• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT,S IN YOUR CELLER AKA BLACK HOLE COLLECTIONS

12 posts in this topic

i alway.s wondered about comic art that may have or not seen the light of day in years. what we have of late to call them the black hole collection.s

as a kid i was a great conan fan and loved barry smith.s run on conan. when marvel published red nails by barry. i thought that was the greatest work the man had done. i alway.s wished i could have seen what the original.s looked like.

i know that back in the day someone had bought the whole book minus one page .it was rumored that robert gould had one of the page.s a gift from barry, anyway my question to the old school gang here. or maybie a newbie can shed some light on this matter. has anyone ever seen the originals and are they as breath taking as they look in the printed version.

if no one can awswer this. that,s cool but i know everybody out there that collect,s comic or strip art has a grail in there mind that they never seen and just wanted to know if it is still out there somewhere in the abyss of a black hole collection.

any crypt keeper.s out there. 27_laughing.gif.

larry gossip.gif

i alway.s wondered about comic art that may have or not seen the light of day in years. what we have of late to call them the black hole collection.s

as a kid i was a great conan fan and loved barry smith.s run on conan. when marvel published red nails by barry. i thought that was the greatest work the man had done. i alway.s wished i could have seen what the original.s looked like.

i know that back in the day someone had bought the whole book minus one page .it was rumored that robert gould had one of the page.s a gift from barry, anyway my question to the old school gang here. or maybie a newbie can shed some light on this matter. has anyone ever seen the originals and are they as breath taking as they look in the printed version.

if no one can awswer this. that,s cool but i know everybody out there that collect,s comic or strip art has a grail in there mind that they never seen and just wanted to know if it is still out there somewhere in the abyss of a black hole collection.

larry gossip.gif

I've never seen the originals to RED NAILS. But my understanding is that one long-time west coast collector has most (if not all) of the art.

For me, a grailish piece would be the Neal Adams cover to SUPERMAN #233. I can't afford it, but was lucky enough to get a look at it. Beautiful.

Yeah, there's a crypt keeper named Krazy Kat. Maybe you know him? He claims to have quite the collection, but won't say what or show the images.

So Larry, care to show some art you own? Got a CAF gallery?

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

larry gossip.gif

Larry, are you asking about missing original art that's never seen the light of day -- or about the pieces we are personally holding that we don't intend to ever, ever sell?

Both are great questions.

hal. your correct. the question was two sided. glad you saw that. but yes. if i was looking for a page by a certain artist that has not been seen on the market in years. it could be a fact someone has it in there collection and don,t want to sell it.

which is cool to me. but it would be nice to know that at least the page does grace somebody.s wall.

hail.gif

larry ;]

rhino. i don,t think that iam on krazy kat,s level. i don,t think i can even stand in the same room as that guy. my small but humble collection. is ok, for me anyway.

as for a caf gallery. they may happen next year. while it true iam an old school collector. that got out of the game sold it all and just got back into the hobby about 7 years ago computers are still a new thing to me. if it not point and click then i don,t know how to do it. i did just buy a scanner a small one so iam hoping to learn how to work the damm thing. soon but most likely later.

i hope to meet some of the southern cal collectors at a meet and greet in feb.and will bring my portfolio to share.

i just asked the black hole question becase one i really do want to know what became of the red nails art. but i know every collector on this board has an page or artist he looking for and wonder what may have happen to the art.

not too hard of question and not another kk sighting iam starting to belive this guy has more than nine lives 27_laughing.gif. just something to give the board a lil more more traffic and use. and a lil less flame wars. 893applaud-thumb.gif

larry ;]

I've never seen the originals to RED NAILS. But my understanding is that one long-time west coast collector has most (if not all) of the art.

For me, a grailish piece would be the Neal Adams cover to SUPERMAN #233. I can't afford it, but was lucky enough to get a look at it. Beautiful.

I believe the Red Nails story is missing one page. Not sure how it came to be missing the one page but I'm sure the owner has done his best to remedy this.

I made this mistake of thinking the Superman 233 cover was available once and the owner was v polite in humouring me. blush.gif

Joseph

It's a great goal to have people say what they have that they don't put in a CAF gallery or post in threads, but the problem is many collectors don't want everyone to know what they have, for a number of reasons:

1. Paranoia over theft

2. Concern that showing their art may devalue it (aka, the KK syndrome)

3. Keeping pieces "under their hat" in the event that they want to make trades and want to pull out something "fresh"

4. They don't want people bugging them to sell or trade the pieces.

I'd love to know what art does or does not exist. For example I've been told by several sources that no pre-hero marvel covers exist. I've certainly never seen one, but does that really mean they don't exist? Are they in some box somewhere in a warehouse a la Raiders of the Lost Ark? Are they on some collector's wall? Or were they in fact destroyed as the story goes? confused-smiley-013.gif

We may never know... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Larry, are you asking about missing original art that's never seen the light of day -- or about the pieces we are personally holding that we don't intend to ever, ever sell?

Both are great questions.

I believe the Red Nails story is missing one page. Not sure how it came to be missing the one page but I'm sure the owner has done his best to remedy this.

I made this mistake of thinking the Superman 233 cover was available once and the owner was v polite in humouring me. blush.gif

Joseph

joe. you win a no prize 27_laughing.gif. yes the story is true that the person who has the red nail story has all but one page. the one missing page is or was in the hands of an artist named robert gould it was giving to him by barry as a gift before he had got rid of the story.

does robert still have the page maybe, maybe not. but iam sure the person that has the story has tried to get it. so i guess for now he.s content to live with what he has. hail.gif

larry ;]