• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best GA Purchase for 2006

236 posts in this topic

These arrived just this morning, so they're just getting in under the wire for 2006. Sorry I'm using Heritage's scans, I'm just too lazy to do it myself.

Although I'm not a GA collector (except for Ducks), I like Mac Raboy's covers a lot and have coveted this particular book since I saw it in one of JP's ads in Overstreet. So when it appeared in the Heritage November auction, to be auctioned off on the last day, and some books I was selling in the same auction went for much more than I expected during the first 2 days, I decided to take advantage of my unexpected windfall.

Oh, and it's my first Church book... ever. grin.gif

107757.jpg

A-a-and, since I had just picked up the #1, it seemed wrong to not make a run at the Church copy of #3. smirk.gif

822012979o.jpg

Great pick-up. Always exciting to find an OO GA collection. Are you going to sell or keep them, or a combo? Any More Funs? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'll be breaking them up, probably selling most. No More Funs, sorry.

What's the condition of the Adventure Comics #73 in the top left corner and what kind of price range did your have in mind for this book? Are you planning to sell them on eBay or give us a preview here on the boards first?

One other question, any nice early Archies in the collection? 893crossfingers-thumb.giftakeit.gif

These arrived just this morning, so they're just getting in under the wire for 2006. Sorry I'm using Heritage's scans, I'm just too lazy to do it myself.

Although I'm not a GA collector (except for Ducks), I like Mac Raboy's covers a lot and have coveted this particular book since I saw it in one of JP's ads in Overstreet. So when it appeared in the Heritage November auction, to be auctioned off on the last day, and some books I was selling in the same auction went for much more than I expected during the first 2 days, I decided to take advantage of my unexpected windfall.

107757.jpg

A-a-and, since I had just picked up the #1, it seemed wrong to not make a run at the Church copy of #3. smirk.gif

822012979o.jpg

Tim;

If I remember correctly, you started with just just 1 GA book and now you've added a couple more real nice ones. I think you are starting to dip more than just your little toe in the water. Before you know it, you'll be slugging it out with everybody else for those silly little pre-Robin 'Tec books. poke2.gif

Nice pickup on the these two Church books. Probably not a bad time to be picking up the Raboy covers since the Fawcett books have been out of favor for awhile, and you should be able to pick them up relatively cheap.

No question about you good sense of timing based upon some of your previous purchases. thumbsup2.gif

If I remember correctly, you started with just just 1 GA book and now you've added a couple more real nice ones. I think you are starting to dip more than just your little toe in the water. Before you know it, you'll be slugging it out with everybody else for those silly little pre-Robin 'Tec books. poke2.gif

Nice pickup on the these two Church books. Probably not a bad time to be picking up the Raboy covers since the Fawcett books have been out of favor for awhile, and you should be able to pick them up relatively cheap.

No question about you good sense of timing based upon some of your previous purchases. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Lou. I actually purchased all 3 of my non-Duck GAs in one go at this auction. I just chose to reveal these last, so as not to jinx my shipment. This is not the start of a new trend for me, just a last splurge because of the unexpected windfall, for a book I'd been intrigued with for a while and the fact that I'd never owned a Church book. I WAS trying to win the #1, trying half-heartedly for the #3, and I never even expected to win the More Fun #100 at the bid I made.

Investment-wise, quite frankly I can't think of a worse way to go than Fawcetts. They're incredibly plentiful in HG, so plentiful that I would have to use a 9.6 cut-off just like I do with post-1964 SAs! Combine that with the fact that Ibis is an extremely obscure series that will never attract a real following. Raboy is popular, but he doesn't have a fanatical following, hence the relatively low prices for all those Capt Marvel Jrs featuring his covers. This was definitely a purchase from the heart, and not the head.

I guess this counts since it's all one purchase. 750 original owner books from the 40s and 50s I picked up last Monday...

1548242-group1.jpg

Congrats on what looks like a great little pick-up. thumbsup2.gif

Were they well-read copies like most GA collections or were they kept minty fresh like the Church copies? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Did the owner know that they were worth something or was he offering you money to dispose of them for him? 27_laughing.gif

I certainly wouldn't mind picking up a collection like that! cloud9.gif

It's a mixed bag--some were well-read, some not so much. As a general rule, the superhero books seem a little rougher, the Disney's, especially the ducks, a little nicer. Nice paper on most, staple rust on some.

