• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone going to catch the League of Ex. Gentlemen tonight?

7 posts in this topic

I saw it. I LOVED the comic... the movie was a pale shade of the comic. Hence, I only LIKED the movie.

This film had it's heart in the right place, the characters are interesting, the look is kind of cool, it's just kind of dull in a lot of places.

Liked Nemo, Mina, Dorian Grey, Allan Quartermain, even Skinner (the new Invisible Man), even Sawyer was Ok....

Mixed feelings: Jeckyl/Hyde at times both were fantastic, other times, severely disappointing, even annoying.

Disliked: Fantom is a terrible villain, and the reason for getting the League together in the first place seems forced. That Allan isn't an opium addict at the beginning. That Mina is a vampire (without most of the weaknesses). That Sawyer's age was way off.

It certainly brought up a lot of discussion when we went out for a beer afterwards. Everyone said they liked it, one guy even loved it, saying it was the best film he'd seen since X2.

Overall... like From Hell, I think this movie will make a great DVD. Plenty of room for documentaries, fact tracks, commentary tidbits. I think it will do quite well on DVD and has the potential to be a sleeper hit in that format.

Harry Knowles called this movie "drippings" in his review. It leaves you hungry for more than what you actually get out of it. But so far, this hasn't been a bad year for comic book adaptations. Overall, I'd say the comic movies this year rank as follows:

1) X2: X-Men United 9/10

2) Hulk 7.5/10 (only for the joy of seeing the Hulk in action against the military)

3) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 7/10

4) Daredevil 6/10

5) Bulletproof Monk 5/10

Much better than Matrix Reloaded (3/10)

Kev.