• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah for Sale?!!

71 posts in this topic

Holy Spoon, Steve!! You're selling one of them?!

LINK

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif price: US $48,500.00

things to do list:

oil change

2% milk

book of stamps

offer Obadiah to Shield......nah, better scratch that

Steve, you're absolutely one of my favorites on here. You wear your heart on your sleeve and I can appreciate that. I just think that you're kidding yourself with the asking price. Have you shopped it around to large dealers? What would Metropolis pay you for it? I'll bet it'd be under 10k. Probably more like 4k.

And to answer your question, pal - I would be more interested in the 2% milk! poke2.gif

Have a Merry Christmas Steve, and I'd be so happy for you (honestly!) if you got a legit offer for the book that you felt comfortable with. Pre-Bat Detectives do it for me in a big way! cool.gif

Heritage might be the best option for this book, ever consider selling this through them?

Unbeknownst to most people, and you guys may find this interesting, the big, expensive Victorian and Platinum Age sales often take place privately...not thru dealers or auction houses. There is a network of collectors for these type of books, and we all know how to reach each other and who has what. Like a "secret society" of collectors that operate under the radar.

I have already recieved 2 email offers for Obadiah --- members from the "secret society", as word is spreading about my Ebay 30 day 'buy it now' auction. The offers were lower than I would accept, but that's not the point....the point is, GA books sell under a completely different set of circumstances and venues than the big Vic/Plat books.....just the way it is. And if you are wondering, yes.....it is much easier just to pop a nice GA book on Ebay, recieve 25 bids, and have it sold in 7 days.

I enjoy collecting both Golden Age and Platinum Age.....2 different worlds, 2 different sets of rules, but 1 common theme: a great book is a great book!

Heritage might be the best option for this book, ever consider selling this through them?

Unbeknownst to most people, and you guys may find this interesting, the big, expensive Victorian and Platinum Age sales often take place privately...not thru dealers or auction houses. There is a network of collectors for these type of books, and we all know how to reach each other and who has what. Like a "secret society" of collectors that operate under the radar.

I have already recieved 2 email offers for Obadiah --- members from the "secret society", as word is spreading about my Ebay 30 day 'buy it now' auction. The offers were lower than I would accept, but that's not the point....

I thought I told you not to tell anyone about my $67.38 offer!

Jeez, who can you trust these days?

Jack

Obie would have looked so nice next to my mid-grade Metamorpho funnybooks

I have already recieved 2 email offers for Obadiah --- members from the "secret society", as word is spreading about my Ebay 30 day 'buy it now' auction. The offers were lower than I would accept, but that's not the point....the point is, GA books sell under a completely different set of circumstances and venues than the big Vic/Plat books.....just the way it is. And if you are wondering, yes.....it is much easier just to pop a nice GA book on Ebay, recieve 25 bids, and have it sold in 7 days.

I enjoy collecting both Golden Age and Platinum Age.....2 different worlds, 2 different sets of rules, but 1 common theme: a great book is a great book!

i really hate to jump in here, but you have just said it yourself in this post. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING!

Unbeknownst to most people, and you guys may find this interesting, the big, expensive Victorian and Platinum Age sales often take place privately...not thru dealers or auction houses.

The same thing is often true with premium GA books and collections. So, in other words, yes, most of us do in fact already know this (but maybe you didn't?).

Whether the item would actually sell on Heritage or not is almost besides the point. Heritage is a great way to promote unique items, and, as you yourself point out, word does get around to other collectors. You have seen their full-color glossy catalogs, yes?

"Unbeknownst to most people." Wow, that doesn't come off as a touch arrogant. I wish you the best of luck with your attempt to sell but gee, go easy on Surfer, why doncha. He's one of the few people who was actually trying to give your overpriced butt some friendly advice.

"Unbeknownst to most people." Wow, that doesn't come off as a touch arrogant. I wish you the best of luck with your attempt to sell but gee, go easy on Surfer, why doncha. He's one of the few people who was actually trying to give your overpriced butt some friendly advice.

This was in no way arrogant...it was to be informative. This is a GA thread....how the %@ would these guys know how Platinum Age key books are often bought and sold if they don't deal in them like I do?

And as for the Silver Surfer....he is one of my favorite posters. I was not tough on him in any way, and am appreciative of his advice.

Why don't you deal with your depression internally, and not lash out at people here on the Boards

Is this the "secret society" that you were referring to?

ea11a452.jpg

This is a GA thread....how the %@ would these guys know how Platinum Age key books are often bought and sold if they don't deal in them like I do?

This is the kind of remark that says "arrogant". You're not talking to a bunch of car collectors about comics. You're talking Really old comics to those that collect pretty old comics. Many people here have been around long enough to remember the days when GA comics were mostly bought and sold privately and not through public venues. As such it's not a huge mystery that VA comics are still sold this way. You may know the prices realized better then the rest, but private sales are nothing new to the hobby.

You've been a great poster on here, but sometimes it does feel like you're talking down to us. You're more fun when you're not doing that.

This is a GA thread....how the %@ would these guys know how Platinum Age key books are often bought and sold if they don't deal in them like I do?

This is the kind of remark that says "arrogant".

[snip]

You've been a great poster on here, but sometimes it does feel like you're talking down to us. You're more fun when you're not doing that.

Agreed... and I would still say that a large number of the big GA transactions occur away from eBay or other auction sites. They are usually collector to collector deals that happen behind the scenes.

You've been a great poster on here, but sometimes it does feel like you're talking down to us.

Well,

that may be due to the way I word things here on the Boards, and for that I offer this: flowerred.gif

The truth is just the opposite.....I look up to you guys, even if we disagree hi.gif

[snip]

Agreed... and I would still say that a large number of the big GA transactions occur away from eBay or other auction sites. They are usually collector to collector deals that happen behind the scenes.

You are correct.

[snip]

You are correct.

Same is true for a lot of original art

Why don't you deal with your depression internally, and not lash out at people here on the Boards

Um, did you miss the part where I wished you the best of luck in your attempt to sell?

Whatever, guess I'm done here. Moving along...

Hey Steve - any serious offers on this book yet? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

2...thanks for asking. Neither really blows my skirt up. (highest is for what I paid)

this "offering" of OO at this time is not a serious attempt to sell. I don't really want to sell now......this was always a long term project/hold for me. Although OO is a dirty word here on the Boards, there are some pretty smart people in the comic community who think down the road OO will be a really big deal....and not just to a few people.

I'm just throwing it out there to see if I can get a real juicy offer that I can't refuse.......should that happen now, I would probably sell now.

I'm sure some of you have had this mindset from time to time with one of your bigger books...........don't really want to sell, but for the right price, your arm could be twisted wink.gif