• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phoenix Comic-Con

52 posts in this topic

I'll be in Scottsdale at a meeting that weekend....

Now that my daughter is living with me full time, I'll never have to see that town again, God willing. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Congrats on that! Do you mind me asking what's wrong with Scottsdale...other than the horrendus traffic? I don't live in AZ but I worked in Phoenix/Scottsdale for the past year...just curious.

My Problems With Scottsdale:

1. My ex-wife lives there.

2. I'd rather be in hell, its cooler in the summer.

3. The Hummer to "normal car" ratio is entirely out of balance. As a result, the "*spoon*" to "rational" driver ratio is completely off.

4. The cost of living is outrageous, even by Santa Fe standards, and Santa Fe is well above the national average.

5. Perhaps the greatest indictment is the fact that my ex-wife fits right in. She loves Scottsdale and wouldn't want to be any place else. Nuff said.

Of course, like any place else, I assume that there are good people who live there, I just haven't met them when I've been there.

I'll be in Scottsdale at a meeting that weekend....

Now that my daughter is living with me full time, I'll never have to see that town again, God willing. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Congrats on that! Do you mind me asking what's wrong with Scottsdale...other than the horrendus traffic? I don't live in AZ but I worked in Phoenix/Scottsdale for the past year...just curious.

My Problems With Scottsdale:

1. My ex-wife lives there.

2. I'd rather be in hell, its cooler in the summer.

3. The Hummer to "normal car" ratio is entirely out of balance. As a result, the "*spoon*" to "rational" driver ratio is completely off.

4. The cost of living is outrageous, even by Santa Fe standards, and Santa Fe is well above the national average.

5. Perhaps the greatest entitlement is the fact that my ex-wife fits right in. She loves Scottsdale and wouldn't want to be any place else. Nuff said.

Of course, like any place else, I assume that there are good people who live there, I just haven't met them when I've been there.

So Old Guy, I'm sensing that you don't want us to invite your ex-wife to the Forum Dinner? And that you don't want to go to a Scottsdale restaurant? tongue.gif27_laughing.gif

Seriously, I would be interested to know who all wants to do a dinner Sat night, and maybe those of you who know the area can suggest a Phoenix restaurant, something convenient for those attending? I can do it where ever, so I'll leave it to the locals who know what's where.

Seriously, I would be interested to know who all wants to do a dinner Sat night, and maybe those of you who know the area can suggest a Phoenix restaurant, something convenient for those attending? I can do it where ever, so I'll leave it to the locals who know what's where.

Here's a Map

And a list of local places only a few blocks away.

Aliberto’s Mexican Food

Enjoy tacos, burritos, tostadas, pollo asada (grilled chicken), machaca (shredded beef) and more. Breakfast includes huevos rancheros, steak ranchero, Spanish omelet, chorizo burrito, etc.

263 W. University Dr.

(480) 834-2259

Hours: Everyday from 6 a.m. to midnight

Anita Cookie & More

A great selection of delicious goodies including brownies, cookies, cinnamon rolls, monkey bread, cupcakes & pies. Catering available as well as shipping and delivery service. Coffee, tea, Italian Soda and specialty coffee available.

218 W. Main St.

Ph: (480) 924-7887

Fax: (480) 325-1767

Hours: Mon. - Fri. 5:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Sat. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

BaK’d

Chef-hosted dinners by reservation. Enjoy five to seven courses with creative food and flavor pairings complimented by interesting sauces. The chefs will customize a menu just for your special day.

156 W. Main St.

(480) 610-4528

www.Bakd.net

Hours: Dinner by reservation only

Blimpie Subs & Salads

A healthy alternative to fast food, Blimpie serves freshly sliced hot and cold subs made with the freshest ingredients and bread baked daily. Enjoy great salads, soups, cookies and more.

12 N. Center St.

Ph: (480) 461-8550, Fax: (480) 461-8489

www.Blimpie.com

Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Sat. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Café Michelle

Enjoy sandwiches, salads, soups, bagels, fried rice, and teriyaki chicken bows, all made with fresh, healthy ingredients. Café Michelle also has many snacks, greeting cards, etc.

20 E. Main St.

Ph: (480) 969-3758

Fax: (480) 969-8013

Hours: Mon. - Fri. 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Centennial Grille

at the Marriott Mesa Hotel

Creative twists on outstanding contemporary American cuisine, including grilled specialties and “fit-for-you” selections to fit your healthy lifestyle.

