• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would You Sell Your Comics To Pay a $10K Vet Bill?

133 posts in this topic

I had a golden retriever with epilepsy. I must have spent 15K on medicines and doctor visits over the 7 years he had seizures. Was it a waste of money? Probably. Would I do it again? Of course, without question.

I also spent $3300 on an emergency stomach surgery on Christmas Day (got the call from the kennel at 7 AM walking off a plane at O'Hare) - he ate a tennis ball and had a life-threatening intestinal blockage. Was it a waste of money? Of course it was. I could have bought 8 purebred golden pups.

Would I do it again? Of course. He was family. screwy.gif

Maybe it's just the lawyer in me talking, but if he was in the care of a kennel and they allowed him to eat a tennis ball shouldn't they be paying that bill?

I mean you entrusted the care, health and feeding of your dog to them while you were away and this happens?

Aside from that, admirable to care that much about anyone or anything. I personally would be as pissed at the kennel as I was concerned about the dog.

Chris

I have a dog that I absolutely Love. He is just as much a member of my family as any of the humans in it. So on that note I spent 7 grand to keep my ex wife from having my daughter so I could keep her safe. I would spend every bit as much to save my dog. Oh it would hurt me emotionally to loose the books and art. But it would hurt worse to loose him. You can buy back books you can't buy back your dog.

I'm seriously hoping there is a grammatical error in there somewhere, cause i can't believe i just read this.

Animals are not people. They will never be on the same level. That same dog that is so friendly and nice, can turn on a dime given the right stimuli (they do have wild isntincts you know) and tear your throat out or maul a child. I've seen it happen to well kept, well trained family dogs. I know there are people that will do this too, but I'm not advocating we keep them well fed and kept either.

Most of the time, the money is not spent for the dog but more for the person. Most of the time, a large amount of money needed to keep an animal alive is because the animal has undergone harsh trauma. I myself would not want to be kept alive in a state of constant suffering so i would definately not want my family to be selfish and keep me around for their own needs.

I have to agree with Ubie. Too many hungry and poor people in this world to spend that much money on a dog.

Again, no offense intended. Just my belief and value system. A little old fashioned i suppose but it's me.

Anyhow, that is the last i am going to say on this subject.

R.

I know that dogs have animal instincts. The dog that I am so attached to ate half my face about four years ago. I had four or five teeth marks I still have a scar to remind me. I had three stiches on my right ear lobe from the same attack where my ear was almost torn off. It was my fault. You are right animals are not humans nor will the ever be. They are actually better than humans

Here are some things that humans do that dogs don't

Humans grow up and become fratboys, rapist, serial killers, suicide bombers, terrorist, religous finatics, pro-life advocated, baby makers, burglers, bank robbers and many more horrible things.

The last time I checked dogs haven't raped women, started wars, strapped bombs on to blow themselves and others up, robbed banks, or found religon. Animals are better. I find it sick for people to think humans are the superior species. This is just as bad as racisim.

I agree with r1970d. IMO, there is nothing that justifies spending 10k on a dog. Dogs and cats are not family, they're animals. Animals can be replaced, family members cannot.

I've lost several animals, I was sad for a while, but I got over it. Dogs and cats aren't meant to live long lives, they're here for our temporary amusement, I know that sounds harsh, but thats what it is. You know whats funny though? If someone came here asking for 10k to save a person's life - nobody would take out a loan to save a person, yet there are people that will take out a loan to save a pet. I'm sorry, but a dog isn't worth 10k. Its absurd. screwy.gif

I agree with r1970d. IMO, there is nothing that justifies spending 10k on a dog. Dogs and cats are not family, they're animals. Animals can be replaced, family members cannot.

I've lost several animals, I was sad for a while, but I got over it. Dogs and cats aren't meant to live long lives, they're here for our temporary amusement, I know that sounds harsh, but thats what it is. You know whats funny though? If someone came here asking for 10k to save a person's life - nobody would take out a loan to save a person, yet there are people that will take out a loan to save a pet. I'm sorry, but a dog isn't worth 10k. Its absurd. screwy.gif

I'm sorry, but a dog isn't worth 10k. Its absurd.

To some people yes.To some people no.

I have a dog that I absolutely Love. He is just as much a member of my family as any of the humans in it. So on that note I spent 7 grand to keep my ex wife from having my daughter so I could keep her safe. I would spend every bit as much to save my dog. Oh it would hurt me emotionally to loose the books and art. But it would hurt worse to loose him. You can buy back books you can't buy back your dog.

I'm seriously hoping there is a grammatical error in there somewhere, cause i can't believe i just read this.

