• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who owns the bulk of the Church books now?

52 posts in this topic

What did McLaughlin collect? Which MHs did he have? I am not familiar with that collector. Can someone please brief me on this person... I am wondering when he sold his MHs...

John McLaughlin (no, not the McLaughlin Group guy). The September Heritage auction was primarily devoted to selling his stuff. I`m sure there`s a write up somewhere as to who he is.

Most of his MHs were oddball titles, 10th-tier titles, but there were lots and lots and lots of them. For collectors who were into those particular genres of comics, as well as of pulps, it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Who is the dentist?

-Chris

Whenever someone refers to him as "The Dentist," I can't help but think of...

Marathon_Man2.jpg

Actually, based on my most recent (and distant past) dealings with Mr. Anderson ('thebigloo' on ebay), this photgraph is very representative of how I usually felt after a transaction with him.

STEVE

My experiences with him are similar, but it usually felt like something going in the backside with tremendous force, as opposed to something coming out like a tooth....

I have owned 2 John McLaughlin books.Both Biggies. Motion Picture Funnies Weekly # 1 and The Reign of the Superman Fanzine.He was the diffenition of the word eccentricity. Ive seen him lose his temper with simply a question a customer asks[He would want to call security at a convention on a number of occassions]

His own employee told me you had to be very careful the way you asked questions around him cause you would never know whats gonna happen.Reminds me of a character on Seinfeld. He was the owner of the[ Book sail] Spelt SAIL[as in boats]which was his logo.It was in Southern California. A rather large store filled only with vintage Books of all kinds.He did not set up in the golden age pavillion in San diego. Oddly he had his both in the middle of all the newer stuff on the other side of the hall.Imagin my disbelief when I saw a Motion Picture Funnies Weekly # 1 in the modern Japanese video and toy area of the Hall. I bought it sight on .Didnt Negotiate.Wanted a reference though.I got it from Stephen Fishler. Thanks Steve. I never forgot that one buddy.

That was always my impression too. Perhaps Beerbohm would know? He did say in another thread that he was involved in the original purchase from tom.

Numerous times..

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

No kidding. He says that almost as much as he says he was "co-founder of Comics & Comix"

Interestingly, in the Gerber section on pedigrees he's not listed as one of the collection's original discoverers.

That was always my impression too. Perhaps Beerbohm would know? He did say in another thread that he was involved in the original purchase from tom.

Numerous times..

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

No kidding. He says that almost as much as he says he was "co-founder of Comics & Comix"

Interestingly, in the Gerber section on pedigrees he's not listed as one of the collection's original discoverers.

The only quote more frequent than the above two is the "then record price for Marvel #1" 893blahblah.gif

Who is the dentist?

-Chris

Whenever someone refers to him as "The Dentist," I can't help but think of...

Marathon_Man2.jpg

Actually, based on my most recent (and distant past) dealings with Mr. Anderson ('thebigloo' on ebay), this photgraph is very representative of how I usually felt after a transaction with him.

STEVE

My experiences with him are similar, but it usually felt like something going in the backside with tremendous force, as opposed to something coming out like a tooth....

I just happened to be watching Man on Fire, the scene where Creasy has the bad guy spread out on the backside of the car...with an explosive up his backside...when I saw your post.

You owe me a new keyboard, Bill !!! 27_laughing.gif