• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RATE WHAT YOU READ

136 posts in this topic

Not at home, so sorry for lack of issue #'s

Best books read lately: STORMWATCH PHD --Just good solid stuff with intriguing characters. The team has such an underdog feel to it that it is hard to not like them. Reminds me of ellis stormwatch a little.

Astonishing X-men : So much said already. ALL TRUE. Best x-book in a long time.

Winter soldier civil war one-shot/Kingpin War crimes Civil War One shot-- Easily the best civil war stories. If you liked anything about Civil War you will like these 2.

WALKING DEAD -- This title bored me for about 6 months, but has really cranked it up the last 4 issues. It dipped down to a 7 for that 6 month period, but is now a 10 again!

THE BOYS --Garth ennis that is good again! Has the same under-dog feel of stormwatch. The guys don't really seem to have powers, but somehow beat-down super "heroes"

Anyway--Just thought i would throw out some current faves.

Astonishing Xmen pulled me back into collecting modern books after a 5 year lay off. So I agree, it's all good with that one. Other X books are Ok (I only do Uncanny and X men no "New Xmen" or whatever.

Ultimate Fantastic Four: I'm not an FF fan, never have been. This book, esp 1-32 or so (Marvel Zombies) is excellent. They re-did the characters just enough to make it great (really!)

Action Comics: Again, not a Superman fan, but here is a book that makes me want to read Superman. Currently doing a Phantom Zone, General Zod storyline. Nifty.

New Universal: I was a fan of some of the original books. DP7 and Psyforce were not as bad as you would expect. Many of the other books including "Kickers Inc" stank like *spoon*. This new take on those characters is EXCELLENT (so far, it's only been 3 issues).

Goon: Funny book. Can get old, but if you try not to read too much into it the book can be funny.

This week we have just two books, one Marvel, and one DC.

Up first Caption America # 25. Let me start by saying that I have always been a big Cap.

fan, just not one to buy the book over the years. Beyond the hype that this issue has

(and if you don't know what happens in this issue.........) 893naughty-thumb.gif.. makepoint.gif, this

story was able to bring a reader up-to-date with the Cap. and all that he means to

thoses that have faught with him or have seen him fight for what he belives in. If

I can tell a little about the story without taking away from the end, there are many factions

at work here that want a part in Caps. "outcome" as it were. We are shown most of these

along the way as the story reflects on the road that Cap. has taken and the ideals that

have molded him. There are two BIG reveals that have major impact, and will have long-

lasting effect. For someone that has not read a Cap. book in years this is one to keep,

as in the furture this will be the point where everything changed. I give this book:

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifout of 4.

Next up is Justice League of America # 6. This is one of those books that gets better with

each new issue, and this one is a winner from page one. Ed Benes is so right for this type

of 'team' book. The fight scenes are brutal and well crafted, and in this issue we see

just how well this 'team' can fight. But beyond that Brad Meltzer has never let us

forget their "humanity" especially the Tornado, in this the final chapter in the first arc.

I counted at least 8 HOLY 893censored-thumb.gif scenes before the bitter-sweet last page.

This one gets thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif out of four. One of the best

books out there today. Till next week......... hi.gif

Hi guys,

Any threads on New Avengers Illuminati? I'm surprised I haven't noticed anything because I was pretty blown away by the book. Really epic stuff with the usual Bendis sardonic wit. I never read new books twice but I did this time.

I also thought the latest Conan was wonderful. A King Conan story that seems to really expand on Savage Sword 26 and 27, which was maybe my favorite story ever. You'll never look at Picts the same way again. I'm shocked but I don't miss Busiek at all.

Norrin: I read that same Hellboy TPB this week. Pretty good though it didn't quite live up to the set-up in the first "issue."

Marc

Ok, I finally got around to reading the stack of TPB's that have been sitting on my dresser for a while.

Punisher: thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif Finished the 12 Issue HC and the First two trades, not sure why I don't give it 4 thumbs up, Ill report back after reading TPB 3-6.

Conan: Hey Marc not sure why everyone is surprised this book has maintained its lustre, Tim Truman is a great story teller, I was so happy that he was signed for this book. Cary Nords's art remains awesome and he will be doing the covers starting next issue cloud9.gif Here's what happened the last time he did a cover.

Conan16.jpg

Oh if the art ever came up for sale. cloud9.gif

Question? Is 52 in Trades Yet? I am sticking to my rule of no new titles in pamphlet (only get 7, soon to be 5 as soon as the two X-Books hot their 500/200 milestones).

