• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPC or Spider-man head?

37 posts in this topic

If you were presented 2 CGC 9.8 comics that you want, each being exactly the same except that one had the upc on it and the other had the spidey head(direct edition), which would you choose? Personally I perfer getting the sidey head. Now suppose you found a comic you've been searching for (a 9.4 wolverine 10 in my case) and it only had the upc on it, would you get it? And if it is at least 60% cheaper than any other place selling the same book in that grade would you still get it?

Generally speaking, the UPC books have a greater chance of being damaged.

The Spidey-Head books went to comic shops... people have bags & boards there.

The UPC books went to grocery stores... people have grubby fingers there.

If I have the choice between a Spidey-Head or a UPC, I'll take the UPC every time.

(... and if you happen to be talking about Spider-man #1 Gold,

then the UPC version is the only one with ANY value.)

thumbsup2.gif

It's true that the UPC copies are more susceptible to damage and likely rarer in high-grade, however I don't really think it makes much of a difference.

I like the look of the direct editions with Spidey's head and prefer them for my collection, but that is only when faced with otherwise identical books at identical prices, i.e., I have UPC books too.

Well, I never thought about which one I like the most before. I'm a bit of a completist, so I try to get one of each version whenever and wherever possible. Hurts the bank account, but the 2 comics are truly different, so...buy them both!

Andy

I've always preferred the UPC copies because the newsstand buying experience, (starting in the 70's for me) was always more fun. Spinner rack comic buying with the option of a candy bar and a coke was one of the fondest experiences of my youth.. as well as reading them of course.

Another point... I like the original, traditional pricing area. I never liked the "Diamond price design" present on most (*all?) the "spidey head" Direct editions.

*Didn't some Direct editions have a diagonal line through the UPC?

Newsstand editions create an illusion for me that the book was bought by a fan (along with his snack of choice) and was read shortly thereafter. The Direct "Comic Shop" versions feel more "collector" then "fan" to me... meaning more high grade copies exist. The UPC was the original and a copy bought from the stands and lovingly kept in high grade just appeals to me more.

For example, every Daredevil 168 9.8 I've seen (save one) was a direct edition copy. I have a Direct Edition and would likely pay $100 more for a Newsstand version with that big 50¢... and no ugly diamond.

As to the question which would you choose, despite the above, In some cases I'm unable to discard the Direct Edition once I've obtained a Newsstand. I have both versions in 9.8 of Hulk 340, PMIF 66 and few others.