200 N. Centennial Way (in the Marriott Mesa)

(480) 464-5038

www.phoenixmarriottmesa.com

Hours: Mon. - Sun. 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Centennial Java

This bar in the Marriott Mesa lobby offers: Starbuck's Coffee, danishes, muffins, etc. in the morning; Cocktails from 2-11 p.m.; Light fare and the Centennial Grille menu (see bottom of previous column) from 5-10 p.m.

200 N. Centennial Way, (in the Marriott Mesa)

(480) 898-8300

Hours: Everyday 6-11 a.m. and 2-11 p.m.

Centro Botanero

Specializing in Mexican seafood, from ceviche and sauteed shrimp to crab tostadas and Veracruz-style fillets. Enjoy fish, scalloped, white fish or grilled beef tacos. Sit down, let a waitress take your order, have a Mexican or domestic beer and watch multiple TVs! Or just drive-thru.

35 N. Country Club Dr.

(480) 610-0851

Hours: 10:30 a.m. to midnight every day

Christel’s Café & Deli

Family owned and operated for 25 years. Gourmet food without the gourmet price. Serving breakfast, salads, hot and cold sandwiches, and daily homemade soups and specials. Take-out and catering available.

17 W. Main St.

Ph: (480) 964-9104

Fax: (480) 964-2530

Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Sat. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Coffee Talk

Relax in this turn-of-the-century house serving salads, sandwiches, fruit smoothies, yogurt parfaits and more, many of which are made with organic ingredients. Espresso, cappuccino, mochas, chai tea and such round out the menu. Live music Fri. and Sat. nights, and open mic. Weds. nights.

48 N. Robson St.

(480) 844-2353

www.CoffeeTalkAz.com

Hours: Mon., Thurs: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Fri. - Sat. 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Dairy Queen

Ice cream cakes for all occasions. Hot dogs, BBQ sandwiches. Daily special. Mesa's first Dairy Queen location, which opened in 1948. Enjoy delicious soft-serve cones, blizzards, sundaes and much more.

33 S. Country Club Dr.

Ph: (480) 964-9551

Fax: (480) 699-9620

Hours: Mon. - Thurs. 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Fri. - Sat. 10:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Sun. noon to 10 p.m.

El Charro Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge

Family owned for more than 70 years, El Charro serves traditional Mexican dishes for lunch and dinner. Tortillas made fresh daily. Lounge with a full bar.

105 N. Country Club Dr.

(480) 964-1851

Hours: Mon., Weds., Thurs., Fri. and Sat.

11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Sun. 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Closed Tues.

George’s Gyros

Greek and Italian food – fast! Enjoy everything from Gyro sandwiches, pita pizzas and steak fajitas to spaghetti, ravioli and chicken parmigiana, plus American favorites like burgers and hot dogs.

205 N. Country Club Dr.

(480) 890-1325

Hours: Mon. - Sat. 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Grandma's Kitchen

Homemade cooking the way Grandma used to make it. Enjoy quiche, meatloaf, biscuits and gravy, soups, hot and deli sandwiches, and one-pound potatoes topped with sour cream, bacon and more. The breakfast menu includes waffles, omelets and such. For dessert, it's homemade cobbler, ice cream or yogurt. Carry out and local delivery available.

19 N. Robson St.

(480) 969-7219

Hours: Mon. - Sat.: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Jack-In-The-Box Restaurant

This friendly restaurant serves traditional favorites such as burgers, chicken sandwiches, Mexican food and salads. Drive-thru, walk-up and outdoor seating.

68 E. Main St., (480) 649-8204,

www.JackInTheBox.com

Hours: Fri. & Sat. 6 a.m. to 1 a.m.

All other days 6 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.

Main St. Sports Grill

This restaurant has an updated menu for lunch and dinner. Savor the tastes of their classic cheeseburger, chef salad or spaghetti and meatballs. Experience the new flavors of smoked chicken wings, and much more!

260 W. Main St., (480) 833-4240

www.kirkssportsgrill.com

Hrs: Mon. - Thurs. 11 a.m. to 1 a.m.

Fri. & Sat. 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Sun. 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Mango's Mexican Café & Bakery

Enjoy authentic tacos, tamales, enchiladas, burritos and other "Comida Norteña" (food of Northern Mexico) in a colorful atmosphere. Menudo and breakfast burritos too.

44 W. Main St.

(480) 464-5700

Hours: Mon. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Tues. - Fri. 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Sat. 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Micky’s Hot Dogs

Enjoy "Ricos Hot Dogs" along with tacos,

quesadillas, tortas, burritos, breakfast

burritos, and more.