I read the prelude to Civil War, it was ok thumbsup2.gif 1/2

And finally, I am thinking of what new series of trades to buy so here is my Poll - I'll let the forum decide.

The first trade for 52 isn't out yet. I can't remember when it's supposed to be released. I think within the next couple of months. As far as the poll you have listed, I chose Walking Dead over Fables by a slim margin. Preacher would be third and I've never read Goon so I can't comment on it. I would recommend all that I have read though.

Thanks John, I have heard great things about all those series, but figured I'd see what the Modern board has to say - c'mon people cast a vote, I'd like to put my order in by Friday grin.gif

I think 52 is finally picking up the pace as they reveal what causes Countdown last week I think. I would like to get the BIG ? done and finished. Tired of reading about her Quest of self exploration. Id like to see more Space Epic with Kory and have them start wrapping up the series. The Elongated Man part I really enjoyed as well. Nice to see him end on a very high note.

I have been dropping a lot of moderns recently but a must read for me continues to be the Dark Horse Conan series. Since it started it has consistently been entertaining. If you like hack & slash I highly recommend it. thumbsup2.gif)

If Conan isn't enough violence for you, Garth Ennis has kept the Punisher interesting for years now. Quite an achievement since the Punisher is a one dimensional character. For mature readers, but if you like lots of killin then this is a good book.

bumpit.gif

This week I have two books that I would like to rate: One DC, and One Marvel.

DC first: Justice League of America # 7, Meltzer, Benes, and Hope. This story is both

an epilogue, and a beginning as we see the "League" re-forming. It is a mix of the 'old-

guard', with 'new' members ( with one major name change ). We see the new headquraters,

via a small step 'side-ways'. The art is stunning, as we see the 'arsenal', and the

'kitchen' ( you will understand when you read it ). I don't want to give away too much

here as there is a nice surprise towards the end. This book hits on all the right notes.

I give it thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif out of four.

Now onto the Marvel book. The Immortal Iron Fist # 4, Brubaker, Fraction, Aja, Foreman,

and Hollingsworth. This is one of Mavels best keep secret, as this book with only four issues

is building into something great. We learn about the 'source' of the 'Iron Fist', and how it

can be used and abused. We learn more about thoses that have been the 'Iron Fist' of

the past, and about the Rand family and its 'foundation'. This is one book that Marvel

is making good on. I give this thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifout of four.

Till next week.......... hi.gif

What I have read this week that I give headbang.gifthumbsup2.gifheadbang.gif

Hulk 105--Great ending to planet Hulk and a look at the the Hulk comming to Earth

Punisher( Max)-- If you like the punisher at all, start picking up this series. ITs one of my 3 fav's thumbsup2.gif

Jonah Hex--AWSOME as usual thumbsup2.gif

Iron Fist #4--Good story, good art. This book could actually make people LOVE Iron Fist again thumbsup2.gif

JLA #7---HALL OF JUSTICE --Nuff said

The bad list:

Avengers Innative #1---it sucked. I so much enjoyed the first 15 issues of the New Avengers. Story blew and art was just as bad. Seems like this franchise is DEAD boo.gifsleeping.gif

Savage Tales #1--- I was not impresssed at all and I was really looking foward to it.- confused-smiley-013.gifsleeping.gif

-Still can not wait for The Boys to return headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

Went to the comic shop for the first time in several months and picked up the first four issues of Hellboy: Darkness Calls.

The art isn't by Mignola, only the story (which deals with Baba Yaga attempting to get her revenge). But the art by Duncan Fegredo is pretty good. And I'd rather have a new Hellboy story without Mignola art than no new Hellboy story.

Overall I am please so far. Issue #5 (of 6) comes out this week. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Iron Fist is exceptional. The newest issue read like a great kung-fu flick. The writing and art propel this book to a must read.

I agree (still on vacation, just spending the morning and afternoon reading comic books :grin: ).

Just read Midnighter/Grifter mini it was pretty good. Not as good as the Midnighter series though.

Read Booster Gold 1 and thought it was fun, but we we see how it goes.......

Newest issue of Criminal (Brubaker) was great! You cannot go wrong with this series (Or anything else he writes). The new issues of DD and Cap were excellent as well.

Birds of Prey 108 was really good and a wrap up to a bunch of storylines. 109 might be a good jumping on point.

Just finished the Wisdom mini and it was real good! :applause:

New issue of the Boys, still in my top 10 (worship)

Still enjoying Countdown, Fables, DMZ, Ultimate Spidey, New Warriors, Army @ Love, Jack of Fables, the WW Hulk stuff, Hellblazer, Testement.

