• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comico Primer #2 cover on ebay

71 posts in this topic

sign-funnypost.gif

I'm just surprised eBay is letting him run the auction when he's so clearly fishing for outside offers and has no intention of letting the auction run its course.

All his auctions look like that. They all have the same exact message. He's run hundreds of them that way.

Hi all,

Managed to finally get this cover from Brian, through an intermediary. I had basically moved on, but they recently reached out to me to try to get a deal done, and it actually went pretty smoothly and quickly.

It's now in the home it should be in! Patience is indeed a virtue, it would seem.

So, now I finally have my three favorite Grendel covers from the Comico period:

Devil by the Deed Wraparound Painted Cover (1986)

Grendel # 1 Cover (1983)

Comico Primer # 2 Painted Cover (1982)

Will try to scan it in later, but for now here's a picture from the auction that ran last year. Looks just like the comic book, but about 15% larger overall, and obviously all original art (some white-out for effect, some zip-a-tone, some paste-up lettering). It's obvious Comico was on a shoe-string budget at the time!

Excellent news, Hari, I'm very pleased for you. thumbsup2.gif

Glad they, uhm . . . "reached out to you." grin.gif

Congratulations. I'm red , white and black with envy. thumbsup2.gif

The 3 Grendel covers you own are treasures.

With a name like Grendel33, sounds like you understand why I like the character so much. Ironically, I didn't like the subsequent versions as much. There's just something about that original Hunter Rose character that appealed to me.

With a name like Grendel33, sounds like you understand why I like the character so much. Ironically, I didn't like the subsequent versions as much. There's just something about that original Hunter Rose character that appealed to me.

Not ironic at all; most everyone I know who likes Grendel likes the Hunter Rose version above all else, no contest. I couldn't even read the Dark Horse minis after War Child. I'm looking forward to Matt Wagner's new Grendel story coming out for the 25th anniversary.

Congrats Hari, those are some great pieces!

Not ironic at all; most everyone I know who likes Grendel likes the Hunter Rose version above all else, no contest. I couldn't even read the Dark Horse minis after War Child. I'm looking forward to Matt Wagner's new Grendel story coming out for the 25th anniversary.

Not to hijack the thread but.... I think the irony is that the Hunter Rose character that most Grendel readers (myself included) like is not really supposed to be a likeable character.

I too did not care much for the subsequent versions and the Grendel Tales stories until I started re-reading the entire Grendel library about a year ago. When I was in my teens and early twenties a lot of the political/religious overtones didn't connect with me. (Somewhat) Maturing in my mid-30's I think has helped foster a better undertanding of Wagner's and the other storytellers' vision.

The Devil's Hammer story is my 2nd favourite Grendel story after Devil By The Deed and I highly recommend it ( I actually was able to buy an OA page which Rob Walton told me was only the 3rd or 4th page to leave his possession . The two stories by Macan and Biukovic are also highly recommended especially when you consider the creators' background and situations during the whole process of writing and drawing those stories.

Again, congrats on the purchase 893applaud-thumb.gif

Not to hijack the thread but.... I think the irony is that the Hunter Rose character that most Grendel readers (myself included) like is not really supposed to be a likeable character.

I too did not care much for the subsequent versions and the Grendel Tales stories until I started re-reading the entire Grendel library about a year ago. When I was in my teens and early twenties a lot of the political/religious overtones didn't connect with me. (Somewhat) Maturing in my mid-30's I think has helped foster a better undertanding of Wagner's and the other storytellers' vision.

The Devil's Hammer story is my 2nd favourite Grendel story after Devil By The Deed and I highly recommend it ( I actually was able to buy an OA page which Rob Walton told me was only the 3rd or 4th page to leave his possession . The two stories by Macan and Biukovic are also highly recommended especially when you consider the creators' background and situations during the whole process of writing and drawing those stories.

Again, congrats on the purchase 893applaud-thumb.gif

Absolutely he's not supposed to be likable! Yet, the protagonist is a "monster" (Argent), so Wagner was undoubtedly biasing us to the "villain" (Grendel) on purpose. Very interesting how he did that, not sure it's been done anywhere else in comics.

I'll check out the storylines that your mention.