• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would You Sell Your Comics To Pay a $10K Vet Bill?

133 posts in this topic

or found religon .

Sorry Kris, but how does finding religion make you a bad person?

He didn't say religion, he said Religon. Unless I'm mistaken he was an evil dog lord in one of Dad and Son's Strange Tales. hi.gif

27_laughing.gif my mistake

The dog that I am so attached to ate half my face about four years ago. I had four or five teeth marks I still have a scar to remind me. I had three stiches on my right ear lobe from the same attack where my ear was almost torn off. It was my fault.

I have had dogs all of my life. I may have spent 4 or 5 K at the vet on all of them combined. I currently have four dogs, the oldest being 16 and the youngest being 4. I have never intentionally hurt any of my dogs, and they have never intentionally hurt anyone, but if one of them attacked myself or anyone else (other then an uninvited guest) I'd kill it.

please, medical care for a pet causes this much debate when people blow huge wads of cash on silly stuff all the time? People get married and spend $50-$100K on the frigging party. People go to fancy clubs and pound down bottle after bottle of $500-$1000 champagne.People buy $5 million dollar homes. Thousands of dollars on boob jobs and other plastic surgery. There is so much money wasted on silly stuff and we've done over 100 posts on a sick dog?

I think animals have a higher value/worth than some people. They love unconditionally. They are part of the family. It's funny, when I tell someone I'm going to meet them at a certain time, if I'm late, they're probably upset. When I get home late from work, my dogs are extra happy. Now if my dog was very old and I was just delaying the inevitable by a short period of time, fine, put her down. But if my dog would gain years by a procedure, no problem in my mind selling comic books to pay the bills. Would it hurt? Sure, but I think of the love and joy that I would get for years to come. Seems much better than thinking, Wow, I've got a box full of low to mid grade FF's sitting there. Especially since they're reprinted and I can buy them all if I wanted to read them for the umpteenth time.

Thank you for showing some sanity. A comic book is just paper. A person looses their humanity when they place a higher value on inanimate objects over life. Personally, it sickens me. I just can't articulate the level of digust I have with some of the people on this thread.

I think animals have a higher value/worth than some people. They love unconditionally. They are part of the family. It's funny, when I tell someone I'm going to meet them at a certain time, if I'm late, they're probably upset. When I get home late from work, my dogs are extra happy. Now if my dog was very old and I was just delaying the inevitable by a short period of time, fine, put her down. But if my dog would gain years by a procedure, no problem in my mind selling comic books to pay the bills. Would it hurt? Sure, but I think of the love and joy that I would get for years to come. Seems much better than thinking, Wow, I've got a box full of low to mid grade FF's sitting there. Especially since they're reprinted and I can buy them all if I wanted to read them for the umpteenth time.

Thank you for showing some sanity. A comic book is just paper. A person looses their humanity when they place a higher value on inanimate objects over life. Personally, it sickens me. I just can't articulate the level of digust I have with some of the people on this thread.

I agree that a comic book is only paper and is not as important as a loving pet, but that paper can be sold and money returned (at least for the more expensive vintage books). I think that a lot of us on these boards would gladly sell our collections to pay for a family emergency, to put our kids through school, etc. What I'm basically saying is that the final decision doesn't come down to choosing between your beloved pet and an ASM #1, but what that ASM #1 book will ultimately pay for in the end. I'd personally rather keep the book for a rainy day when it's really needed (which I'm sure will come one day).

I have two dogs of my own (Edgar the Jack Russell and Poe the Black Lab) they are the only things that keep me sane from a hard day at work. When I get home and see unconditional love it makes me smile. I also love my Paratrooper collection, but if it came down to saving either dog at the cost of thousands of $, I'd sell my collection in a heartbeat. It's all a matter of perspective, the books will be around for a lot longer than Man's Best Friend. If you choose books over life, you're one retarded *spoon* with their priorities out of whack. screwy.gif

I have two dogs of my own (Edgar the Jack Russell and Poe the Black Lab) they are the only things that keep me sane from a hard day at work. When I get home and see unconditional love it makes me smile. I also love my Paratrooper collection, but if it came down to saving either dog at the cost of thousands of $, I'd sell my collection in a heartbeat. It's all a matter of perspective, the books will be around for a lot longer than Man's Best Friend. If you choose books over life, you're one retarded *spoon* with their priorities out of whack. screwy.gif

Where's Allan 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Here are some things that humans do that dogs don't

Humans grow up and become fratboys , rapist, serial killers, suicide bombers, terrorist, religous finatics, pro-life advocated, baby makers, burglers, bank robbers and many more horrible things.

The last time I checked dogs haven't raped women, started wars, strapped bombs on to blow themselves and others up, robbed banks, or found religon . Animals are better. I find it sick for people to think humans are the superior species. This is just as bad as racisim.

Sorry Kris, but how does finding religion make you a bad person?

Wow - I'm a fratboy and I haven't done any of that other stuff..., confused-smiley-013.gif even the harsher crimes, like finding religion. Which fraternity/fraternities were you blackballed from?

$10k is pretty steep, and I would probably put the dog to sleep if it was in pain for that much.