Animals are not people. They will never be on the same level. That same dog that is so friendly and nice, can turn on a dime given the right stimuli (they do have wild isntincts you know) and tear your throat out or maul a child. I've seen it happen to well kept, well trained family dogs. I know there are people that will do this too, but I'm not advocating we keep them well fed and kept either.

Most of the time, the money is not spent for the dog but more for the person. Most of the time, a large amount of money needed to keep an animal alive is because the animal has undergone harsh trauma. I myself would not want to be kept alive in a state of constant suffering so i would definately not want my family to be selfish and keep me around for their own needs.

I have to agree with Ubie. Too many hungry and poor people in this world to spend that much money on a dog.

Again, no offense intended. Just my belief and value system. A little old fashioned i suppose but it's me.

R.

I know that dogs have animal instincts. The dog that I am so attached to ate half my face about four years ago. I had four or five teeth marks I still have a scar to remind me. I had three stiches on my right ear lobe from the same attack where my ear was almost torn off. It was my fault. You are right animals are not humans nor will the ever be. They are actually better than humans

Humans grow up and become fratboys, rapist, serial killers, suicide bombers, terrorist, religous finatics, pro-life advocated, baby makers, burglers, bank robbers and many more horrible things.

The last time I checked dogs haven't raped women, started wars, strapped bombs on to blow themselves and others up, robbed banks, or found religon. Animals are better. I find it sick for people to think humans are the superior species. This is just as bad as racisim.

I see dogs going at it all the time....I'm not sure all were consenting. poke2.gif

After your post, I had to provide a little bit of levity thumbsup2.gif

I had a golden retriever with epilepsy. I must have spent 15K on medicines and doctor visits over the 7 years he had seizures. Was it a waste of money? Probably. Would I do it again? Of course, without question.

I also spent $3300 on an emergency stomach surgery on Christmas Day (got the call from the kennel at 7 AM walking off a plane at O'Hare) - he ate a tennis ball and had a life-threatening intestinal blockage. Was it a waste of money? Of course it was. I could have bought 8 purebred golden pups.

I'm right there with you Donut, my dog is part of the family. When my sister's talk about their pains of parenthood, I just smile. The only thing I have to worry about my dog sleeping with is a blanket. The same can not be said for my teenage nephews.

R.

The last time I checked dogs haven't raped women, started wars, strapped bombs on to blow themselves and others up, robbed banks, or found religon . Animals are better. I find it sick for people to think humans are the superior species. This is just as bad as racisim.

Sorry Kris, but how does finding religion make you a bad person?

It's the price point of 10K that is causing the debate.

I'd drop my collection on Ebay tomorrow if anyone in my immediate family needed that kind of money.

I'd drop about 1K in books if I had a pet that needed it.

10K is quite a bit of money to me right now.

The last time I checked dogs haven't raped women, started wars, strapped bombs on to blow themselves and others up, robbed banks, or found religon. Animals are better. I find it sick for people to think humans are the superior species. This is just as bad as racisim .

I'm sure Rosa Parks would've agreed whole-heartedly yeahok.gif Seriously though, thats one of the battiest things I've ever heard. Mosquitos don't start wars either, I guess they're worth 10k too. screwy.gif

The last time I checked dogs haven't raped women, started wars, strapped bombs on to blow themselves and others up, robbed banks, or found religon. Animals are better. I find it sick for people to think humans are the superior species. This is just as bad as racisim .

I'm sure Rosa Parks would've agreed whole-heartedly yeahok.gif Seriously though, thats one of the battiest things I've ever heard. Mosquitos don't start wars either, I guess they're worth 10k too. screwy.gif

Malaria.

Malaria.

27_laughing.gif Word association is awesome!

I'd drop my collection on Ebay tomorrow if anyone in my immediate family needed that kind of money.

Would you spend it if you had it?

I think it is sad that he is using the "ruse" to sell books.

Suspicious at best.

I agree with you on this. Let's make people feel bad so they will bid higher on on mid-grade books. And the name shyloki, the shy trickster?

Would you spend it if you had it?

If I had a dog, obviously I couldn't just sit back & let it die.

Luckily, I've chosen not to have a dog at this point in my life....so I don't have to think about it.

Maybe it's just the lawyer in me talking, but if he was in the care of a kennel and they allowed him to eat a tennis ball shouldn't they be paying that bill?

I mean you entrusted the care, health and feeding of your dog to them while you were away and this happens?

Aside from that, admirable to care that much about anyone or anything. I personally would be as pissed at the kennel as I was concerned about the dog.

Chris

He had eaten the ball the day before, apparently., and his stomach bloated up overnight.