• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would You Sell Your Comics To Pay a $10K Vet Bill?

133 posts in this topic

You're not heartless gossip.gif

Its a good possibility that he/she is using this ploy during the Holiday Season when people tend to be more giving to dump alot of LG books confused-smiley-013.gif

And I'm sorry but it would be a very cold day in a hell for me to shell out 10k in Vet bills crazy.gif

The pain of losing an animal would fade a lot quicker than a $10,000 debt. I have had dogs and other pets and would do everything reasonably possible to save them. When an animal impacts the quality of life for my family then I draw the line.

10K in vet bills? Financial hardship for my family? I love animals and would not even think twice about it......no way. Sometimes you have to be realistic about the situations that arise in your life, and this would be one of them. Sorry to sound cold, but putting your family's well being at risk to pay for an animal is ludicrous. Priorities need to be re-evaluated here.

Scott

I don't want to sound heartless so I'm going to qualify my previous statement. It seems that society here in North America gets very easily detached from reality. Me, knowing about the hardships my family went through (communism seizing up everything they owned, torture because of religious beliefs, and fleeing through the mountains on foot in the winter time with 6 children) find it very difficult to place a large price on the life of an animal. Animals are great. My 4 children love them. I CAN however think of a better way to spend $10 K. If that amount of money is disposable for someone, then by all means. I myself would rather get a new pet that would offer my children another 10 - 15 years of joy, and put that money either toward them or a charitable cause that would much better benfit the public. And I would definately not risk my life to save an animal in case of fire etc. Again, don't want to offend, but that is my belief.

R.

Sorry to offend, but you know there is a problem in this world when people put their own lives into hardship for an animal. I've had pets (I was brought to tears when my dog left), but this is unreasonable to me.

I don't think selling some low grade silver age ff's is putting your life into hardship, some people are really attached to their pets. I would have to factor in the age of the animal and how much suffering is invilved, but it's an honest choice for one to make. Some people sell their comic books to buy big screen tv's for heaven's sake.I mean when you think about it, comic books are about as superfluous as they come. So cut the person some slack, unless it's a hyped story to sell the books, after all, they are only comic books and unless it had a negative affect on the person financial future, I'd say go for it. By the way, I don't have a dog and I can't stand my wife's cat, even though the little buggers seems to love me. It's alway's trying to trip me when I walk down stairs. No operation for that demonic kitty!

The whole thing about all of this is that it stinks of SCAM

to high heaven.

I think someone should report him to the authorities and

if there aren't any vet treatments made to the animal...

all funds provided should be used to support the dog while the owner rots in jail.

It really URRKS me to see this type of slop...

All the scammers out there believe that everyone else besides them are retarded.

Unfortunately there are some with sincere kind hearts will fall for this compostable_fertilizer.

Christo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

I think this is one of the reasons why I don't own any more pets. I would feel extremely guilty if I could afford to pay for their medical expenses, but choose not to. I had plenty of cats die on me as a kid, but my excuse was always that my family was fairly poor and couldn't afford vet expenses. Heck, as a human being I had to tough out medical ailments, or go to the free clinic to get my baby teeth pulled or battle the measels. frown.gif

it's not so easy to just let an animal who really is part of the family suffer and die if you can do something to fix the problem. making yourself go broke to do it, that's something else. deferring other pleasures/luxuries? that seems simple enough. Junior would probably be happy not to get that trip to Disney World if it means saving Rufus.

what happens so often is that the animal could easily have another 3-5 years to live if very healthy, you don't know exactly what the problem is to start with, it takes the Vet a few hundred/thousand in bills/visits to determine what the problem is and prescribe a "solution" and then the solution doesn't work and the Vet decides you have a terminal situation. But you don't know this until you've burned through money. But what were you supposed to do, put the animal to sleep first sign of trouble or ignore suffering that might be alleviated at the first $200 Vet visit?

As somebody who wastes my cash on funny books I am hardly one to talk. And I also have a cat, a hamster, a large Australian frog and misc fish.

However, it absolutely kills me to think of all the well cared for cats and dogs in Canada and the US when you consider all the kids that go to school hungry. Let alone the millions of starving children throughout the world.

It's pathetic ...

I have a dog that I absolutely Love. He is just as much a member of my family as any of the humans in it. So on that note I spent 7 grand to keep my ex wife from having my daughter so I could keep her safe. I would spend every bit as much to save my dog. Oh it would hurt me emotionally to loose the books and art. But it would hurt worse to loose him. You can buy back books you can't buy back your dog.