108 W. Broadway Rd.

(480) 668-7777

Hours: 9 a.m. to midnight, every day except Tuesday

Pete's Fish & Chips

As the first fast food restaurant in Mesa, Pete's has been family owned and operated since 1947. Specialties include fish and chips, shrimp, scallops and oysters. Traditional fast food also served.

22 S. Mesa Dr.

(480) 964-7242

www.petesfishandchips.com

Hours: Mon. - Fri. 10 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Sat. 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Picnic Company Gourmet Café

Sandwiches, soups, salads, bagels, cookies, brownies, yogurt and more made with fresh ingredients yet reasonably priced, and prepared fast yet served in a comfortable environment. Delivery available.

142 W. Main St.

(480) 649-3537

www.picnic-company.com

Hours: Mon. - Sat. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Pier de Orleans

Authentic New Orleans cooking. Serving the Valley since 1971. Large selection of seafood, steaks, Cajun dishes, chicken, made-from-scratch soups, and oysters on the half-shell. Cocktail lounge with full bar.

61 E. University Dr.

(480) 844-7437,

www.PierDeOrleans.com

Hours: Lunch Tues. - Fri. at 11 a.m .

Dinner Tues. - Sun. beginning at 4 p.m.

La Salsita Mexican Food

Tacos, burritos, tortas, mariscos (seafood), sopes and other real Mexican fast food made-to-order. Wide range of "jugos y licuados" including fruit shakes & salads.

311 W. Main St., (480) 610-1234

Hours: Fri. - Sat. 7 a.m. to 1 a.m.

All other days 7 a.m. to 1 a.m.

Quiznos Sub

Subs made fresh on Quiznos’ own white or whole wheat baguette-style bread, then toasted golden-brown if you like. Also enjoy cravable salads, scrumptious soups, variety of desserts, and more.

1 N. Macdonald St.

(480) 964-6702

www.Quiznos.com

Hours: Mon. - Fri. 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Sluggo’s Sports Grill

Casual dining sports-themed restaurant with a full bar and menu. Open for lunch, dinner and late-night snacking. Smoking, non-smoking and patio seating available. Great food and fun!

161 N. Centennial Way

Ph: (480) 844-8448

Fax: (480) 844-0360

www.SluggosGrill.com

Hours: Open daily at 11 a.m. Call for Sunday hrs.

Also call for evening closing times.

Sonic Drive-In

Step back in time to the 50s with carhop service. Specializing in fresh homemade onion rings, limeade, and cooked-to-order hamburgers.

235 W. University Drive

Ph: (480) 649-7930

Fax: (480) 649-7931

www.SonicDriveIn.com

Hours: Everyday from 7 a.m. to midnight

Subway

Classic hot and cold subs include 7 with under 6 grams of fat. Try Subway’s new gourmet breads, and the new Subway Selects that combine existing menu items with a variety of new sauces.

161 W. Main St.

Ph: (480) 644-9590

Fax: (480) 644-9602

www.Subway.com

Hours: Everyday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Sweet Cakes Café

Enjoy gourmet sandwiches and soups, and a variety of fresh baked cookies, voted best in the Valley by Get Out magazine. Also enjoy homemade cinnamon rolls and pies.

21 W. Main St.

Ph: (480) 461-9529

Fax: (480) 461-1373

www.SweetCakesCafe.com

Sat. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Valley Eatery Diner Restaurant

This restaurant features New York style dining with Italian and Greek cuisine. You can find anything you are craving on this menu! Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

270 W. Main St.

(480) 649-6476

Hours: Everyday from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Is there a decent steak house in the area? It's a Forum Dinner tradition to go someplace where you can get a steak as big as your head!

thumbsup2.gif

Here's a Map

Aliberto’s Mexican Food

Enjoy tacos, burritos, tostadas, pollo asada (grilled chicken), machaca (shredded beef) and more. Breakfast includes huevos rancheros, steak ranchero, Spanish omelet, chorizo burrito, etc.

263 W. University Dr.

(480) 834-2259

Anita Cookie & More

A great selection of delicious goodies including brownies, cookies, cinnamon rolls, monkey bread, cupcakes & pies. Catering available as well as shipping and delivery service. Coffee, tea, Italian Soda and specialty coffee available.

218 W. Main St.

Sat. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

BaK’d

Chef-hosted dinners by reservation. Enjoy five to seven courses with creative food and flavor pairings complimented by interesting sauces. The chefs will customize a menu just for your special day.

156 W. Main St.

(480) 610-4528

www.Bakd.net

Blimpie Subs & Salads

A healthy alternative to fast food, Blimpie serves freshly sliced hot and cold subs made with the freshest ingredients and bread baked daily. Enjoy great salads, soups, cookies and more.

