• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comico Primer #2 cover on ebay

71 posts in this topic

Hey Guys-

I realize some of you are genuinely upset about these auctions and others are just poking fun. I have known Brian for quite some time and think he is a really good guy. I think the art business is somewhat new to him and he is trying to feel out the market.

In my opinion you should contact Brian if you really want to know what is going on with his auctions. After speaking to him I think you will find he is a good guy, sincere and enthusiastic about talking comics, art and doing business.

V

I agree with Vinnie.

The magic bean joke had nothing to do with Brian, it was a thing Steve Fishler and I used to joke about.

I, as well as CGC, have had nothing but good transactions with Brian confused-smiley-013.gif

That said, I know Hari and I also trust whatever he tells me, so maybe there is a communication break down (ZEP headbang.gif).

Like Vinnie said, give him a call......

Hi guys,

I guess my initial email sounded vindictive and bitter, but it wasn't meant as such. I met Brian and we talked at length. He is indeed a nice guy. We just couldn't see eye to eye, and he wanted even more than I was willing to offer. Not only did I offer a lot, but everyone Brian talked to told him that I was 'the guy' for this. So, I'm not sure why he feels he can get more.

Let's see what happens. If someone else buys it, then they are a bigger fan than I and they deserve to have it. If it doesn't sell, which I'm assuming will happen, then perhaps Brian will come down to reality. After all, I highly doubt he has even 10% of his asking price 'into' the piece.

This all being said, it's all just paper, and I'm certain I'll find something else to spend my money on!

Best,

you should give him a deadline at which time your offer will expire, provided

a- you haven't already done so

and

b- you would actually stick to a deadline and not buckle like a belt if he calls you on it

and

b- you would actually stick to a deadline and not buckle like a belt if he calls you on it

But this is Dr. Hari Naidu we are talking about. Not KK. He's a upfront, open, honest, easy to communicate with collector. Not a secretive, blustering, joker. I wonder: when Mitch I. had deal for the Amazing Spider-man cover, but KK offered to buy it for a big premium over the asking price, then the deal fell apart, do you think KK bought the cover? I know if Hari had the gall to pull a stunt like that he would back it up via the purchase of the cover.

and

But this is Dr. Hari Naidu we are talking about. Not KK. He's a upfront, open, honest, easy to communicate with collector. Not a secretive, blustering, joker. I wonder: when Mitch I. had deal for the Amazing Spider-man cover, but KK offered to buy it for a big premium over the asking price, then the deal fell apart, do you think KK bought the cover? I know if Hari had the gall to pull a stunt like that he would back it up via the purchase of the cover.

Absolutely. In this hobby (and in life), your word has to be solid. I would never back out of a deal, verbal or otherwise. Your reputation is everything in this hobby (and, again, in life).

Thanks for the kind words, by the way.

The COMICO PRIMER # 2 cover now has an opening bid. Interestingly, the bidder is also from New Jersey. Also, looking at the bidder's own list of items for sale, he has some used Hockey Gloves for sale . . . BRIAN'S Hockey Gloves.

Co-incidence that 'Brian' appears to be the names of both bidder and seller (both from New Jersey)?

Not jumping to any conclusions, but anyone else care to opine?

meh, it's an outrageous opening bid on a 'reserved' auction. I was thinking about tacking on the opening bid myself, just to play the game.

A bid in a situation like this does not show seriousness in any way.

But if you want to play the suspicious scenario game, what if the reserve is $15,000.99 and the next bid is the selling bid? By tapping bidding on your own auction, and having other collectors think, 'this isn't serious, so I'll happy bid on the piece', you trap someone into an outrageous deal.

The only safe bid on this auction was the first one. Even if the seller closed the auction and chose to sell to high bidder, there is no obligation of a high bidder completing the transaction as it was a reserve auction.

The COMICO PRIMER # 2 cover now has an opening bid. Interestingly, the bidder is also from New Jersey. Also, looking at the bidder's own list of items for sale, he has some used Hockey Gloves for sale . . . BRIAN'S Hockey Gloves.

Co-incidence that 'Brian' appears to be the names of both bidder and seller (both from New Jersey)?

I'm not jumping to any conclusions, either. It's a safe bid in that the reserve has not been met. At the same time, it helps create a perception that there *is* a buyer out there who's willing to pay $15K.

If there are actually $25K offers for this book, I would expect there to be some more bidding at the end. At least. After all, if there really are interested parties at that high $$ level, wouldn't they place some bids just to try their luck if nothing else? We'll see.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see this auction get pulled by the seller before it ends.

