• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone vouch for ebay seller "starwind1"

38 posts in this topic

I just won a Target #1 and a Captain America #10 off of ebay from a seller named "starwind1". I'm sure many of you have been watching his auctions on ebay recently. I was just wondering if anyone has done business with this seller in the past. He seems a little hard to deal with as he charges $10.00 to ship one book (and doesn't disclose it in his auctions) and will only accept money orders. He was also auctioning off a Captain America #16, but mysteriously cancelled all the bids a few hours before the auction ended, but bidding was still ongoing. A "mystery" bidder came out of nowhere to buy the book for $1202.00, though they haven't won anything on ebay in a few years from the look of their feedback. I'm just a little suspicious. If anyone here has any experience with the seller, his info from ebay is:

User ID: starwind1

Name: Perry A. Albert

Company:

City: Fredonia

State: NY

I hope this guy is legitimate. I'm just overyly cautious these days because I've been scammed for big money by an ebay seller that had a big time spotless feedback record, who then proceded to defraud about 70 customers in one month. Can anyone help to allay my fears? Thanks! frustrated.gif

I just won a Target #1 and a Captain America #10 off of ebay from a seller named "starwind1". I'm sure many of you have been watching his auctions on ebay recently. I was just wondering if anyone has done business with this seller in the past. He seems a little hard to deal with as he charges $10.00 to ship one book (and doesn't disclose it in his auctions) and will only accept money orders. He was also auctioning off a Captain America #16, but mysteriously cancelled all the bids a few hours before the auction ended, but bidding was still ongoing. A "mystery" bidder came out of nowhere to buy the book for $1202.00, though they haven't won anything on ebay in a few years from the look of their feedback. I'm just a little suspicious. If anyone here has any experience with the seller, his info from ebay is:

User ID: starwind1

Name: Perry A. Albert

Company:

City: Fredonia

State: NY

I hope this guy is legitimate. I'm just overyly cautious these days because I've been scammed for big money by an ebay seller that had a big time spotless feedback record, who then proceded to defraud about 70 customers in one month. Can anyone help to allay my fears? Thanks! frustrated.gif

Perry Albert has been around a long time and is totally legit Bought from him several times.

I bought a Wonderworld 7 from starwind1 and was very pleased with it. He did take an extra week or two to ship because he misplaced my money order after receiving, but it seemed like an honest mistake. I'd probably use Delivery Confirm next time, but would have no problem dealing with him again (and in fact, I was eyeing that Adventure #41 he just auctioned!). Seems like a decent guy.

Thanks,

When paying by money order, is there any recourse that I have if the seller turns out to be fraudulent?

He's not a fraudulent seller. He is on the up and up. I think he's either been burned by paypal chargeback scams or hates them on principle. You will get you books and I'm pretty sure they will be as described, if not he'll take them back. He is kind of a character, though, but I believe him to be honorable.Just my opinion.

Thanks,

When paying by money order, is there any recourse that I have if the seller turns out to be fraudulent?

He's not a fraudulent seller. He is on the up and up. I think he's either been burned by paypal chargeback scams or hates them on principle. You will get you books and I'm pretty sure they will be as described, if not he'll take them back. He is kind of a character, though, but I believe him to be honorable.Just my opinion.

I can vouch that you need not be a fraud to hate and loathe and despise paypal. They lied to me again and again about buying and receiving limits -- constantly manuipulating the rules to force you into letting them keep your money for months on end or pay three percent on all payments you receive regardless of how they're made. And the way they refuse to let you charge more for card payments is against the law in other businesses. Oh, and how many people became "verified" by adding a bank account then fond that even though you gave clear instructions to make a payment with a card they took it from the account (increases the money thety make on the "float" sp what the hey if it's defrauding you) They are a class-action suit waiting to happen.

Yep, Perry is an odd egg, but a good one. He likes money orders only, to keep the money away from his wife. If it was PayPal it would hit their account and he would lose it to her.

No kidding.

Oh wow! So that's it...that's pretty funny...and kinda sad..in a way.....but still funny.

Yep, Perry is an odd egg, but a good one. He likes money orders only, to keep the money away from his wife. If it was PayPal it would hit their account and he would lose it to her.

No kidding.

Oh wow! So that's it...that's pretty funny...and kinda sad..in a way.....but still funny.

