• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do about this buscema surfer piece?

15 posts in this topic

Soliciting opinions on how to make this piece more displayable without altering what also makes it special.

It's an unfinished splash page from a book made entirely of splash pages -- Silver surfer judgment day. This page was cut from the continuity at some point and it's a shame because it would've been a great moment. Mephisto and Galactus square over who should rule the surfer and this page shows they had intended to have the surfer come between them, and do what I am not sure.

Buscema pencilled the piece and started to ink it but then stopped. As such it shows nicely how the artist, one of Marvel's best artists doing one of Marvel's best characters, moved from pencils to inks.

I would like to be able to display it so the surfer, at least is not lost when you stand more than a foot away from it. But I do not want to have the pencils inked over. Is it possible to get the inks finished on a separate sheet of acetate, so it can be displayed complete but the original pencils are still there?

SilverSurferJudgmentDaySplashunused.jpg

Scan it and make a blue line copy to have someone ink. Display that piece and keep this one tucked away for safe keeping. Alternatively if you scan it and then have someone lightbox ink the pencilled pieces onto acetate you'd have what you describe and keep the original safe and still display Buscema's art. I'd probably go with my second recommendation.

Scan it and make a blue line copy to have someone ink. Display that piece and keep this one tucked away for safe keeping. Alternatively if you scan it and then have someone lightbox ink the pencilled pieces onto acetate you'd have what you describe and keep the original safe and still display Buscema's art. I'd probably go with my second recommendation.

Thanks. Any recommendations on the inker? Adkins I know did a lot of inks for buscema on surfe.r And somebody named mielcarek is credited on this issue with "art assist" I assume the best way to find either would be a web search,

I don't know if Sal still does any work. I wasn't always fond of his art, but he did an unbelievable job inking Silver Surfer 4.

Sal still inks I believe. I think he mainly works with Ron Frenz these days, most recently on Spider-Girl.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeh, Sal does still ink, he's been working on Spidergirl series for sometime now.. if you need to contact him about possibly inking it, contact his rep,.. Al Czarnecki Hyeeena@optonline.net, or email me directly for his phone number

The other person I would recommend is Joe Sinnott, who does beautiful work.. you can contact his rep (his son, Mark) through www.joesinnott.com or belmark44@yahoo.com

Tell'em that Scott Kress sent you...

Cheers,

Scott Kress

www.catskillcomics

Yeh, Sal does still ink, he's been working on Spidergirl series for sometime now.. if you need to contact him about possibly inking it, contact his rep,.. Al Czarnecki Hyeeena@optonline.net, or email me directly for his phone number

The other person I would recommend is Joe Sinnott, who does beautiful work.. you can contact his rep (his son, Mark) through www.joesinnott.com or belmark44@yahoo.com

Cheers,

Scott Kress

www.catskillcomics

Thanks. Didn't know Joe Sinnot was still working. heard he broke his hand or something

Cheers,

Scott Kress

www.catskillcomics

Thanks. Didn't know Joe Sinnot was still working. heard he broke his hand or something

He broke his shoulder last year, but I have seen the head shots he has done since then and he looks as good as he ever has....top notch..

Chris

Yep.. If you don't know exactly how to do, call your local Kinkos and ask if you can have them scan the art and convert it to a blue line and print on bristol.

Otherwise you can make a large scan of the piece, in photoshop select lightblue and white, then gradiate which will convert black inks into blue and whites to whiter..IF you can't do it, email me a Large 300DPI scan and I'll covert it for you.. then all you have to do is burn it to a CD and take it to Kinko's or other print shops to have printed on bristol.. Joe Likes smooth bristol..

Scott

Yep.. If you don't know exactly how to do, call your local Kinkos and ask if you can have them scan the art and convert it to a blue line and print on bristol.

Otherwise you can make a large scan of the piece, in photoshop select lightblue and white, then gradiate which will convert black inks into blue and whites to whiter..IF you can't do it, email me a Large 300DPI scan and I'll covert it for you.. then all you have to do is burn it to a CD and take it to Kinko's or other print shops to have printed on bristol.. Joe Likes smooth bristol..

Scott

Once again, more help then I expected or deserved. If I cannot get it done myself I will avail of your offer. Either way, thanks again.