• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would You Sell Your Comics To Pay a $10K Vet Bill?

133 posts in this topic

I have a dog that I absolutely Love. He is just as much a member of my family as any of the humans in it. So on that note I spent 7 grand to keep my ex wife from having my daughter so I could keep her safe. I would spend every bit as much to save my dog. Oh it would hurt me emotionally to loose the books and art. But it would hurt worse to loose him. You can buy back books you can't buy back your dog.

I'm seriously hoping there is a grammatical error in there somewhere, cause i can't believe i just read this.

Animals are not people. They will never be on the same level. That same dog that is so friendly and nice, can turn on a dime given the right stimuli (they do have wild isntincts you know) and tear your throat out or maul a child. I've seen it happen to well kept, well trained family dogs. I know there are people that will do this too, but I'm not advocating we keep them well fed and kept either.

Most of the time, the money is not spent for the dog but more for the person. Most of the time, a large amount of money needed to keep an animal alive is because the animal has undergone harsh trauma. I myself would not want to be kept alive in a state of constant suffering so i would definately not want my family to be selfish and keep me around for their own needs.

I have to agree with Ubie. Too many hungry and poor people in this world to spend that much money on a dog.

Again, no offense intended. Just my belief and value system. A little old fashioned i suppose but it's me.

Anyhow, that is the last i am going to say on this subject.

R.

I know that dogs have animal instincts. The dog that I am so attached to ate half my face about four years ago. I had four or five teeth marks I still have a scar to remind me. I had three stiches on my right ear lobe from the same attack where my ear was almost torn off. It was my fault. You are right animals are not humans nor will the ever be. They are actually better than humans

Here are some things that humans do that dogs don't

Humans grow up and become fratboys, rapist, serial killers, suicide bombers, terrorist, religous finatics, pro-life advocated, baby makers, burglers, bank robbers and many more horrible things.

The last time I checked dogs haven't raped women, started wars, strapped bombs on to blow themselves and others up, robbed banks, or found religon. Animals are better. I find it sick for people to think humans are the superior species. This is just as bad as racisim.

I have a 4 year old nephew that had is nose ripped off. And it wasn't done by a rapist, serial killer or terrorist. It was by a dog. A "non violent" family dog. For every human that grows up to be a rapist and terrorist there is at least one that grows up to be a scientist, doctor, youth worker, loving father, etc.

Your comparison is not valid.

Again, I didn't say that anyone that loves Dogs is pathetic. I think that the situation we are in is pathetic. We save millions of dogs at Vets but let millions of Africans die of aids? You telling me the dog is a greater contributor to society then a person in Africa?!?

And for the record. I'm not a militant on this issue. I own pets, have paid vet bills AND I saved that dog's life as I wrestled my Brother In Law to the ground as he tore off to kill that dog that tore off his son's nose.

confused-smiley-013.gif

please, medical care for a pet causes this much debate when people blow huge wads of cash on silly stuff all the time? People get married and spend $50-$100K on the frigging party. People go to fancy clubs and pound down bottle after bottle of $500-$1000 champagne.People buy $5 million dollar homes. Thousands of dollars on boob jobs and other plastic surgery. There is so much money wasted on silly stuff and we've done over 100 posts on a sick dog?

P. Diddy's 2005 birthday party cost him $3 million dollars. That's 1 million mosquito nets to prevent the spread of malaria, 85 Aids clinics in the Third World and 3 million measles vaccinations for need children ...

893censored-thumb.gif

To clarify my stance ...

Would I spend $10,000 on comics in one pop? No freakin' way.

Would I spend $10,000 on a dog? No mutherfreakin' way.

Would I stop a friend from spending $10,000 on a dog? Nope, it's his money. But I would hope he has also spread a little cash around to charity.

Would I spend $10,000 at a doctor for one of my daughters? In less than a heartbeat ...