The new book by Rih Koslowski "The List" is great!!!! Anything he does is just so fresh, always takes me by suprise....

The new issue of the Flash 231 was only ok, like BG, I will se where it goes. I am not to thrilled about the kids, but who knows? (shrug)

Gonna keep reading some more today before I head of with my best fried Adam to meet Da Kramer at the REAL Smith & Wollensky! Best pea soup, cold artichoke, hash browns, steak, and white chocolate mousse in a dark chocolate cup in NYC. Not to mention one of the largest wine cellers as well :cloud9:

Agreed on Criminal. Ridiculously good book.

Booster Gold was interesting enough to see where it will go. Semi-neat explanation of why Gold will always be regarded as a second-rate hero. But I was hoping they'd break him out of that mold (not likely).

The end of the Grifter/Midnighter series was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the 1st few issues, was skeptical in the 2nd few, and bummed in the last few. #6 felt really rushed.

But I did love that Midnighter issue that Brian K. Vaughan did.

Pat

I am dropping Exiles at 100. Claremont clearly has no clue anymore.

While I like the writing in Iron Fist the art is just such a turn off. Ill buy the tournament storyline then I am done. The art is just painful. I think its way worse then the art in New Avengers and I think that sucks.

While I am still enjoying World War Hulk is starting to show how Marvel is forcing the writers to drag this out. Both Hulk and WWH suffer from it. The tie-ins pretty well suck just like you would expect them too. I did enjoy the Ghost Rider story some even though he was only in the first issue on the last panel.

Someone had me pick up Grimm's Fairy Tales for them last week so I read it before I packed it up. Really good writing with umm nice assets artistically. Not really my bag, but I can now see why many are liking it. Sexy art decent writing.

JSA is consistent actually the model of consistency. Not great, but not bad either. Id like something to shake the title up some. The lightning saga just left me confused. Was I the only one?

My guilty pleasure is still Shadowpact. If circulation doesnt rise though I look for them to cancel it soon and I hate that. The art is above average and the writing has been decent.

I picked up the 1st issue of ASM one more day. So what there was nothing earth shattering. ASM fans just keep clinging hoping they will write ASM good again someday. That day is dead I think until they decide to kill Aunt May and either get rid of MJ or give some sort of purpose.

Uncanny X-men is still pretty good with Brubaker at the helm. While he is there I will be too.

Marvel Zombies in Black Panther is a fun read, but sooner or later he is going to have to get back to Wakanda and take care of ALOT of dangling plots. I have loved this book from beginning, but come on enough Zombies.

I dont get all Extinction stuff in all the X titles, but it looks like the Dark Beast will be come a major character soon. Anybody got a 1st app on him I am too lazy to look.

Black Adam looked very good and I hope it continues that way.

Trials of Shazam is excellent, but is plagued by either lateness or a sporadic issue run dont know which. Love Winnick

This time around we have two books, one Marvel, and one DC.

First up is Captain America: The Chosen. The writer is David Morrell, the art

is by Mitch Breitweiser. We are shown a Corporal James Newman U.S.

Marine, who is in Afghanistan. He is going through what can only be called

' a question of duty ', as he (and we the reader) are thrown into a full-on-fire-

fight. Finding himself unable to go on, he is face to face with Captain America.

What happens next is ' courage under fire ', as Cap. and Newman save two

downed Corpsmen, or was Cap. there at all??? hm. The last two

pages will really pull you in, with the final splash page hinting at something

much larger going on. Story and art (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u out of four.

PS: This is six part story, with issue # 1 out today.

Next up Batman/Lobo by Sam Kieth "Deadly Serious". I just love anything

that Kieth does, throw in Batman and Lobo and all hell is going to brake loose.

This one is so hard to put into 'my' words I am going to quote from the book's

back cover: The Dark Knight. The Main Man. It can only mean one thing: the

end is nigh. When the batman suddenly finds himself on a spaceship 7.2 light

years from Earth, he knows it's not a normal day. When he discovers Lobo is

also on board, he realizes it's not a good day. A galaxy-hopping adventure brought

to you courtesy of the one-of-kind imagination of Sam Kieth. This one gets

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u out of four. Till next time :hi:

PS: This is a two parter.

Y was decent. I heard this was a "big" issue, so the ending wasn't much of a surprise. Is it just me, or was that series better the first 20+ issues?

Walking Dead continues to impress. I, like many, was introduced to it first by reading a few trades and then had to unfortunately start reading the monthly issues, which is much more agonizing than the sheer pleasure of plowing through the trades. I'm not a zombie person at all, but this series really transcends that.

How about a shout out to Local, one of the best books out there as well...