• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When exactly did Cerebus get to be about 200 years old???

10 posts in this topic

Just picked up #291. Cerebus is now ancient, wrinkled, creaky and in pain all over his body. Ive been 'reading' every issue but cant remember how he got this way... Can anybody give me (and anyone else who is still reading along and totally lost at this point) a quick synopsis of whats gone on since the 3 Stooges showed up?

thank you in advance.

Dave's been jumping forward in time frequently during the final story arcs.

For example, the issue where Cerebus played that sport takes place over many years. Cerebus was tied up in that church for many years as well, and after he was released the stooges all grew old and died. Ditto for the woody allen character.

Plus I think being all fat then losing the weight has caused Cerebus' skin to stretch. Sort of like Fat [!@#%^&^] at the end of the last Austin Powers movie.

Kev

Any idea as to what will happen to the value of early Cerebus comics once the series comes to an end with issue #300?

History usually shows that a book tends to lose value once they stop producing new issues. Cerebus, however, is starting to become a pretty old book, and might be able to retain some of their collectibility value (hopefully).

So is this current issue another jump forward of many years all at once like the Five-Bar-gate thing? Yknow, it really seems a shame that for someone who knew after 7 issuesthat it would end at #300 that he seems to be running out of space here at the end......

I think it has achieved a certain level of respect as a work and as a collectible that it will maintain its values for awhile, especially the pretty scarce #1, and maybe all issues up to #10 or as far as #21. But, without the character reappearing (which he always said would never happen) long term prospects point to a slow dropoff in interest, and then, of course, prices .....till only the #1 has any significant value.

yes and no. ALL the early XMen issues (94 - up) were reprinted often by Marvel and havent affected the collectibility or prices of the originals...as just one example.

The early Cerebuses had low print runs. Which correspond with the lower number of collectors for them. "True" collectors will always prefer the original printing over a reprint.

The early Cerebuses had low print runs. Which correspond with the lower number of collectors for them. "True" collectors will always prefer the original printing over a reprint.

Oh I totally agree. All I am saying is that if there were no TPB's then the books would be valued at a higher level as you would have collectors and readers chasing them. Higher demand, same supply.

Oh I totally agree. All I am saying is that if there were no TPB's then the books would be valued at a higher level as you would have collectors and readers chasing them. Higher demand, same supply.

youre probably right. I have enjoyed and been immensely impressed by Dave's achievements when re-reading Cerebus in the phonebooks. It really is better than 5 minutes skim/read and wait a month! Its amazing how you can retain subplots and recurring imagery ONLY when redaing a couple years of stories all together in one sitting.

SO its gotta be true that for readers of Cerebus, people attracted to the story for the first time or others catching up on issues they missed before their time, buying a phonebook would be preferable to seeking out back issues.