12 N. Center St.

www.Blimpie.com

Sat. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Café Michelle

Enjoy sandwiches, salads, soups, bagels, fried rice, and teriyaki chicken bows, all made with fresh, healthy ingredients. Café Michelle also has many snacks, greeting cards, etc.

20 E. Main St.

Centennial Grille

Creative twists on outstanding contemporary American cuisine, including grilled specialties and “fit-for-you” selections to fit your healthy lifestyle.

(480) 464-5038

Centennial Java

This bar in the Marriott Mesa lobby offers: Starbuck's Coffee, danishes, muffins, etc. in the morning; Cocktails from 2-11 p.m.; Light fare and the Centennial Grille menu (see bottom of previous column) from 5-10 p.m.

(480) 898-8300

Centro Botanero

Specializing in Mexican seafood, from ceviche and sauteed shrimp to crab tostadas and Veracruz-style fillets. Enjoy fish, scalloped, white fish or grilled beef tacos. Sit down, let a waitress take your order, have a Mexican or domestic beer and watch multiple TVs! Or just drive-thru.

35 N. Country Club Dr.

(480) 610-0851

Christel’s Café & Deli

Family owned and operated for 25 years. Gourmet food without the gourmet price. Serving breakfast, salads, hot and cold sandwiches, and daily homemade soups and specials. Take-out and catering available.

17 W. Main St.

Sat. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Coffee Talk

Relax in this turn-of-the-century house serving salads, sandwiches, fruit smoothies, yogurt parfaits and more, many of which are made with organic ingredients. Espresso, cappuccino, mochas, chai tea and such round out the menu. Live music Fri. and Sat. nights, and open mic. Weds. nights.

48 N. Robson St.

(480) 844-2353

www.CoffeeTalkAz.com

Dairy Queen

Ice cream cakes for all occasions. Hot dogs, BBQ sandwiches. Daily special. Mesa's first Dairy Queen location, which opened in 1948. Enjoy delicious soft-serve cones, blizzards, sundaes and much more.

33 S. Country Club Dr.

Sun. noon to 10 p.m.

Family owned for more than 70 years, El Charro serves traditional Mexican dishes for lunch and dinner. Tortillas made fresh daily. Lounge with a full bar.

105 N. Country Club Dr.

(480) 964-1851

11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

George’s Gyros

Greek and Italian food – fast! Enjoy everything from Gyro sandwiches, pita pizzas and steak fajitas to spaghetti, ravioli and chicken parmigiana, plus American favorites like burgers and hot dogs.

205 N. Country Club Dr.

(480) 890-1325

Grandma's Kitchen

Homemade cooking the way Grandma used to make it. Enjoy quiche, meatloaf, biscuits and gravy, soups, hot and deli sandwiches, and one-pound potatoes topped with sour cream, bacon and more. The breakfast menu includes waffles, omelets and such. For dessert, it's homemade cobbler, ice cream or yogurt. Carry out and local delivery available.

19 N. Robson St.

(480) 969-7219

This friendly restaurant serves traditional favorites such as burgers, chicken sandwiches, Mexican food and salads. Drive-thru, walk-up and outdoor seating.

www.JackInTheBox.com

Main St. Sports Grill

This restaurant has an updated menu for lunch and dinner. Savor the tastes of their classic cheeseburger, chef salad or spaghetti and meatballs. Experience the new flavors of smoked chicken wings, and much more!

www.kirkssportsgrill.com

Sun. 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Enjoy authentic tacos, tamales, enchiladas, burritos and other "Comida Norteña" (food of Northern Mexico) in a colorful atmosphere. Menudo and breakfast burritos too.

44 W. Main St.

(480) 464-5700

Sat. 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Micky’s Hot Dogs

burritos, and more.

108 W. Broadway Rd.

(480) 668-7777

Pete's Fish & Chips

As the first fast food restaurant in Mesa, Pete's has been family owned and operated since 1947. Specialties include fish and chips, shrimp, scallops and oysters. Traditional fast food also served.

22 S. Mesa Dr.

(480) 964-7242

Sandwiches, soups, salads, bagels, cookies, brownies, yogurt and more made with fresh ingredients yet reasonably priced, and prepared fast yet served in a comfortable environment. Delivery available.

142 W. Main St.

(480) 649-3537

www.picnic-company.com

Pier de Orleans

Authentic New Orleans cooking. Serving the Valley since 1971. Large selection of seafood, steaks, Cajun dishes, chicken, made-from-scratch soups, and oysters on the half-shell. Cocktail lounge with full bar.

