• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gary Carter?

87 posts in this topic

He should be in the hall of fame. For a catcher his stats were as good as any catcher who played.

He's in the hall of fame thank you very much. Went in 3 or 4 years ago. makepoint.gif

as a montreal expo? confused-smiley-013.gif

foreheadslap.gif Thats what I was saying

Anyone know why he left the hobby?

No ideas anyone? frown.gif

My understanding was that keeping Comic Book Marketplace afloat was forcing him to sell comics from his collection. Maybe this broke his heart so he just said "Hell with it" and sold it all.

frown.gif

Gary is a real gentleman, and one of the most knowledgeable collectors I have known. He did a great job on CBM - the issues are worth buying just to read his editorials. Always pleasant to talk to, both in person and on the 'phone, I cannot think about San Diego Comicon without associating it to Gary. He would be getting around and meeting everyone, his Dad would be running their stand and you could spot the Church books in mylars with green stickers, a mile off!

Gary is a real gentleman, and one of the most knowledgeable collectors I have known. He did a great job on CBM - the issues are worth buying just to read his editorials. Always pleasant to talk to, both in person and on the 'phone, I cannot think about San Diego Comicon without associating it to Gary. He would be getting around and meeting everyone, his Dad would be running their stand and you could spot the Church books in mylars with green stickers, a mile off!

Hey I remember all of that!

Gary is a real gentleman, and one of the most knowledgeable collectors I have known. He did a great job on CBM - the issues are worth buying just to read his editorials.

I love his editorials/reminiscences too. Two that stand out for me are the one about "a stack of Brave and Bold 28s" (ie, rushing to his local store with his brother to get one and seeing the whole stack there) and the one about how he went door to door one summer asking everyone for old comics. Which resulted in one absolute trove of fun Dells.

Marc

From my understanding, he sold off his Mile High collection to a Japanese investor many years back and the remainder of his comic collection or at least a good portion of it was purchased by So Cal Comics of San Diego.

Do you have any idea of when he would have done so?

I also really enjoyed Michelle Nolan's articles in the Comic Book Marketplace and I wonder what she's doing these days.

confused.gif

From my understanding, he sold off his Mile High collection to a Japanese investor many years back and the remainder of his comic collection or at least a good portion of it was purchased by So Cal Comics of San Diego.

I also really enjoyed Michelle Nolan's articles in the Comic Book Marketplace and I wonder what she's doing these days.

confused.gif

Had a nice chat with Michelle in Chicago, one of her projects is a comphrehensive cataloging of a certain pulp title(Thrilling Love maybe?) or pulp publisher, can't remember if it was title specific or not.

She's still writing a column in the monthly CGC e-Newsletter. You can read the archives here and I was under the impression she has been writing for CBG. I wouldn't know since I let my sub expire around the time it went mag format.

Some of my fondest memories from the "old days" involve visiting Gary's home at San Diego time every year. He was a joy to be with, and was a fountain of knowledge and entertainment.

The highlight was always when he'd plop some large stacks of incredible books on the table for me to look through (and I was able to even purchase some of them!).

I truly miss his presence in the hobby.

STEVE

I'm sure Michelle will be at Wondercon. Never been to one she was not at. Interesting person to talk with.

I don't think she was there in 2005. I think I caught one glimpse of her in 2006. In 2004 she bought a Baby Huey from me in the first hour. headbang.gif

I'm sure Michelle will be at Wondercon. Never been to one she was not at. Interesting person to talk with.

I don't think she was there in 2005. I think I caught one glimpse of her in 2006. In 2004 she bought a Baby Huey from me in the first hour. headbang.gif

I think she was there in 2005. Maybe not but do think we chatted at Harley's table. I reminded her of our 2004 dicussion regarding the comparison of the comic code on comics and a similar comparison of the cute-ing up of some tv shows.

confused.gif

Nolan writes a monthly column on vintage comics for Comics Buyers Guide.

He should be in the hall of fame. For a catcher his stats were as good as any catcher who played.

He's in the hall of fame thank you very much. Went in 3 or 4 years ago. makepoint.gif

as a montreal expo? confused-smiley-013.gif

hey Carter played just as good for the expos as he did for the mets! He was really good!