• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to buy?

19 posts in this topic

Hi,this is my first time posting,and I am trying to decide on what silver age marvels to buy.I have $2200 Australian dollars(Roughly $1300 US) and I want to buy VF copies of the following

Amazing Spiderman 6,9,10,13

Fantastic Four 8,10,12

Which comic(Or comics) would you guys suggest?(I want to buy them without the CGC grading)

Assuming you have limited funds, want all the books but have to prioritize, I would get them in the following sequence.

ASM 6, 9, 13, 10

FF 12, 8 10

All great books, good luck in getting them. Enjoy. grin.gif

Good luck getting them in VF without being slabbed. There is a very good possiblity that they could have restoration.

Also, and this has been noted many times, most dealers will try to get slabbed prices for these books "raw", so it almost doesn't make sense to take a chance and buy these unslabbed. You can always break the slab to read them.

Buying all of them in strict VF sounds like too much to ask for for US $1300...you'd probably have to settle for FN 6.0 copies for that amount. I'm not sure you could get all six issues even in Fine for only $1300, but it's possible.

Plus right now ASM is very popular becuase of the movies. However the FF's may go up when the FF movie is closer to release.

I would choose the FF first, then get the ASM's. Only because I prefer the FF over ol' Spidey.

I want to buy them without the CGC grading)

SACRILEGE! Whaddya mean not slabbed? Might as well get the Marvel Essentials Vol 1 FF and Vol 1 Spidey - total cost retail = US $30; if all you want to do is read them. Otherwise, you wnat them in VF grade, sfilosa makes a fine point - get it slabbed if you are going to be spending that much on it anyway. who breaks out a $500 - $1K book form a slab just to read when more cost-efficient reprints and lower grade (poor - gd)copies abound? where is the logic in that...

Good luck getting them in VF without being slabbed. There is a very good possiblity that they could have restoration.

Also, and this has been noted many times, most dealers will try to get slabbed prices for these books "raw", so it almost doesn't make sense to take a chance and buy these unslabbed. You can always break the slab to read them.

Sfilosa is 100% correct. Plus, take it from another aussie, you really don't want to risk having your books screwed up in the mail system. That CGC plastic is a god send for foreigners (besides the restoration issue).

I am buying for my enjoyment of the stories and the art,I will probably never sell the books I have

Two words: Marvel Masterworks

Having the books would be great also, but on the older stuff like that I get the Masterworks for reading and the originals for collecting.

you still can buy "raw" comics, for me cgc is best for high grade from 8,5/9,0 and up,for investor or seller, it's the perfect tool but if you want to "enjoy " fully your comics it's a bit frustrating.

i have the essential for read the story( where i want without the fear of destroying the book) but from ad to fan mail i like to "read" the original also that' s impossible with cgc,i will not buy multi grade of the same books also i think you can check a F or VF without make it become a G-

i hope also that you can find dealers who sell raw without resto that can be trust . this is not about "raw" vs cgc , if i start to check hg i will buy cgc or nothing .

you still can buy "raw" comics, for me cgc is best for high grade from 8,5/9,0 and up,for investor or seller, it's the perfect tool but if you want to "enjoy " fully your comics it's a bit frustrating.

i have the essential for read the story( where i want without the fear of destroying the book) but from ad to fan mail i like to "read" the original also that' s impossible with cgc,i will not buy multi grade of the same books also i think you can check a F or VF without make it become a G-

i hope also that you can find dealers who sell raw without resto that can be trust . this is not about "raw" vs cgc , if i start to check hg i will buy cgc or nothing .

When you are talking ASM #6, 9, 13 etc then these are investment books regardless of what the grade is. A fine #6 is going to set anyone back $400. My only comment around CGC and being a foreigner is that if you buy off ebay as a newbie then you are certifiably insane if you don't go for the protection of CGC.

When you are talking ASM #6, 9, 13 etc then these are investment books regardless of what the grade is. A fine #6 is going to set anyone back $400. My only comment around CGC and being a foreigner is that if you buy off ebay as a newbie then you are certifiably insane if you don't go for the protection of CGC.

A point was made here that is very valid. Any expensive book (regardless of grade), is worth buying certified for the protection of getting an unrestored book. There are as many (probably more), VG and Fine copies that have "small color touch" as there high grade.

Your total loss won't be as great if you buy a Fine copy only to find out it is restored, but you still lose. 893whatthe.gif

i agree on that for restoration check cgc is the only solution ... me, i am casy, i sometime buy raw ,i must to admit it; i take a risk. crazy.gif

i check carefully the seller's feedback ( he must have plenty and 100% positive) and i buy only if the guy put in the ad "no restoration" but i will not recomand to do like me if you plan to resell .

if you want raw comics to "read" so buy cgc and open it insane.gif