These are from the same collection as the two issues of Mask Comics that were just sold on ebay. I saw that the guy selling them was local, so I contacted him and asked him if he had any other books. He said he had nine boxes (turned out to be ten), so I went to check them out. He had CGC'd and sold a few books, so he had a sense of their value. I didn't pull a Chuck, I was straightforward about what I thought the value was, and what I was willing to offer for them. I had offered to buy some specific books (the Ducks and some of the horror books), but he didn't want to sell any more piecemeal, so...

Looking at these photos again made me think that about how much fun this guy would have had as a kid buying comics! cloud9.gif

I guess this counts since it's all one purchase. 750 original owner books from the 40s and 50s I picked up last Monday...

1548242-group1.jpg

Fantastic collection Roger!!!

So THAT"S what you used all the money I've spent with you this year on!!! Smart choice!

Anything in there for your old pal?

893crossfingers-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Yikes...ton of nice stuff in this thread....

My "Best" purchase of 2006 is not that of a HG superhero fantastic artist type book..nope...mine is the following book that I had known about since the late seventies and had pretty much resigned myself to never finding a raw copy ever...lo and behold ...a copy is displayed for all to see at a local con this year and once I had laid my eyes on it I knew I was buying it and slabbing it for posterity...

So basically my "Best" purchase is that of the book that has brought me the most satisfaction in my collecting even though I've picked up many other nice GA books thoughout the year...

bloodharvestcgclabel.jpg

bloodharvestcgcfront.jpg

So basically my "Best" purchase is that of the book that has brought me the most satisfaction in my collecting

As it should be. thumbsup2.gif

Many of my favoritest books are not keys, are not sought after, and are not very expensive relative to other books.

So basically my "Best" purchase is that of the book that has brought me the most satisfaction in my collecting even though I've picked up many other nice GA books thoughout the year...

Well said ArAich...and I am likewise very impressed with the breadth and quality of books already posted here.

This has been one of the most acitve years for me, highlighted by acquisitions of a handful of Central Valley books (A-1 Comics, Brian Peets) and Detroit Trolley books (CollectorsAssemble, Marnin Rosenberg).

I purchased comics from a plethora of different entities in 2006 to include dealers, private collectors, ebay, and auction houses.

But there's one book I'd have to describe as the most satisfying - I obtained this in San Diego direct from Simon Powell (with an appreciative helping hand from Stephen Ritter). Raw and with fresh off-white pages, too.

100_0856NF.jpg

Good collecting to one and all in 2007.

STEVE

Well said ArAich...and I am likewise very impressed with the breadth and quality of books already posted here.

This has been one of the most acitve years for me, highlighted by acquisitions of a handful of Central Valley books (A-1 Comics, Brian Peets) and Detroit Trolley books (CollectorsAssemble, Marnin Rosenberg).

I purchased comics from a plethora of different entities in 2006 to include dealers, private collectors, ebay, and auction houses.

But there's one book I'd have to describe as the most satisfying - I obtained this in San Diego direct from Simon Powell (with an appreciative helping hand from Stephen Ritter). Raw and with fresh off-white pages, too.

100_0856NF.jpg

Good collecting to one and all in 2007.

STEVE

great book Steve! Ritter is one of my favorite dealers in the hobby.

great book Steve! Ritter is one of my favorite dealers in the hobby.

Thnx - I bought another Simon Powell book (an early Funny Pages) from him in San Diego this year, and a month later I noticed the centerfold was out (hard to tell on these early books because of the number of 1 page strips). Not only did he take the book back without question, he apologized for the overisght and even refunded my return postage!

Steve Ritter is a top dealer in my book - he defines integrity and customer service, and did a marvelous job brokering the Powell collection.

STEVE

Tough to choose my best purchase of 2006 (have bought a lot of early Tecs this year). But this is probably it:

MP 8.0 for $5k:

Tec31-1.jpg

Koko, that is a great buy on a fabulous book!! (one that I need, I hasten to add)

thumbsup2.gif

Amazing books everyone! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Much for me to envy - laugh.gif

Most coveted by me:

Banner's Capt. Flight #11 ( I have a copy - but it is a POS compared to that one)

Centaurman's All-American #61 - my favorite GA DC cover

buttock's Headline #8 - I've wanted that book for a looooong time.

Weird Paper's massive score - A lot of those books pictured would be keepers for me.

That's not to say there aren't plenty more in this thread that I love to have picked up myself this year.

I didn't buy much in 2006 - but did pick up one long time grail.

cap46.jpg

Happy Holidays to everyone!

107757.jpg

822012979o.jpg

Congrats Tim. I've always really like those early Ibis covers because they have great imagery and are not cartoonish like many of the other Fawcett titles. And to get the Church copies: 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif