• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about the new Ultimate Spider-man CGC books...

59 posts in this topic

It's a lot of money - but - I can tell you I've purchased tons of stuff from these people and they are very reputable. I bought USM 32 - 39 cgc 9.8 from them - and never had any problem. The name of the store is Adventure Comics and currently they may be on vacation in Florida so if you e-mail them you may or may not get a quick reply. Hope this helps. flamed.gif

I have noticed that there is a complete run of Ultimate Spider-man books, #1-43 in CGC 9.8 WHITE PAGES for $3800.00. Are these books investement quality books? Someone with information please let me know! Thanks, GW cool.gif

Just for your info, if bought individually:

1 White 700 - 800

2 100-125

3 250

4 225

5 350-400

6 160 -175

7 70 75

8 75

9 75

10 110

The first 10 books alone will cost you $ 2300 + $100 (shipping) = $2400.

The seller is one of the best. I bought a number of books from him to complete my collection of Ultimate Spiderman CGC 9.8s (1 thru 40)

That's what they may cost you now, but the poster is asking if they will be a good 'investment' at $3800.

IMHO it is unlikely that these books will hold that value long term, much less prove to be an investment.

That's what they may cost you now, but the poster is asking if they will be a good 'investment' at $3800.

IMHO it is unlikely that these books will hold that value long term, much less prove to be an investment.

Nobody knows unless you have a crystal ball. What I know though, the price will increase a month before the Spiderman movies, II and subsequently III (great short term investment). I made $$$$ before the first movie from the #1s I bought when they were cheap, and used the earned money to complete my set from 1 thru 40 all CGC 9.8 including #1s (all three variants and all CGC 9.8s). I believe it is worth the risk, because I consider Ultimate Spiderman as the mother of all Ultimate books. It has been 20 years since the start of the modern age books from 1980 - present, and may be ???? the beginning of a new Age -and Ultimate Spiderman would be considered the start of the Ultimate Age. (just a hunch).

$3800 = one Amazing Spiderman 14 CGC 9.2, I'd rather have the complete set of Ultimate Spiderman.

$3800 = one Amazing Spiderman 14 CGC 9.2, I'd rather have the complete set of Ultimate Spiderman.

Hmmm, I don't think to many long term comic collectors would agree with this statement. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think maybe you are letting your personal 'collecting' preferences get in the way of an investment decision.

'Investing' in common modern books certified by an immature grading company vs. a relatively scare vintage book with a proven long term track record in the collectable market...tough call.

$3800 = one Amazing Spiderman 14 CGC 9.2, I'd rather have the complete set of Ultimate Spiderman

27_laughing.gif I'd take the ASM 14 9.2 over the entire Modern Age Run from 1980 to now.Ultimate Spider-man will end up in the 25 cent boxes like the rest of them,What are you gonna do once Bendis leaves Ultimate Spiderman? Cry? you could do that.And to get back to the original question..NO! Ultimate Spider-man 1-43 in whatever grade is not a good investment 893naughty-thumb.gif

Hmmm, I wonder if Kevin and Blowout have the Amazing Spider-man 14 CGC 9.2.

But I bet they have the Ultimate Spiderman. Too many investors on the Amazing Spiderman 14 on CGC 9.0 and up are probably crying now. Because the prices of this issue two years ago before the first Movie of Spiderman were outrageously high. They have lost probably between 25%-35% of its value compared today. But the Ultimate Spiderman is just going up. I bought the white variant for $400 CGC 9.8 and the Red $250. Today you can't find these great prices. When Stan Lee stopped writing Amazing Spiderman in issue 110, other writers stepped in and did some great issues, to name a few, issues 121,122, and 129. Remember this is a new Marvel Universe-the Ultimate Universe. Majority of people love the Ultimate runs. Ultimate X-Men, Ultimates (always on the top 10 of the Previews), wait when the Ultimate Fantastic Four starts and it would be a blast.

dude - you are talking about timing when you say that buyers of Spidey 14 9.2 have seen their investments go down while your USM's have gone up. Only in the past year as prices stabilized after the movie hype.

But what you are not wanting to see is the 40 year proven history of increasing value of ASM#14 versus the puny 40-month runup of USMs. the point is, as hard as it is for you to see since USM is YOUR Spidey book, USM will in all probability be a memory as a title and as a comics event (the whole Ultimate line for that matter) long before the first Green Goblin issue from 40 years earlier loses it value as a collectible.

