• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No Hannukah covers? Post the unknowns and ONE OF A KINDS here!

7 posts in this topic

After soliciting holiday covers and wondering out loud if there was any such thing as a golden age Hannukah cover, none have turned up that I saw.

Made me wonder if there simply aren't any? No Christmas covers that even so much as gave a nod by including a menorah?

Obviously the Golden Age was in pre-Kwanzaa days, so you can't expect that, but not so much as a dreydle on a golden age book?

And while we're at it, how about identifying other covers that should exist but don't? And ones that are unique in subject matter

In the 1940s the elevation of what had been a relatively minor Jewish holday to a Jewish alternative to Christmas was fairly recent (I've read that Hannukah greeting cards had only just come into existence).

Combine that with a serious reluctance by Jewish creators of all forms mass entertainment to overtly acknowledge Jewish themes at the time, and the likelyhood of a Hannukah themed comic cover from the Golden Age is next to nil - barring some unknown specialty giveaway.

Anti-semitism was alive and well in the United States in the 1940s (even after the horrors of the Holocaust became known), and it would have been thought that there was little advantage to celebrating a holiday on a comic cover that had meaning to only about 3% of the population, and was at the time obscure at best to the gentile majority.

Best I can do for my fellow MOT.

1050613-Mendy-and-the-Golem.jpg

Never saw that one before. But it reminded me that somewhere I have a comic that called itself hosher from the 60s, with parodies of superman, tarzan and othes. If I can suss out where it is I'll dig it out and post it