• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RATE WHAT YOU READ

136 posts in this topic

Paul Dini's run on Detective. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Bruce Jones' Deadman thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Testament thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Meltdown (new mini from Image...derivative of Watchmen, but what ain't?) thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

American Virgin 893censored-thumb.gif Just terrible! I dropped it.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif..... I will have to give these a look see.....thanks.

So I read the first issue of Immortal Iron Fist, and was not that impressed. I know many on here love it. I have to wonder, is it because you are comparing it to previous incarnations that really sucked? confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree with you. While the writing is better then decent between Fraction and I guess Brubaker is even credited until issue 3? The art for me is a big turn off its like a Jae Lee clone and I just dont care for that style. I tried issue 2, but the art is too much of a turn off for me. I think many will feel the same way.

I need to find some indys I can start trying I havent found any lately.

Current Reads

Exiles - I just cant give up this reality jumping books its plain fun.

Black Panther - I know Hudlins run is controversial, but after buying issues 21-22 I went back and bought the whole set and I loved it. I am on board.

FF the End - Alan Davis need I say more.

Uncanny X-men - Jumped on with Brubaker so far so good. Ill leave the minute he does though as X books I have been bad for years.

52 - Its cheap, on time, and decently written with enough suspense to keep me week to week. That needs to be rewarded.

JSA - I read the entire old series and Johns does not disappoint with issue 1 it is sooo much better then the new JLA although the art is comparable.

Shadowpact - I dunno I picked this up during IF and have stayed with it. The art is what is killing this book right now.

Trials of Shazam - I love this book so far. Great art new twist on the DCs Mystical universe which I never understood due to soo much history. Its a new start and I love it.

Civil War - I must say after House of *spoon* I never thought I would buy another Marvel crossover, but other then outing Peter this is a great read with awesome art.

Other then that there is ALOT of mediocre writing and art these days in comics and for $3.00 an issue it better shine. I switched to an online service this month because of that.

Hi guys,

Any threads on New Avengers Illuminati? I'm surprised I haven't noticed anything because I was pretty blown away by the book. Really epic stuff with the usual Bendis sardonic wit. I never read new books twice but I did this time.

I also thought the latest Conan was wonderful. A King Conan story that seems to really expand on Savage Sword 26 and 27, which was maybe my favorite story ever. You'll never look at Picts the same way again. I'm shocked but I don't miss Busiek at all.

Norrin: I read that same Hellboy TPB this week. Pretty good though it didn't quite live up to the set-up in the first "issue."

Marc

Black Panther - I know Hudlins run is controversial, but after buying issues 21-22 I went back and bought the whole set and I loved it. I am on board.

FastBall, why is Hudlin's run considered controversial? I liked the first few issues of the series. But Hudlin started straying pretty quickly and I felt like he was catering, in a negative fashion, to what was expected of him. For instance, the all-African American superhero book (Blade, Cage, etc). Just felt forced. When the Storm marriage was announced, it really turned me off of the book. So, I dropped it right before the "wedding" issues were coming.

So, I'm interested. Has there been some good writing since? Or did I miss something?

I guess I really want to like some of these great characters. But I just feel like the books are not as good as the characters can be (Blade has done this how many times?).

Pat

Annihilation#5 (and I realize I'm late, but my comics take a minute getting over the Atlantic) kicked *spoon*.

When the Big G shouts, "Know me and know Fear" at you - you may have a potential problem.

Ronan the Accuser back and covered in glory!

Norrin: I read that same Hellboy TPB this week. Pretty good though it didn't quite live up to the set-up in the first "issue."

Marc

Yeah, it kinda left a few threads dangling (the creature that Liz awoke for one). And I was disappointed how easily Hellboy defeated the villain on horseback. In the back, Mignola said he originally had a longer fight scene. I think it should have been another issue longer to finish the story right.

I read Hellboy TPB 1 and 4 yesterday (yes, I'm in a Hellboy mood this week). I read TPBs 1, 4, and 5 before I saw the movie. Haven't read them since.

"Seed of Destruction" thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif 1/2

"Right Hand of Doom" thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif (Great collection of stories throughout Hellboy's time with BPRD)

The Goon 1-5 Trades Art thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif Story: thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif All around excellence.

