• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommendations for an Artist to do a commission

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get a cover recreation done of a Joe Shuster Action Comics cover. Here's an example of one of his covers:

16091008017o.jpg

I'm looking for a close replica of the cover to be done (not a "reimagining" of it) Since the artwork is fairly simple by today's standards, can anyone steer me in the right direction of which current artist may be a good choice to commission this? I have very little original art experience so I thought someone here may have a few good recommendations.

Thanks in advance. thumbsup2.gif

Since what you're looking for is to get as close a replica as possible, I would say you need to find someone who does lightbox recreations. There are guys who do recreations of varying quality...I think it all comes down to how well they can ink. It seems to be a touchy subject as there are those who consider lightbox "artists" to be bottom feeders.

I don't have a specific recommendation as I've never used anyone for this type of work before. I've just seen some in CAF galleries. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Be careful with the lightbox guys if you go that route. I had some work done and it was a little "Off". (trying to be tactful here). I have seen some really cool stuff come out of reinterpretation but if you have to get a recreation check out CAF for some of the old school comic artists who now do commissions and recreations. (Actual seasoned vets rather than trace artists).

After a quick search I found this (Can't vouch for it but it looks pretty good) Bob Layton Recreations

Scroll down to the second option.

Steve Erwin does the best reproductions. Here's his information from my Steve Erwin gallery on www.comicartfans.com:

Steve Erwin does the best commissions and he's always available to draw one for you. Here is his pricing information and email address so you can talk directly to the artist, himself: "Price for one figure pencil only: $25/pencils + $5 postage (includes protective packaging) "Price for one figure pencil and inks: $40 + $5 shipping "Price for one figure pencils and inks with background: Minimal background only, add $10. I reserve artistic license "rights" to add extra stuff to a drawing if the mood hits me, but there is no extra charge for that. "Price for additional figures: Previous prices are per figure. Half-figures (waist-up): $30/pencils (pair), $50/inked (pair). "No color except for digital, for example if it's a gaming character intended for online display. Add $20/character. "Price if it they want art larger than 9x11, say, a price for 11x17: Same price as above but shipping is $10. "Commissions are low items on my work totum pole, so it's on a time-available basis. If I'm not busy, a penciled and inked single figure will be done next-day, shipped day after that (depending on post office hours). "As for payment: I accept PayPal. I require an eMail contact first and accept the project. Then I will send my PayPal payment info. As far as checks, I prefer money orders or cashiers checks. As a personal policy, I do not deposit any money until I complete the work; deposits are made before shipping. This way, if --for whatever reason-- I can't get to the project in a reasonable amount of time, the money can be returned. (That's not happened, but I don't want to take money for work not done.)" Steve's email address is: kimacsabe@yahoo.com Anyone interested in commissioning Steve can do so by emailing him at that address.

Here's the link to his Flaming Western Romances cover he drew for me earlier this year:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=25961

Email Steve and see what he'd charge. His prices are VERY reasonable and he's VERY professional. If you need it on a deadline, he'll deliver.

Mike B.

I've had a guy do more then a few for me and I was 100% impressed, only drawback is that he isn't that great at lettering, his name is Greg Woronchak

The following are the commissions I had him due, I'll note if it's complete or with stats, such as the title or word ballons

Army At War #1

The title is a stat

Mystique Cover Reversed - Nudity Warning

Teen Titans #28

Complete

Batman #498

Title is a stat

Knights 4

Complete

And my most favorite of them all as it's my all time cover

Web Of Spider-Man #32

He works on the cheap out of Montreal and has done storyboards for a number of cartoons, Tripping The Rift being one. Always been 100% happy as he is a great guy and will do package deals.

PM me for the group rate I got on 5 pages or for his contact info.