• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'll Never Sell This One

20 posts in this topic

I've regarded OA as a rather fluid investment. I'll sell any piece I've collected, even at a loss, if I need the coin to buy a new (and more desired) piece. Until now.

Some time ago, I bought a Rich Larson/Steve Fastner original that had appeared in Larson's Haunted House of Lingerie Vol 2. Pure cheesecake (catch the title of the book again, eh?) but no less lovely for that. However, I made a terrible mistake when I bought the piece.

I told my wife, "This reminds me of you and me."

And it did. If you have the book, it's the last toned piece in the volume and called, I think, "I'll say..." (I'd scan if if I could. It always come to this: I can buy a scanner or more OA. So, no scanner.) My wife's a cute brunette and fit the illustration. At the time, my hair was long and gray. It's still gray. No longer long. So I was sincere when I said, "This reminds me of you and me."

Meanwhile, the holidays coming to a close, a seller has contacted me about a terrific two-page splash that I've long wanted. He'll even do the deal on terms. I need cash and I pull out the Larson/Fastner original...

...and my spouse says, in dismay, "You're going to sell OUR piece?"

So back into the vault it goes. But how about you? Have you got a piece that's never coming back to the market?

well i think i may have a few items like that. but for sure this piece. sorry i don,t have a scan. but it the 1st piece of art scott hampton did on silverheels. its the ad page that pacific comics ran as a house ad before the book came out. i bought it 1st hand from scott so it,s never really been on the open market and never will it.s my all time fav when it come to hampton art i have a few others but this one i love the best cloud9.gif

larry;]

My girlfriend has bought me a Preacher panel page and a James Jean Batman prelim, so those two are locked down in the permanant collection. Anything else could probably be had with really stupid money.

Yep, for me it's this page from Adventures of Superman issue 600. I love Superman and this page shows his origin as well as him as Clark, Superman and baby Kal-El. Plus it has Lois, the spaceship (twice), Krypton exploding, Ma and Pa Kent, everything.

The wording on the page is perfect and the last panel where Lois says, "Just have a little faith. You never know what tomorrow will bring." is inspirational to me as well.

Mike Wieringo's art is nice to look at as well.

adventure_600_p17.jpg

I have it framed and on the wall in my office and look at it daily. I'll end up giving it to my daughter at some point in the future when I'm old and gray or a grand child or someone in my family. I love it that much.

My Splash to Avengers #148 by Perez. It was the first comic I bought off the rack , along with #147 on the same day, and actually owning it makes me giddy. Now if I could just find the splash to #147....

Hey, I thought it was your splash to Avengers 117.... hint, hint. blush.gif

My girlfriend has bought me a Preacher panel page and a James Jean Batman prelim, so those two are locked down in the permanant collection . Anything else could probably be had with really stupid money.

frustrated.gif

only wives are allowed to bestow "permanent collection" status on gifted art poke2.gif

Well, if she keeps up the good behavior, she might achieve that status soon. 893whatthe.gif

Another couple pages would help her cause though tongue.gif

My Flash 323 cover, my Doom Patrol 1 cover, my Super Team Family 9 cover, my Tom Yeates Saga of the Swamp Thing 3 cover, my DC Comics Presents 87 cover (the only cover my wife actually likes), my John Albano Jonah Hex drawing (only one he ever drew), my Carmine Infantino Red Tornado cover, my Luke McDonnell Justice League of America covers (including the last issue of the first series!)... Most of my collection is permanent, or will remain with me at least until I'm gone... then, they're my wife's to do with whatever she wishes...

Here's the link to my CAF gallery with all those inside:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3650

Mike B.

When I used to be on the Comicart-list group, one of the things that used to amuse me is the number of time I'd read posts, by various collectors, claiming to have acquired their "Grails" (usually something run-of-the-mill) . . . that they'd "never sell".

Fast-forward a few months, I'd be reading posts by the same guys claiming "circumstances have forced me to sell . . . "

Grail today, gone tomorrow?

Moral of the story:

Never say never. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif