• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Rant: USPS Media Mail-A License to Steal

34 posts in this topic

Bill, I've made my mistakes and tried to learn from them.

My view when shipping comics were that they were "used books" when the ad was no longer active.( Even at that, I have sent some media that I should not have. Heck, with what little I have sent the few pennies I saved was kinda stupid on my part.) I believed that until recently when I tried to find an exception for it in the manuals and could not, so I no longer use media mail.

It's either BPM, Parcel or Priority for me now.

Don't really know what else to say.

I didn't address that to you,even though your post was the one I responded to.No need to expose your sordid past misdeeds poke2.gif

You should use the USPS Flat Rate Box. $8.10, and it gets there without getting eaten by wolves. thumbsup2.gif

this would've been the way to go- can you get 100 comics in one of those boxes?

If you have them bagged and with boards, no. If you are sending them out as is, I've gotten close to 100 in a box.

One last thing I'd like to throw in here, if anyone does start using bound printed matter be sure and write underneath your return address "Return Service Requested" or they will toss the package in the garbage if it is undeliverable. With media mail, it automatically come back to you.

One last thing I'd like to throw in here, if anyone does start using bound printed matter be sure and write underneath your return address "Return Service Requested" or they will toss the package in the garbage if it is undeliverable. With media mail, it automatically come back to you.

This is conventional wisdom but is untrue. It may come back to you if you are lucky. Officially, there is no return service on Media Mail and BPM, even if you request it, and Media mail packages that are undeliverable may be destroyed by the post office at their discretion. Look it up in the postal regulations.

I'm wondering what the PO will say when they find out you were illegally shipping material containing advertising at the reduced rate of media mail. Theft of services,anyone?

Hope you don't wind up like the guy who called the cops when someone trampled one of his pot plants.

27_laughing.gif

yes, let's review the "services" i received for my $12 once i handed over the box: someone took a box cutter, cut a 4 x 8 piece that encompassed the return and mailing address in the top, removed the contents and placed the cut out piece where it could be returned to me along w/ the hysterical note of "mechanical damage." HO HO HO

yes, let's review the "services" i received for my $12 once i handed over the box: someone took a box cutter, cut a 4 x 8 piece that encompassed the return and mailing address in the top, removed the contents and placed the cut out piece where it could be returned to me along w/ the hysterical note of "mechanical damage." HO HO HO

I guess that was the "subject to inspection" caveat, with the option exercised.

I don't think so ckb, but I'll look it up.

Do me the same courtesy and point me to the regulation that says what you are saying. poke2.gif

Thanks!

Close reading of the regulations leads me to believe I was wrong. Relevant section is here:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/507.htm

at section 1.5.4, Package Services.

The exceptional address format under 602.3.0 may not be used on mail with any ancillary service endorsement or mail with any extra service. Forwarding service is not provided for such mail. Undeliverable Parcel Post, Media Mail, and Library Mail with this address format are returned with the reason for nondelivery attached only if the address is incorrect or incomplete or the mail is undeliverable for another reason as shown in Exhibit 1.4.1 USPS Endorsements for Mail Undeliverable as Addressed. Undeliverable Bound Printed Matter with this address format is disposed of by the USPS.

I didn't know what was meant by "exceptional address format" when I first read this. It means that it is addressed to "Customer" or "Resident" or something like that.

So, if you address the thing properly and write nothing on the package, you are subject to the "No endorsement rule" in the table:

In all cases:

Same treatment as "Forwarding Service Requested."

Exception:

Bound Printed Matter with Delivery Confirmation, with Signature Confirmation, or with no other extra service is disposed of by USPS.

And, if you write "return service requested" you get this rule:

In all cases:

Piece returned with new address or reason for nondelivery attached (in either case, only return postage charged at appropriate Package Services single-piece rate).

In summary, you need to be worried about BPM and write "return service requested", or it may get shredded. Looks like Media Mail is OK in this regard, although it is not suitable for comics, unfortunately. Both services will charge you postage for the return trip.

Screuew all that,

Human beings are human beings, thieves are thieves, and everyone makes

mistakes. Shipped off three slabs today, PROPERLY packaged, in a

$8.10 flat rate box with plenty of bubblewrap/peanuts/cardboard, with Paypal

pre printed label, taped up neatly, signature confirm, tracking, insured

up to the max, etc, etc, etc, and when I dropped

it off to the LIBERTY TEXAS 77575 post office, and having "John" ask me

the usual caveat "fragile harmful distasteful" disclaimer, clerk "John"

winged it over the counter behind him into the dumper. I looked at this

public servant, and told him quite bluntly to take care of the $800 worth

of my merchandise. I also told him that any of the 20 people that work

for me and provide a similar retail "service", that they wouldn't be employed

with me for very long with this type of performance.

It's the publicly percieved view that government employees really don't

give a schnitt, that apathy is a way of life when one is employed by a

government service.. whether true or not.

Unfortunately it is the minority that ruins the reputation of the majority,

whether processing the publics mail and parcels, or selling comic books.

Hey, that would *spoon* me off too. Wouldn't happen at my Post Office and I can't make an excuse for it, no matter how busy we are.

This is what you do.

Dial 1-800-ask-usps, tell them of your complaint (with or without the name of the clerk) and hold on until you get a confirmation number. They will contact the Postmaster and you will actually get a response. Maybe the guy will think twice before he tosses another package like that!

Talked to the postmaster today, when he came into MY store to buy

some wiper blades this morning. My assistant manager changed

them for him out in the drizzle...... I hope he took the que... 893applaud-thumb.gif