61 E. University Dr.

(480) 844-7437,

www.PierDeOrleans.com

La Salsita Mexican Food

Tacos, burritos, tortas, mariscos (seafood), sopes and other real Mexican fast food made-to-order. Wide range of "jugos y licuados" including fruit shakes & salads.

Quiznos Sub

Subs made fresh on Quiznos’ own white or whole wheat baguette-style bread, then toasted golden-brown if you like. Also enjoy cravable salads, scrumptious soups, variety of desserts, and more.

1 N. Macdonald St.

(480) 964-6702

www.Quiznos.com

Sluggo’s Sports Grill

Casual dining sports-themed restaurant with a full bar and menu. Open for lunch, dinner and late-night snacking. Smoking, non-smoking and patio seating available. Great food and fun!

161 N. Centennial Way

www.SluggosGrill.com

Sonic Drive-In

Step back in time to the 50s with carhop service. Specializing in fresh homemade onion rings, limeade, and cooked-to-order hamburgers.

235 W. University Drive

www.SonicDriveIn.com

Subway

Classic hot and cold subs include 7 with under 6 grams of fat. Try Subway’s new gourmet breads, and the new Subway Selects that combine existing menu items with a variety of new sauces.

161 W. Main St.

www.Subway.com

Sweet Cakes Café

Enjoy gourmet sandwiches and soups, and a variety of fresh baked cookies, voted best in the Valley by Get Out magazine. Also enjoy homemade cinnamon rolls and pies.

21 W. Main St.

www.SweetCakesCafe.com

Sat. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

This restaurant features New York style dining with Italian and Greek cuisine. You can find anything you are craving on this menu! Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

270 W. Main St.

(480) 649-6476

I hear Subway has a new Steak and Cheese sub poke2.gif

Is there a decent steak house in the area? It's a Forum Dinner tradition to go someplace where you can get a steak as big as your head!

thumbsup2.gif

Here's a Map

Aliberto’s Mexican Food

263 W. University Dr.

(480) 834-2259

Anita Cookie & More

218 W. Main St.

Sat. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

BaK’d

156 W. Main St.

(480) 610-4528

www.Bakd.net

Blimpie Subs & Salads

12 N. Center St.

www.Blimpie.com

Sat. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Café Michelle

20 E. Main St.

Centennial Grille

(480) 464-5038

Centennial Java

(480) 898-8300

Centro Botanero

35 N. Country Club Dr.

(480) 610-0851

Christel’s Café & Deli

17 W. Main St.

Sat. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Coffee Talk

48 N. Robson St.

(480) 844-2353

www.CoffeeTalkAz.com

Dairy Queen

33 S. Country Club Dr.

Sun. noon to 10 p.m.

105 N. Country Club Dr.

(480) 964-1851

11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

George’s Gyros

205 N. Country Club Dr.

(480) 890-1325

Grandma's Kitchen

19 N. Robson St.

(480) 969-7219

www.JackInTheBox.com

Main St. Sports Grill

www.kirkssportsgrill.com

Sun. 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

44 W. Main St.

(480) 464-5700

Sat. 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Micky’s Hot Dogs

burritos, and more.

108 W. Broadway Rd.

(480) 668-7777

Pete's Fish & Chips

22 S. Mesa Dr.

(480) 964-7242

142 W. Main St.

(480) 649-3537

www.picnic-company.com

Pier de Orleans

61 E. University Dr.

(480) 844-7437,

www.PierDeOrleans.com

La Salsita Mexican Food

Quiznos Sub

1 N. Macdonald St.

(480) 964-6702

www.Quiznos.com

Sluggo’s Sports Grill

161 N. Centennial Way

www.SluggosGrill.com

Sonic Drive-In

235 W. University Drive

www.SonicDriveIn.com

Subway

161 W. Main St.

www.Subway.com

Sweet Cakes Café

21 W. Main St.

www.SweetCakesCafe.com

Sat. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

270 W. Main St.

(480) 649-6476

yeahok.gif

Thanks for the help, JBud....

If you could start putting cover sheets on your TCP reports, that'd be greeeaaat.

I hear Subway has a new Steak and Cheese sub poke2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

CGC stated a while back that there would not be any more onsite grading on the west coast due to some shipping problems with their equipment after a California show that caused them to fall behind in their normal Sarasota encapsulation.

I'd imagine that they will be taking submissions there though. Could someone from CGC confirm?