I would not spend 10,000 dollars on a pet. For a family member yes, and yes if it took more than that. I love animals but they do not share the same emotions as we do as much as we would like them too. Death is part of life and is something kids must experience. I have had pets, when I was a kid, die and I was heartbroken. I got over it. $10,000 is a lot of money for me but I don't think I could spend it if it were throw away money. I would hope I would throw the money away into a good humanitarian charity.

Uberman I agree with most of your thoughts...just wondering why you saved the dogs life? Had it been me i would have killed the dog for doing that.

I stopped my Brother In Law from doing something stupid cause if he hurt the dog you KNOW he would have been charged with Cruelty to Animals. Absolutely NOTHING happened to the dog beyond having to be quarantined for one week.

What would happen if I bit a kid's nose off (and I do mean OFF, they sewed it back on but the scar is there)?

Anyways, I'm 100% sure that the two sides to this debate can agree that they disagree.

I'm gonna chime in again and say that if this auction is not a phony play for sympathy bids, then people should be able to spend their money on their pets medical needs. When you stop and think about it, this is a collectors web site. We all spend money on frivolous items, money that could go into investments that are more benificial to mankind or if one has surplus money then to charities and good works.I'm more of a softy. but my wife is more pragmatic. If we had an eight year old dog, that needed ten thousand dolars worth of surgery to possibly save his life, I'd have him put to sleep.If it was a thousand dollar procedure that would save his life for sure,then I'd do it. It's up to the people involved. If you look at how lucky we are with all the possesions we have, we at least owe our animals something. But I won't throw good money down the toilet because vets are no longer as practical as they used to be.I used to have a few american/ french alpine goats for pets and to wittle away at the brush on our land. One, Krypto, was killed by a pit bull. and one developed a tumour in his mouth and was slowly starving to death. My vet told me there was no hope, but I continued to help it eat by feeding it so called cancer fighting foods like ground up broccoli and cabbage and carrots. But the poor thing was suffering and the vet put her foot down and told me to put the animal down so I had her give the dog two injections and Flynx died peacfully with me holding him.I stretched it out too long. It didn't cost anything more than a few 40.00 farm visits, but I appreciated the vet's honesty. Funny thing is, the vet eventually quit her work because she said that 50 percent of her job was putting animals to sleep and she just couldn't stomach it anymore.The remaining goat, Webley, started pining away for his buddy Flynx and died about a year later. They were great pets, but I couldn't take getting attached and then having only live 8 or nine years.

I think animals have a higher value/worth than some people. They love unconditionally. They are part of the family. It's funny, when I tell someone I'm going to meet them at a certain time, if I'm late, they're probably upset. When I get home late from work, my dogs are extra happy. Now if my dog was very old and I was just delaying the inevitable by a short period of time, fine, put her down. But if my dog would gain years by a procedure, no problem in my mind selling comic books to pay the bills. Would it hurt? Sure, but I think of the love and joy that I would get for years to come. Seems much better than thinking, Wow, I've got a box full of low to mid grade FF's sitting there. Especially since they're reprinted and I can buy them all if I wanted to read them for the umpteenth time.

Well stated. We have two dogs. One is getting on up there in age, so we would probably just put her down and end her misery. The other one I wouldn't think twice of spending 10K to see that he gets some extra years and bring us the joy, happiness and love I get whenever I see him. Dogs are companions to me and very much a part of the family.

first off, everyone's different. no one is wrong for doing it or not doing it. some of you are criticizing people for doing it, but to a lot of us, our pets are a part of our family, almost as much as our kids. now, i won't bankrupt myself, but if i have to take a loan (let's say a car sized one) AND the animal will have years worth of life ahead of them, then i will do it with no regret. my dogs are my family.

