• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stratification of values

8 posts in this topic

There was a time when a Fine book would get about 50% of a NM book and Good would be about 50% of the fine value. Now Overstreet shows a much greater seperation between the grades and reality is even worse. How much further can this trend go? It seems especially rediculous when an 8.5 goes for about 75% of a 9.0. Are collectors doing themselves a disservice by buying anything buy 9.0 and above?

It reflects supply and demand, simple as that. Back in the day, demand for absolute perfection was lower than today. Like most other collectibles highest end has grown the most as long as the industry as a whole has grown. With ease of transaction costs especially with the internet, there isn't a similar reason to pay money for VG 60's Marvels when there are tons of supply.

There was a time when a Fine book would get about 50% of a NM book and Good would be about 50% of the fine value. Now Overstreet shows a much greater seperation between the grades and reality is even worse. How much further can this trend go? It seems especially rediculous when an 8.5 goes for about 75% of a 9.0. Are collectors doing themselves a disservice by buying anything buy 9.0 and above?

The gap between Mint or Near Mint and mid-grades/lower grades has been widening since the price guide was first published. I believe that as the internet makes mid-grade and low-grade copies more available, the gap will continue to widen even further.

At least the mid and lower grade comics aren't losing value, it is just that high grade issues are going for insane prices.

I'm not sure I would agree with that. Mid and lower grade books did lose a lot of their perceived value with the coming of the internet a more readily available books. With the continuing trend it seems that high grade books will continue to appriciate, mid grade books might hold their own, but low grade books might actually continue to lose some value especially with inflation factored in.

Mid and lower grade books did lose a lot of their perceived value with the coming of the internet a more readily available books. With the continuing trend it seems that high grade books will continue to appriciate, mid grade books might hold their own, but low grade books might actually continue to lose some value especially with inflation factored in.

This is true for post-1965 books, and the spreads on these will continue to grow (I believe the early prices guides had a spread of 1-2-3 for G-F-M (NM?)). Post-1965 low grade books lost their value big time as the internet allowed everyone to see how common they were, now they're available from everyone, not just "dealers" at shows, through mail-order, or at the LCS. It's my understanding that the spreads between low-grade and high-grade specimens in other, more mature collectible fields (such as coins) are much greater than they are in comics, and I imagine the trend of increasing price discrepancies will continue in comics.

However, early SA and GA books in low grade still sell well, and don't appear to have lost their value.