I just re-read every Goon story. Goon TPB 1-4 are the best. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Could not agree more Goon is cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

powell_goon13p7.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Chris

Great page, Chris!

Powell's art is the main attraction for me. The storylines have gotten a little too serious for me, compared to the fun stories from earlier in the run. But the art is a joy to look at.

Here's hoping Chinatown will be good (and shortly forthcoming). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I just read the first issue of the Illuminati which was pretty inane on all levels (the second issue apparently will involve the Infinity Gauntlet - and yes, I know I'm not up to date).

The Illuminati appear to the Skrull shortly after the Avengers kicked the Skrull's *spoon* and started talking *spoon* to the Skrulls (the entire empire) and appeared to merely bark at them about the repercussions of trying again (remember those are supposed to be among the smartest MOFO's in the Marvel U.)

They proceed to get themselves caught and examined by the Skrulls only to be saved by an armorless Tony Stark who is half-way suffering from a heart attack yet breaks out of custody by manhandling his guards to which he thanks Captain America for (the training) - which I'm sure is supposed to have this effect to the Civil War wary reader but just comes off as pretty lame - and then saves everyone else.

I read the latest JLA (for me), and I'm a fan of this new series. I think Metzler guesses well on intended effect and actual effect of dialogue - Batman saying 'thank you' to Hal Jordan for instance, and honestly it has Solomon Grundy in it pimped out all dapper on the cover so I was going to dig it anyway.

Read Midnighter#1 (Garth Ennis) and I think it's solid. I think Wildstorm's relaunch (minus delays) has been solid overall and it has a lot to do with the quality of writers in their stable (Morrison, Azzarrello, Ennis) IMHO. Nothing groundbreaking, but decent, and this is a character that fits Ennis pretty well, although visually the book doesn't stand out.

I read JLA/WILDCATS and it was a complete waste of time. Half the book depicts the damn villain (who was lame) explaining his intentions and features the version of Superman that looked like he walked out of Godfall (which may be the worst comic I have ever read)

Jay, I agree with the Wildstorm/Image relaunch. I didn't pick up the Stormwatch book because it didn't look very good. Shame too, because I liked the original first two volumes.

Deathblow by Azzarrello is one of my favs. Sure wish we'd see more Authority. 1st issue was very solid. Hasn't there been only 1 issue in a few months?

Gen13 is so-so for me right now. Not bad, definitely not great. I have to see where it's going soon or I'll probably drop it.

I'm undecided on Wetworks. Not a very big Portacio fan. But the 1st & 2nd issue read pretty good. I'm thinking of going back and getting the issue I missed. Worth it?

Pat

Jay, I agree with the Wildstorm/Image relaunch. I didn't pick up the Stormwatch book because it didn't look very good. Shame too, because I liked the original first two volumes.

Deathblow by Azzarrello is one of my favs. Sure wish we'd see more Authority. 1st issue was very solid. Hasn't there been only 1 issue in a few months?

Gen13 is so-so for me right now. Not bad, definitely not great. I have to see where it's going soon or I'll probably drop it.

I'm undecided on Wetworks. Not a very big Portacio fan. But the 1st & 2nd issue read pretty good. I'm thinking of going back and getting the issue I missed. Worth it?

Pat

I'm afraid I can't really be much help - when it comes to moderns it takes forever for my books to get here so I'm always behind - thus I'm only 1 issue deep into the Wildstorm books. sorry.gif

I mostly read trades, so my viewpoint may be different:

Punisher: Barracuda

Ennis is still hitting this one just about right. Nothing spectacular, but if you like 80's action movies, this title is solid.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Desolation Jones

Totally bleak, totally innovative, totally Ellis. If you liked Glocal Frequency, you'll like this even more.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Daredevil (the first Brubaker one)

as good as everyone says it is.

Captain America: Red menace

I thought the winter soldier stuff was OK, not as good as the hype. The current storyline is a step down from that, and I'm close to dropping this title.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Seven Soldiers volume I-III

I think this might be one of the best series I have read in years. Extremely creative and well thought out, warranting mulitple reads. Except Mister Miracle, which sucks donkey balls.