You nailed it.

grin.gif

Thanks again everyone! This was one of my largest purchases on ebay and I was kind of scared because Perry seems to do things in a quirky way. For example, he purchased an All-Star #57 in VG on ebay about ten days ago for full guide (around $330 as I recall), and then just listed the exact same book for sale this week where it went for about $100.00 less. The book was accurately described grade wise in the original auction, and according to Perry, there were no surprise defects when he received the book. He just decided to go ahead and dump it one week after paying full guide and lost $100.00. I can't understand why he did that, but I'm sure he must have had a good reason. Just seems like kind of funny behavior to me, which is why I was kind of wary dealing with him the first time; that and the fact that he doesn't list his shipping charges in his auctions and then hit me with a non-negotiable $10.00 shipping charge for one book (ouch!). screwy.gif

He must have overspent and needed to get some cash. I try not to buy comics over the holidays, or sell for that matter. It feels selfish to buy and shipping is always such a mess. I have a grandson who is 7 and getting into comics and thinks that I'm the coolest grandpa because I have all these comic books. I've started buying him Archives. The great thing about him is that he understands why I won't let him read the originals. Sharp kid. Guess who I'll be leaving most of them to?

He must have overspent and needed to get some cash. I try not to buy comics over the holidays, or sell for that matter. It feels selfish to buy and shipping is always such a mess. I have a grandson who is 7 and getting into comics and thinks that I'm the coolest grandpa because I have all these comic books. I've started buying him Archives. The great thing about him is that he understands why I won't let him read the originals. Sharp kid. Guess who I'll be leaving most of them to?

This is great stuff Black Hand. I love hearing stories about children and grandchildren carrying on in the collecting footsteps.

-Chris

Here is an update on the situation. I had a feeling some more weirdness was coming. I won the Captain America #10 in VG- condition for $510.00. You can see the cover in ebay auction #170060401511. I thought it was a pretty good deal considering that the book looks pretty nice. Now, Perry wants to back out of the sale because he just discovered that the book is missing it's centerfold. He's going to return it to the original seller that he bought it from. I hope he's telling the truth, but something in my gut makes me feel that he "just discovered" this major defect because the book somehow didn't sell for the price he wanted. I just can't imagine that both Perry and the original seller he bought the book from (who apparently is honest enough to give him a full refund) would miss the fact that this high dollar book was missing it's centerfold. Hey, stranger things have happened, but Perry states in the auction that "This STUNNING VG- UNRESTORED copy will be going to CGC for slabbing and possible future sales should the serious bidders be asleep at the wheel when this item closes." That indicates to me that he could possibly be making all this up as an excuse to back out of the transaction. Any thoughts? frustrated.gif

Heck, Blackhand. He sounds like a great kid. Hell, I would leave him my books(just kidding). It's good to see some of the younger generation(s) get a collecting ethic going. grin.gif

Okay, that's like a written contract. So upon your accidental dea....... I mean upon your demise, all your comics will will go to my grandson. If you pass before he is 18 I shall hold them for him. Thank's buddy. thumbsup2.gif You're a good man.

Here is an update on the situation. I had a feeling some more weirdness was coming. I won the Captain America #10 in VG- condition for $510.00. You can see the cover in ebay auction #170060401511. I thought it was a pretty good deal considering that the book looks pretty nice. Now, Perry wants to back out of the sale because he just discovered that the book is missing it's centerfold. He's going to return it to the original seller that he bought it from. I hope he's telling the truth, but something in my gut makes me feel that he "just discovered" this major defect because the book somehow didn't sell for the price he wanted. I just can't imagine that both Perry and the original seller he bought the book from (who apparently is honest enough to give him a full refund) would miss the fact that this high dollar book was missing it's centerfold. Hey, stranger things have happened, but Perry states in the auction that "This STUNNING VG- UNRESTORED copy will be going to CGC for slabbing and possible future sales should the serious bidders be asleep at the wheel when this item closes." That indicates to me that he could possibly be making all this up as an excuse to back out of the transaction. Any thoughts? frustrated.gif

If this is a way out of completing a sale take back all the good thing's that I said about him. That does not smell right. No experienced comic guy, unless he's handling a ton of volume and is totally jaded, misses something as rudimentary as that.Could it be that he missed out on ending the auction early,plan A and has reverted to plan B. Is he a board member. I hope to god I'm wrong, but I'd like to hear what he has to say. What's that book guide for in that grade? This may all be perfectly innocent,in which case I stand by all the positive things I've said but it would be nice to hear a more detailed explanation.