My wife and I have three 'kids' One dog and two cats. Once they pass we've agreed not to get any others. It's not about medical cost, but about how attached my wife gets to the animals.

We took our cat to the vet and the assistant clipped his claws (they were LONG). Once we got home the cat disappeared completely for over 24 hours. When he came back my wife just sobbed and sobbed. I love my animals, but not to that extreme.

Would I spend 10,000 on vet bills...I would have to ask the vet some hard questions. How long will he live without the operation? How much pain? How long will it extend his life? And more.

We probably would pay the 10k - we don't have any kids so we're attached (my wife more than me obviously) to them.

I really don't mean to be heartless, but unless I owned Secretariat, I can't imagine paying a $10,000 veternarian bill. 893whatthe.gif

PLEASE HELP!!! My dog is very sick. Her Vet bill is over $10,000. I am selling my whole Fantastic Four Collection of comics and toys to try to pay for some of the bill.

827b_1.JPG

Thay are going to need a lot more than a few dozen lowgrade FFs.

people that love their dogs with go to extreme lengths to keep them.....kudo to them for being so selfless and caring thumbsup2.gif....with that said, I'd find another way to pay the bill....and I don't have a dog.

I have a dog that I absolutely Love. He is just as much a member of my family as any of the humans in it. So on that note I spent 7 grand to keep my ex wife from having my daughter so I could keep her safe. I would spend every bit as much to save my dog. Oh it would hurt me emotionally to loose the books and art. But it would hurt worse to loose him. You can buy back books you can't buy back your dog.

I'm seriously hoping there is a grammatical error in there somewhere, cause i can't believe i just read this.

Animals are not people. They will never be on the same level. That same dog that is so friendly and nice, can turn on a dime given the right stimuli (they do have wild isntincts you know) and tear your throat out or maul a child. I've seen it happen to well kept, well trained family dogs. I know there are people that will do this too, but I'm not advocating we keep them well fed and kept either.

Most of the time, the money is not spent for the dog but more for the person. Most of the time, a large amount of money needed to keep an animal alive is because the animal has undergone harsh trauma. I myself would not want to be kept alive in a state of constant suffering so i would definately not want my family to be selfish and keep me around for their own needs.

I have to agree with Ubie. Too many hungry and poor people in this world to spend that much money on a dog.

Again, no offense intended. Just my belief and value system. A little old fashioned i suppose but it's me.

Anyhow, that is the last i am going to say on this subject.

R.

I had a golden retriever with epilepsy. I must have spent 15K on medicines and doctor visits over the 7 years he had seizures. Was it a waste of money? Probably. Would I do it again? Of course, without question.

I also spent $3300 on an emergency stomach surgery on Christmas Day (got the call from the kennel at 7 AM walking off a plane at O'Hare) - he ate a tennis ball and had a life-threatening intestinal blockage. Was it a waste of money? Of course it was. I could have bought 8 purebred golden pups.

Would I do it again? Of course. He was family. screwy.gif

I am with Donut all the way. I haven't had any vet horror stories yet, but my dogs mean alot to my wife and I. I hope I am never in a situations where I have to consider selling some books to pay for a vet bill.

As somebody who wastes my cash on funny books I am hardly one to talk. And I also have a cat, a hamster, a large Australian frog and misc fish.

However, it absolutely kills me to think of all the well cared for cats and dogs in Canada and the US when you consider all the kids that go to school hungry. Let alone the millions of starving children throughout the world.

It's pathetic ...

No !.......Its compassion and I have it for all living things.

I admit of course people are the most important things, but the level of compassion I have for someone or something is not determined buy what my estimate of there intelligence is.

Sorry Dan, I like you alot dude but that is just insane reasoning IMHO flowerred.gif

Pets are great, had 3 dogs growing up and loved them all, but to say an animal is part of a family? You value your pets as much as you value your wife or children?

To be honest with you(not you actionkid, but to everyone the thread) I dont see how this thread can go anywhere but ugly. Things like this are obviously very personal in nature, and it is a decision that one must make alone, or with family. And nobody else can really say anything about it right or wrong, because there isn't a right or wrong. just what one family feels is right to do in a given situation.

While we can express our opinions , I just dont see anyone changing how they feel based on what another person may or may not say in a thread like this.

IMHO I think this thread should just fade away quietly. The Pitt Bull thread in the Water cooler brought out way too much vitriol due to the different points of view on the subject. I hope this thread does not follow suit.

The person who made this auction may or may not be legit. That is worth talking about. And if he is found out to be a scammer, well then that is obviously worthy of conversation.

Sorry to come off all preachy, but I have received some bad news today and am a little touchy I guess.

Ze-