the feel of the strip fairly well I think.

Thanks -- Funny how in addition to lacking a mouth, Henry has the physique of a pregnant woman.

Jack

someone might get this:

1723646-FC122ed.jpg

Now for a change of pace from all the high-grade slabs, an appropriately raggedy copy of FC 533, Raggedy Ann and Andy. But it's UNRESTORED (unless yellowing cellophane tape counts as restoration). In case you're not sure of the issue number, Elaine O repeated it in the upper right corner. I don't think this issue has been posted yet.

1723646-FC533cs.jpg

And an interior page that I promised for the vacationing Matt, to whom I recommended this book.

1723646-FC533as.jpg

I really like the artwork in this book. Simple, yet a little eerie. I love the lettering. Does anyone know who worked on this series? Jerry Bails' Who's Who suggests that it could be John Stanley, but not a perfect match of year.

Jack

Edited by selegue

Hooray! That one is on my candy cover list, but I don't have it yet. The bizarre, eerie quality is what I Iove about the interiors on those, they are usually just dark enough to be unsettling. It certainly has a dark enough bend to be Stanley, but I never would have guessed him. Thanks for reminding me I need to get more of those - The vacationing Matt hi.gif

I loved this movie as a kid -- probably saw it at the dime summer matinee series.

The image of those spinning-ring holographic imagers (or whatever they were) still stays with me. Technology has almost caught up with them.

I have a vg- reader copy (somewhere) that I should dig out and read.

The quality of your copies continues to knock me out!

Jack

fc1085cgc9.jpg

could you post the current list...I love the innocence of that Oswald....great Walter Lantz book.

I agree -- simple, nice layout and character design. Does anyone know who really drew it? Lantz was just a house name like Leon Schlesinger or Walt Disney, right?

Does paratrooper read this thread? Maybe one of the oddest covers of all for his theme collection!

[edit: I see that you already cross-posted it to his thread.]

Thanks for the list, 'zuma. I'll try to fill in some holes from my recent big Dell buy when I catch up a little (yeh, right).

Jack

Edited by selegue

Nope, Walter Lantz was a true blue guy...I even know a relative who lives in North Pole Alaska.

Not quite what I meant.

I know that Walter Lantz, Walt Disney and Leon Schlesinger were real people, but I seriously doubt that they drew all the comic books with their names on them. I wondered who actually did the art on the Oswald cover. I suppose it's possible that it was Lantz himself, although Disney or Schlesinger themselves probably never drew a line for Dell.

Jack