CGC stated a while back that there would not be any more onsite grading on the west coast due to some shipping problems with their equipment after a California show that caused them to fall behind in their normal Sarasota encapsulation.

I'd imagine that they will be taking submissions there though. Could someone from CGC confirm?

We'll be there and we'll be taking submissions. thumbsup2.gif

And by "we" I mean me, Harshen & Bill. shy.gif

We'll be there and we'll be taking submissions. thumbsup2.gif

And by "we" I mean me, Harshen & Bill. shy.gif

So if a forum dinner is put together for Saturday night, will y'all be interested in coming? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Just the three of you? How are you going to handle the throngs of people that are going to mob you? I mean seriously... 3000 people over 2 days is just crazy grin.gif I guess you do need to leave people behind to keep grading sumo.gif

Question on bringing you submissions... to be able to get the 20% discount from some of the various sites should we just fill out the sub forms at home and bring it to you or do you have us do it there?

Just the three of you? How are you going to handle the throngs of people that are going to mob you? I mean seriously... 3000 people over 2 days is just crazy grin.gif I guess you do need to leave people behind to keep grading sumo.gif

Question on bringing you submissions... to be able to get the 20% discount from some of the various sites should we just fill out the sub forms at home and bring it to you or do you have us do it there?

Fill it out online & get said discount. Print out 3 copies, bring them & the books (and payment! tongue.gif) to the CGC Booth. That's it!

Rhino-- I'll ask around, it seems very likely. I'll post an answer tomorrow.

That's great. Now we just need to pick a venue and time.... 27_laughing.gif

I think I'll start a separate thread. If nobody local wants to volunteer to handle organizing the dinner, I will do it.

Buehler? Buehler? Anyone?

Rhino-- I'll ask around, it seems very likely. I'll post an answer tomorrow.

Put all three of us down! yay.gif

...on the list for dinner... blush.gif

feedback.jpg

Feedback, Winner of Stan Lee's "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" Attends!

Game on! as Feedback, Winner of Stan Lee's "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" attends the Phoenix Comicon!

Feedback, whose secret identity is Matt Atherton, will be meeting with fans, posing for photos, and signing autographs both Saturday and Sunday.

Feedback won the inaugural season of Sci-Fi's Stan Lee's "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" show this past year.

Matt Haley, "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" artist and Art Director Attends!

And if having the winner of "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" attending wasn't enough ... we have the show's artist and Art Director Matt Haley coming as well!

Matt Haley's art was used in "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" and he is Art Director for the Second Season. He'll be able to answer all your questions about the first season, the upcoming second season airing this summer, and if you ask him nicely, he may even do a sketch of Feedback for you.

hchaykin.jpg

Howard Chaykin attends!

Courtesy of Hero Initiative

Howard Chaykin is making his first appearance at the Phoenix Comicon and is coming out courtesy of the Hero Initiative!

Howard has been prolific over his thirty year career in the comic industry with critically acclaimed and fan favorites series and titles. His recent work includes Civil War New Avengers and Guy Gardner Collateral Damage.

Howard will be signing at the Hero Initiative booth Saturday and Sunday.

ccg.jpg

CGC commits to the Phoenix Comicon!

CGC, also known as Comics Guaranty, WILL be attending the Phoenix Comicon!

As many know - they had to reschedule their appearance from our September show as they were moving to a new facility.

The move is complete, they're looking forward to meeting Arizona fans AND they are accepting comics for grading.

gp_emcee.jpg

George Perez emcees Art Auction!

George Perez has agreed to Host and emcee our Art Auction on Saturday evening.

We have many pieces donated from our guests - published art, original sketches, lithos, painted pieces on canvas and more!

Our Art Auction begins on Saturday at 8 PM in the Palo Verde suites. You may register as a bidder any time at the convention at the Information Desk located just outside the Theatre and Palo Verde rooms. (Registration is free).

The Art Auction promises to be a great evening with some great art - don't miss out.

Security Volunteers Sought by Comicon

The Phoenix Comicon is searching for volunteers with a background in security to help our Security detail the weekend of the convention.

Please email Convention Director Matt Solberg at matt@phoenixcomicon.com for more information or to express interest.

Arizona says YES to the Hero Initiative

Since we announced our partnership with the Hero Initiative last week, many have opted in through our Booster Bucks program to lend a hand and show how they treasure all comic creators. We thank you for your support.

The $2 Booster Bucks goes directly to the Hero Initiative and their efforts to strictly help comic creators in need.

Buy Tickets Here

Friday Preview Night!

