• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best GA Purchase for 2006

236 posts in this topic

Thanks Ray!

To tell you the truth, I ended up selling the Action 32 to mattbird, who needed it for his Action run. I kinda miss that one too... confused-smiley-013.gif

Flipper! 27_laughing.gif

At least we have a trail...

Once I get this GGA out of my system I'd like to assemble a low grade Action and Supes run, although I don't see myself paying current Action 1 prices.

Yep. tongue.gif Matt and I actually work together, so he's aware of all of my incoming books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Low grade Actions & Supermans are a heck of a lot of fun. I'm honestly kind of amazed to be one of the few here (maybe the only one? anyone else?) working on the single digit Supermans in low grade. They're incredibly cool early books for so many reasons, and despite the perception that they're very common, are getting quite tough in affordable low grade.

Yep. tongue.gif Matt and I actually work together, so he's aware of all of my incoming books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Low grade Actions & Supermans are a heck of a lot of fun. I'm honestly kind of amazed to be one of the few here (maybe the only one? anyone else?) working on the single digit Supermans in low grade. They're incredibly cool early books for so many reasons, and despite the perception that they're very common, are getting quite tough in affordable low grade.

The first rule of the Low-grade Single-digit Superman Club is that there is no Low-grade Single-digit Superman Club. wink.gif

This one just squeaks in under the wire! Purchased some 3-4 months ago...sent to Matt Nelson, who did an excellent job of repairing the full spine split...and just received back. My best GA purchase for 2006...

1555865-supe2.jpg

headbang.gif Great Early Superman......

gossip.gif It was a good read too....

This one just squeaks in under the wire! Purchased some 3-4 months ago...sent to Matt Nelson, who did an excellent job of repairing the full spine split...and just received back. My best GA purchase for 2006...

1555865-supe2.jpg

Nice work PF!! I love seeing the low grade copies as much as the high grade "untouchables! Congratulations!! What a great book to own! Do you mind sharing what the repairs cost?

Any plans to go after a "beater" SUP #1?

1555865-supe2.jpg

Nice work PF!! I love seeing the low grade copies as much as the high grade "untouchables! Congratulations!! What a great book to own! Do you mind sharing what the repairs cost?

Any plans to go after a "beater" SUP #1?

Sweet book... first time i actually seen the cover 893applaud-thumb.gif

1555865-supe2.jpg

Very cool book, Jon. Congrats 893applaud-thumb.gif

1555865-supe2.jpg

I've always like the cover to Superman 2&3 more than 1.

I have a 1968 comicbook guide with that exact picture of tarzan you posted.It says 250.00 next to the picture.It also says 250.00 next to the Marvel #1 pictured.

Peter, is that the small yellow-cover guide (I want to say by House of Collectibles?).

If so, I don't remember the year being '68, but rather around '73.

I could be wrong about the year. Ill have to check. It is a smaller book.

Official Guide to Comic Books by Hal Cohen vol. 1 yellow cover with price $5 1974 listed SS 20 Tarzan at $225 and Marvel #1 at $800. Guide was ahead of its time by recognizing Yellow Kid v. 1 1897 as 1st ever comic BOOK with 3 glossy color pages. Published by House of Collectibles.

Official Guide to Comic Book vol. 2 by Michael Resnick blue cover; retail $6.95 1977 listed SS 20 Tarzan $300 while Marvel #1 jumped to $5,250.

Overstreet later published under the Offical Price Guide line of books. news.gif

1555865-supe2.jpg

May I ask how much he charged to repair the spine split?

Many thanks everyone for the kind words. thumbsup2.gif

In answer to Ryan & TDK's questions about the restoration: the charge was $250 which included reattachment of the covers, sealing numerous tears on both covers, slight reinforcement of the first wrap, and cleaning. He also pressed out a slight spine roll on the pages, which I think improved the spine dramatically (such as it is, obviously), and made the book look much sharper overall.

I did look into the next tier of restoration, but (no big surprise) it just didn't make sense financially to go all the way in terms of color touch, piece replacement etc, as it would cost enough that it would make more sense just to buy a better copy. Doesn't matter to me, as I'm thrilled with it as is. The book is now quite sturdy, and the page quality is quite nice, so it has many years of enjoyment left. cloud9.gif

Surprised Matt Nelson only quoted u $250 for that much work. I asked for a quote on a Richie Rich #1 entire cover spine split but otherwise apparent vf and was quoted $500. So I reneged. sign-rantpost.gif

That was $500 Canadian! poke2.gif

I declined the cover spline split reinforcement on Richie Rich #1 at $500 US greenbacks in 2006.

I just talked to Matt and he indicated it must have been a mistake. He said he would never quote $500 for a spine split seal. I'm sure he would be happy to do it for $250.