• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the first pedigree collection?

8 posts in this topic

Cosmic Aeroplane hit around 1972, the Reilly books in '73, the Larsons sometime in the mid-70s, but of course none of them were called "pedigrees" at that time.

I do believe the concept of a comic book pedigree came along with the Church books, and the previous collections were retroactively assigned that designation.

Here is what I have from Greg Manning 2001 Auction:

Cosmic Airplane, 1972

Larson, mid 1970's

Chicago/Oleshefsky, 1975

Mile High, 1977

Windy City, 1978

Pennsylvania, late 70's

Hawkeye, 1984

White Mountain, 1984-96

Allentown, 1987

Recil Macon, 1990

Bethlehem, 1990

"D", 1991

Carson City, 1992

Massachusetts, 1993

Blankis-Salida, 1994

Cresent City, 1995

River City, 1998

Northford, 1999

Pacific Coast, 1999

Crowley, 2000

Cosmic Aeroplane hit around 1972, the Reilly books in '73, the Larsons sometime in the mid-70s, but of course none of them were called "pedigrees" at that time.

I do believe the concept of a comic book pedigree came along with the Church books, and the previous collections were retroactively assigned that designation.

In his ComicZone interview (3rd segment) Rozanski said he came up with "Pedigree" because he knew it from coins, his mom was a coin dealer and that's what they did for marketing.

It's an interesting show. thumbsup2.gifComic Zone Chuck Rozanski (Edgar Church collection)