If you are speaking of daytrading these comics, then you may be right. Catch a short term swing an dflip while USMs are still going up. But you seem to be arguing for the long run....

And as for stating that ASM didnt die when Stan Lee stopped writing....c'mon. There only WAS one Spidey title, and one Spidey storyline. Today there are plenty going on simultaneously. USM is only one, Its working well right now for fans, and even tho the print runs were historically "technically" short, there are plenty of copies to go around. Not everyone sees the value in the label either. Todays emphasis on 9.6s and 9.8s will certainly change as the game goes along.

$3800 will buty you a very nice high grade pre-1965 comic that will KEEP that value and increase in all scenarios except a total out-and-out crash!!

dude - you are talking about timing when you say that buyers of Spidey 14 9.2 have seen their investments go down while your USM's have gone up. Only in the past year as prices stabilized after the movie hype.

But what you are not wanting to see is the 40 year proven history of increasing value of ASM#14 versus the puny 40-month runup of USMs. the point is, as hard as it is for you to see since USM is YOUR Spidey book, USM will in all probability be a memory as a title and as a comics event (the whole Ultimate line for that matter) long before the first Green Goblin issue from 40 years earlier loses it value as a collectible.

If you are speaking of daytrading these comics, then you may be right. Catch a short term swing an dflip while USMs are still going up. But you seem to be arguing for the long run....

And as for stating that ASM didnt die when Stan Lee stopped writing....c'mon. There only WAS one Spidey title, and one Spidey storyline. Today there are plenty going on simultaneously. USM is only one, Its working well right now for fans, and even tho the print runs were historically "technically" short, there are plenty of copies to go around. Not everyone sees the value in the label either. Todays emphasis on 9.6s and 9.8s will certainly change as the game goes along.

$3800 will buty you a very nice high grade pre-1965 comic that will KEEP that value and increase in all scenarios except a total out-and-out crash!!

To prove to you right now:

I'm willing to pay the following books from any seller out there

that are willing to let go these books for the price below (the prices below are higher from the price I bought for my collection a year or two): I bet they will have second thoughts: Moreover, I can buy multiple copies of each.

Ultimate Spiderman 1 CGC 9.8

White for $500

Red $350

Variant $350

Ultimate Spiderman 3 CGC 9.8

$225

Ultimate Spiderman 5 CGC 9.8

$300

If I understand you correctly, you are stating your willingness to buy these comics at prices somewhat more than they sold for 1 to 2 years ago, and which have gone up considerably since then? Would that be the same as paying today's market prices? Or less?

Or are you offerring TOP prices for any and all copies available in your confidence that they are still "cheap"?

If I understand you correctly, you are stating your willingness to buy these comics at prices somewhat more than they sold for 1 to 2 years ago, and which have gone up considerably since then? Would that be the same as paying today's market prices? Or less?

Or are you offerring TOP prices for any and all copies available in your confidence that they are still "cheap"?

The price I quoted are fair market prices on these particular issues. I have confidence that these issues will still go up. For example, I bought the Ultimate Spiderman issue 3 for only $76, the price of recent sale was about $225. The reason behind the price increased was that, inspite of more than 50,000 copies out there of this particular issue there are only 22 copies graded 9.8s. It has been more than 2 years since this issue was printed, if more copies out there are at 9.8, it should have been out by now.

Ultimate Spiderman 1 CGC 9.8 White for $500

Red $350

Variant $350

Ultimate Spiderman 3 CGC 9.8 $225

Ultimate Spiderman 5 CGC 9.8 $300

These would be my buying prices too...because right now I can flip these on eBay fora couple hundred dollars more in these grades wink.gif

Ultimate Spiderman 1 CGC 9.8 White for $500

Red $350

Variant $350

Ultimate Spiderman 3 CGC 9.8 $225

Ultimate Spiderman 5 CGC 9.8 $300

These would be my buying prices too...because right now I can flip these on eBay fora couple hundred dollars more in these grades wink.gif

You are absolutely right Darth.

I bought a couple of 9.8s from you to complete my Ultimate Spiderman set.

TO ALL BUYERS: If you are looking for a TRUSTED SELLER and WHO CONSISTENTLY DELIVERS, don't look no more. DARTH is the man!!!!!!

You are absolutely right Darth.

I bought a couple of 9.8s from you to complete my Ultimate Spiderman set.

SO you both are not looking long term on these books?

A flip for a profit sounds good! I thought you were planning on holding for 10 - 20 years....

Go for it! (As id you need MY blessing!!)