We will be selling tickets at the door on Friday evening beginning at 5 PM. Remember - we open "unofficially" for a Preview Night on Friday January 26th at 6 PM.

Only FULL EVENT ticket holders get in for Friday Preview Night, so one more incentive to purhcase a full event ticket.

Tickets now in stores!

Pick up your tickets at your local store (full listing on our website). Or purchase online. Either way - beat the lines at the convention and purchase your tickets today.

More good things to come...

McFarlane Toys announcement next week ...

along with new Anime guests ..

plus our Gaming Tournament Schedule ...

and the first look at the exclusive Dark Phoenix print by Arthur Suydam!

(Can you believe the Phoenix Comicon is just over two weeks

away?)

*UPDATE!!*

Marriott Hotel Price Increase

(Last day at $119 rate is Thursday)

Our special $119.99 room rate for rooms at the Marriott Hotel is only good till Thursday (that would be tomorrow) and then it is no more.

Beginning Friday the rate will be $179.99.

The Marriott is close to selling out of rooms as well.

Remember to use the code "CCPCCPA" when reserving your room online or by phone 480-898-8300.

Marriott Mesa

Hey is Perez doing any commisions or convention sketches? He is the main reason I will be attending. Depending on the cost I might submit my first books to CGC. Its kinda hard justifying spending a lot of money on getting books slabbed when I am never going to sell them but if its cheap enough it may be fun.

al_simmons.jpg

Al Simmons, Inspiration for Spawn, attends Phoenix Comicon!

Al Simmons, curator of the McFarlane Companies and the man who inspired Spawn, will be signing at the McFarlane Toys booth on Saturday, Jan 27.

Bring a camera and get the autograph of the man behind the legend.

In addition, McFarlane Toys will also be featuring daily giveaways with some very exclusive items. Scheduled signing times and giveaways are listed below (but first - some other great developments!).

sarcasm_hime.jpg

Sarcasm-hime attends!

(Cosplay creator extraordinaire)

Cosplay guest Sarcasm-hime will be coming to our convention direct from Canada! She'll be sharing tips and tricks she's learned over the years of cosplaying, including her interests in the design and construction of complex elements, especially armor and jewelry.

great_cthulhu.jpg

WizKids Games Unleashes Cthulhu on Phoenix!

(HorrorClix Cthulhu will be Grand Prize)

The fine folks at WizKids Games have donated boxes upon boxes of HeroClix, MechWarrior, Pirates, and HorrorClix uniques for prizes at our convention in the Gaming Area.

This week a scream went out when we opened a recent delivery from them and inside was Cthulhu from HorrorClix himself - just waiting to be won at the Phoenix Comicon!

Our Gaming Schedule is now online and includes WizKids gaming, along with Console Gaming sponsored by Bookmans, tabletop, figures, and card gaming.

And remember ... all Full, Saturday, and Sunday ticket holders gain access to the Gaming Area.

Plus - for those whose only interest is gaming - we offer a special $8 gaming ticket good for all weekend (Friday night too).

Phoenix Comicon Gaming Schedule

McFarlane Crime Mobile parks it!

(Be there for great giveaways)

You will also get a chance to check out the "Crime Mobile" - the original 1955 Chevy Bel Aire featured in the Image comic book, Sam and Twitch.

McFarlane Toys scheduled booth events:

Saturday, Jan. 27

Spawn Manga giveaway- Vol. 1 and 2

Enter our raffle to win a prize package - Drawing at 4pm

Noon - 3pm: Al Simmons Signing

Sunday, Jan. 28

Spawn Manga giveaway- Vol. 3

suydam_print.jpg

Dark Phoenix exclusive print first look!

Check out the exclusive Dark Phoenix print by Arthur Suydam at the link below. It measures 11x17 and is available to the first 1,000 full event ticket purchases.

Those who have purchased tickets at our September show, online, and in stores are eligible for this print. It is the first 1,000 ticket purchases that will get this print.

Look for the special Dark Phoenix distribution table in the main hall lobby.

First look at Dark Phoenix print:

phoenix_print.jpg

CGC offers Signature Series grading!

CGC will be offering its Signature Series grading at our convention. This entails a CGC Representative viewing a signature and then the book being submitted for grading.

More details will be available as we finalize staff and volunteer staffing schedules.

Security Volunteers Sought by Comicon

(Plus Volunteers for additional positions needed)

The Phoenix Comicon is searching for volunteers with a background in security to help our Security detail the weekend of the convention.

We are always in the search of good people to volunteer for a four hour block of time. Get free admission and a t-shirt when you volunteer.