That being said, my wife and I have spent $4000 on saving our cats leg 5 years ago when it got it stuck in some kind of trap and pulled it out, shredding the knee joint and ligaments. We nicknamed him "Amex" after that.

A month and a half ago, our 5 year old boxer had surgery to remove her spleen because it had a tumor that had burst that we didn't know about before hand. The cost was $5000. We nicknamed her "Visa".

When the cat episode happened, my wife and I agreed that 5-6k was our max per pet on surgery. This figure depends largely on what the animals quality of life will be afterword, as well as the age of the pet. My male boxer that we put to sleep 3 months ago COULD have had surgery on his back to keep him walking, but at the age of 10, his life would be miserable for the remainder.

Keep in mind, we have no kids, and don't plan on it. Our pets are our kids, so we look at them differently than a lot of people. My wifes' boxer comes to work with her everyday, and has become a fixture in the workplace, so much so that when we had to put her down last night due to the cancer attacking and shutting down her liver, the office is a complete mess today. That's the kind of impact a good pet can have on people, and that's why we do what we can when we have to.

For me, I wouldn't sell my comic collection to pay for a vet bill unless I had no other means, and the dog could be completely saved and live another 5+ years happily afterword. We are lucky enough to be able to put the previous bills on credit and pay them off over time. I know many people don't have that luxury, and make their decisions accordingly. I don't fault them, and it doesn't mean they love their pets any less; hard times make for hard decisions, and everyone has a different "number" on surgery and treatment.

Kind of a long response, but I think to come to an answer, there's a lot to take into consideration.

I had a golden retriever with epilepsy. I must have spent 15K on medicines and doctor visits over the 7 years he had seizures. Was it a waste of money? Probably. Would I do it again? Of course, without question.

I also spent $3300 on an emergency stomach surgery on Christmas Day (got the call from the kennel at 7 AM walking off a plane at O'Hare) - he ate a tennis ball and had a life-threatening intestinal blockage. Was it a waste of money? Of course it was. I could have bought 8 purebred golden pups.

Would I do it again? Of course. He was family. screwy.gif

thumbsup2.gif Nuff said.

Rolling Dog Ranch

yay.gifChris

Sorry to offend, but you know there is a problem in this world when people put their own lives into hardship for an animal. I've had pets (I was brought to tears when my dog left), but this is unreasonable to me.

I have to agree.

If a pet is really badly ill they should be put to sleep.

One of my neighbors had this real old cat.

It had leukemia and a couple of other really bad things.

They should have put it down but spent $1500 to keep their 13+ year old cat alive for 6 months and it spent the whole time throwing up and messing all over itself needing pain killers to keep from crying out in pain.

frown.gif

They said they loved their cat too much to kill it.

I think they only cared about themselves not willing to let go of their "baby" and do the right thing.

sign-rantpost.gif

Here is my opinion on this topic.

I own two cats. I have become very attached to them. They are like family to me. But I would never ever spend 10K on them, maybe a couple of hundred but thats about it.

Sorry to offend, but you know there is a problem in this world when people put their own lives into hardship for an animal. I've had pets (I was brought to tears when my dog left), but this is unreasonable to me.

I have to agree.

They should have put it down but spent $1500 to keep their 13+ year old cat alive for 6 months and it spent the whole time throwing up and messing all over itself needing pain killers to keep from crying out in pain.

frown.gif

I think they only cared about themselves not willing to let go of their "baby" and do the right thing.

sign-rantpost.gif

I agree if the medical care received will only prolong suffering and not serve as a cure to what the ailment is. Recovery and ability to live comfortably should weigh in on what is a terrible decision to have to make.

yay.gifChris

I own two cats. I have become very attached to them. They are like family to me. But I would never ever spend 10K on them, maybe a couple of hundred but thats about it.

Yeah, but does that even get you in the front door in NY?

I have to agree.

frown.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

I agree if the medical care received will only prolong suffering and not serve as a cure to what the ailment is. Recovery and ability to live comfortably should weigh in on what is a terrible decision to have to make.

yay.gifChris

Another next door neighbor had a younger two year old dog hit badly by a car, almost tearing it's leg off. $2000 and 6 months recovery and she's as good as new. Except she's a little jumpy. thumbsup2.gif

I had to spend $400+ on my cat for removing some teeth that were infected. frustrated.gif

Yeah, but does that even get you in the front door in NY?

I have no idea

Dogs and cats aren't meant to live long lives, they're here for our temporary amusement, I know that sounds harsh, but thats what it is. You know whats funny though?

Don't tell my wife that!

If someone came here asking for 10k to save a person's life - nobody would take out a loan to save a person, yet there are people that will take out a loan to save a pet. I'm sorry, but a dog isn't worth 10k. Its absurd. screwy.gif

I will clarify my earlier entry -- I did not and would not go into debt for the cat's sake. (I didn't even have to sell any early Avengers!) In our case, it was money we had - we spent less on our wedding (and on comics frown.gif), and put off our dreams of home ownership a bit, I guess. My biggest source of frustration is that we didn't find a competent vet in the first place - we could have saved most of it.

Also, the cat was 4 years old at the time, and otherwise healthy.