It's a unique piece and clearly, there is at least one guy out there who would treasure it. I won't pretend I fully understand the OA collector mentality, but it would be a shame if this piece became stigmatized through a seller's actions.

priceless.

Brian is the name of the manufacturer. They're not personalized as you are thinking.

Brian's

Brian is the name of the manufacturer. They're not personalized as you are thinking.

Brian's

foreheadslap.gif Thanks for the info. As I have zero interest in most sports, the manafucturer's name is totally meaningless to me. tonofbricks.gif

and

Absolutely. In this hobby (and in life), your word has to be solid. I would never back out of a deal, verbal or otherwise. Your reputation is everything in this hobby (and, again, in life).

never meant to imply anything or impugn Dr. Naidu's character. I was just suggesting that in order to avoid any long-term haggling with the seller, that Dr. Naidu give a time limit on his offer. Leveraging the seller, as it were. I hope Hari did not take offense at my suggestion

and

never meant to imply anything or impugn Dr. Naidu's character. I was just suggesting that in order to avoid any long-term haggling with the seller, that Dr. Naidu give a time limit on his offer. Leveraging the seller, as it were. I hope Hari did not take offense at my suggestion

I knew what you meant. Definitely did not take offense.

Any updates on this thread?

I e-mailed the seller during the time his auctions were running, enquiring what the reserve prices were for the SPECTRE # 6 and COMICO PRIMER # 2 covers.

I was told that the SPECTRE # 6 cover had a reserve of $12,000, which I thought was over-ambitious, and that offers of $25,000+ had been made on the COMICO PRIMER # 2 cover.

At the close of the auction, neither reserve prices had been met (two bids on the SPECTRE # 6 cover, ending at $5,300 . . . and one bid on the COMICO PRIMER # 2 cover at $15,000).

I e-mailed the seller during the time his auctions were running, enquiring what the reserve prices were for the SPECTRE # 6 and COMICO PRIMER # 2 covers.

I was told that the SPECTRE # 6 cover had a reserve of $12,000, which I thought was over-ambitious, and that offers of $25,000+ had been made on the COMICO PRIMER # 2 cover.

At the close of the auction, neither reserve prices had been met (two bids on the SPECTRE # 6 cover, ending at $5,300 . . . and one bid on the COMICO PRIMER # 2 cover at $15,000).

The seller wanted 25K cash. I said no. I think they will end up keeping it for a few years and then trying again, especially if they're not willing to consider part-trade.

The seller wanted 25K cash. I said no. I think they will end up keeping it for a few years and then trying again, especially if they're not willing to consider part-trade.

Sorry to hear the seller was beyond reason.

There's also a subtle difference between him, "wanting $25k cash", as opposed to him advising he'd actually, "received offers of $25k-plus".

If he'd received these offers, how come the cover hasn't sold?

Hi all,

Managed to finally get this cover from Brian, through an intermediary. I had basically moved on, but they recently reached out to me to try to get a deal done, and it actually went pretty smoothly and quickly.

It's now in the home it should be in! Patience is indeed a virtue, it would seem.

So, now I finally have my three favorite Grendel covers from the Comico period:

Devil by the Deed Wraparound Painted Cover (1986)

Grendel # 1 Cover (1983)

Comico Primer # 2 Painted Cover (1982)

Will try to scan it in later, but for now here's a picture from the auction that ran last year. Looks just like the comic book, but about 15% larger overall, and obviously all original art (some white-out for effect, some zip-a-tone, some paste-up lettering). It's obvious Comico was on a shoe-string budget at the time!

1865668-Primer2.jpg.68e64d30970e755803ded9aabe775403.jpg

Hi all,

Managed to finally get this cover from Brian, through an intermediary. I had basically moved on, but they recently reached out to me to try to get a deal done, and it actually went pretty smoothly and quickly.

It's now in the home it should be in! Patience is indeed a virtue, it would seem.

So, now I finally have my three favorite Grendel covers from the Comico period:

Devil by the Deed Wraparound Painted Cover (1986)

Grendel # 1 Cover (1983)

Comico Primer # 2 Painted Cover (1982)

Will try to scan it in later, but for now here's a picture from the auction that ran last year. Looks just like the comic book, but about 15% larger overall, and obviously all original art (some white-out for effect, some zip-a-tone, some paste-up lettering). It's obvious Comico was on a shoe-string budget at the time!

Congratulations! That's great!

I assume from the preceding discussion in this thread that they must have come back to you with a more realistic offer. headbang.gif

"When someone sees a piece they really want they reach out to me right away. "

Hmm....really high minimum bids AND reserves above them AND language inferring off Ebay offers accepted...I wonder if these auctions will run the full duration.

Chris

sign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gif