I think animals have a higher value/worth than some people. They love unconditionally. They are part of the family. It's funny, when I tell someone I'm going to meet them at a certain time, if I'm late, they're probably upset. When I get home late from work, my dogs are extra happy. Now if my dog was very old and I was just delaying the inevitable by a short period of time, fine, put her down. But if my dog would gain years by a procedure, no problem in my mind selling comic books to pay the bills. Would it hurt? Sure, but I think of the love and joy that I would get for years to come. Seems much better than thinking, Wow, I've got a box full of low to mid grade FF's sitting there. Especially since they're reprinted and I can buy them all if I wanted to read them for the umpteenth time.

Well stated. We have two dogs. One is getting on up there in age, so we would probably just put her down and end her misery. The other one I wouldn't think twice of spending 10K to see that he gets some extra years and bring us the joy, happiness and love I get whenever I see him. Dogs are companions to me and very much a part of the family.

GOOD MAN

I have a dog that I absolutely Love. He is just as much a member of my family as any of the humans in it. So on that note I spent 7 grand to keep my ex wife from having my daughter so I could keep her safe. I would spend every bit as much to save my dog. Oh it would hurt me emotionally to loose the books and art. But it would hurt worse to loose him. You can buy back books you can't buy back your dog.

I'm seriously hoping there is a grammatical error in there somewhere, cause i can't believe i just read this.

Animals are not people. They will never be on the same level. That same dog that is so friendly and nice, can turn on a dime given the right stimuli (they do have wild isntincts you know) and tear your throat out or maul a child. I've seen it happen to well kept, well trained family dogs. I know there are people that will do this too, but I'm not advocating we keep them well fed and kept either.

Most of the time, the money is not spent for the dog but more for the person. Most of the time, a large amount of money needed to keep an animal alive is because the animal has undergone harsh trauma. I myself would not want to be kept alive in a state of constant suffering so i would definately not want my family to be selfish and keep me around for their own needs.

I have to agree with Ubie. Too many hungry and poor people in this world to spend that much money on a dog.

Again, no offense intended. Just my belief and value system. A little old fashioned i suppose but it's me.

Anyhow, that is the last i am going to say on this subject.

R.

I know that dogs have animal instincts. The dog that I am so attached to ate half my face about four years ago. I had four or five teeth marks I still have a scar to remind me. I had three stiches on my right ear lobe from the same attack where my ear was almost torn off. It was my fault. You are right animals are not humans nor will the ever be. They are actually better than humans

Humans grow up and become fratboys, rapist, serial killers, suicide bombers, terrorist, religous finatics, pro-life advocated, baby makers, burglers, bank robbers and many more horrible things.

The last time I checked dogs haven't raped women, started wars, strapped bombs on to blow themselves and others up, robbed banks, or found religon . Animals are better. I find it sick for people to think humans are the superior species. This is just as bad as racisim.

Sorry Kris, but how does finding religion make you a bad person?

Finding religion doesn't make you a bad person. I just have personal views of the subject of religion. I shouldn't voice my views on religion But The gentlemans comments upset me very much.

Humans grow up and become fratboys , rapist, serial killers, suicide bombers, terrorist, religous finatics, pro-life advocated, baby makers, burglers, bank robbers and many more horrible things.

The last time I checked dogs haven't raped women, started wars, strapped bombs on to blow themselves and others up, robbed banks, or found religon . Animals are better. I find it sick for people to think humans are the superior species. This is just as bad as racisim.

Sorry Kris, but how does finding religion make you a bad person?

Wow - I'm a fratboy and I haven't done any of that other stuff..., confused-smiley-013.gif even the harsher crimes, like finding religion. Which fraternity/fraternities were you blackballed from?

I was never blackballed from a Fraternity. I would never join one. Fraternities exhibit mob mentality. If you haven't heard your IQ level drops dramatically when you are in a large group of people. The reason I hate fratboys is two of my friends were gangraped by fratboys. This may be the exception and not the rule but I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise.

I think animals have a higher value/worth than some people.

That's the biggest load of *spoon* I have read in a long time.

Really? I wouldn't have to look much past the local prison to think that at least a few animals contribute more than some humans.