Please email Volunteer Director Mauri Bigler at volunteer@phoenixcomicon.com for more information or to express interest.

Tickets in stores till Wednesday!

In-store ticket sales will conclude on Wednesday.

Online ticket sales will conclude on Thursday. Tickets purchased online beginning 1/19 will be held at Will Call at our Registration booth.

At-the-door Tickets go on sale Friday at 5 PM.

Purchase your tickets at your local store (full listing on our website). Or purchase online. Either way - beat the lines at the convention and purchase your tickets today.

Announcements next week:

New Anime Voice Actor...

New Comic creator ...

plus our Film Festival Schedule...

and an Amazing Grand Prize for our Masquerade Cosplay Contest!

(Can you believe the Phoenix Comicon is just over one week away?)

top.gif

onslaught.jpg

Rob Liefeld Exclusive Onslaught Reborn

sketch variant cover at Phoenix Comicon!

While at the Phoenix Comicon make sure to pick up the Jay Company Comics exclusive sketch variant cover to Onslaught Reborn #1 by Rob Liefeld. And if you purchase it on Saturday, get it signed by Rob Liefeld himself, who will be signing at his booth all day Saturday and Saturday only.

The comic is $10 and only available at the Jay Company Comics booth

(18-19).

gp_emcee.jpg

George Perez announces final three conventions till 2009

(Phoenix Comicon one of final three cons)

George Perez recently announced that after April of this year, he will not be attending any conventions till 2009. The Phoenix Comicon is one of the final three conventions he is set to attend (New York Comicon, and Pittsburgh Comicon are the other two).

Do not miss your chance to meet this living legend. Mr. Perez will be at the Convention both Saturday and Sunday signing at the Hero Initiative Booth on their behalf.

Read George Perez's statement here

egl_alice.jpg

Alice in Wonderland Tea Party!

(Saturday at 3:30 PM in Gazebo)

The EGL Tea Party returns to the Phoenix Comicon this Saturday at 3:30 PM in the Gazebo.

Follow hosts Sarcasm-hime, M. Alice LeGrow, and Armand Villavert down the rabbit hole to our Elegant Gothic Lolita Tea Party! This year's tea party is inspired by the infamous "Mad Tea Party" in Alice

in Wonderland. All types of Lolita are invited: EGL, Sweet Lolita, Kodona, Punk, and even Lolita-inspired cosplay.

Our Mad Tea Party promises to be full of fun--after all, we're all mad

here.

RSVP to anime@phoenixcomicon.com

Kadaj's Sword is Prize for Masquerade Cosplay Contest!

(Stillman Blades donates two swords)

The fine folks at Stillman Blades in the Superstition Springs Mall have donated two swords for top prizes in our Masquerade Cosplay Contest, held on Sunday at 4 PM.

One of the swords is a Shirisaya sword - with a wood sheath. Much like the Samurai of yore used. The second sword is Kadaj's sword from Final Fantasy - with the twin blades and detailed sheath.

And to see other swords and cool stuff you won't find anywhere else in the valley - travel on over to Stillman Blades in the Superstition Spring Mall (It's truly an amazing store with great and knowledgable staff).

(Convention Director Matt interjects: "The swords will be awarded to those of age. For winners underage, alternate but equivalent value prizes will be awarded based on parental discretion.")

commercial.jpg

YouTube our commercial!

It is a shamless plug - but check out our commercial currently running

valleywide on Cartoon Network and Sci-Fi Network.

Steve Rude hosts Painting Demo

(Saturday 1 - 4 PM Superstition South Ballroom)

Join award-winning comic artist Steve Rude as he demonstates "How to paint your favorite Superhero" with this live painting demonstration for all Phoenix Con attendees. Fans and professsional alike are invited to attend one of Rude rare public painting demos as he shows you step-by-step how to paint your favorite comic super hero. Meet Steve on Saturday afternoon from 1-4 in the Superstition South Ball.

Volunteers Sought by Comicon

We are always in the search of good people to volunteer for a four hour block of time. Get free admission and a t-shirt when you volunteer.

We are also looking for volunteers with a background in security to add to our Security detail the weekend of the convention.

Please email Volunteer Director Mauri Bigler at

volunteer@phoenixcomicon.com for more information or to express interest.

Today last day for Ticket sales in stores!

Wednesday is the last day tickets will be available in local area stores. After Wednesday tickets will only be sold online (and held at Will Call) or at the door beginning Friday 5 PM (and continuing throughout the weekend).

Purchase your tickets at your local store (full listing on our website).

(Can you believe the Phoenix Comicon is THIS weekend?)