• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADE THESE: Fantastic Four # 1, Amazing Fantasy 15

18 posts in this topic

Blame the original owner! I didn't write that "1961" date on there! tongue.gif

At least I didn't mention the grade...so it's not spoiled for the people who didn't already know about the copy. So where'd you get the scans?

9.0 on the FF. Looks like a 9.2 with a chip/pre-chip, therefore: 9.0.

8.0 to 8.5 on the AF15. There's a circular moisture ring (from the bottom of a drinking glass?), on the lower region of the cover encompassing the area of Spiderman's right foot and the Burglar's two feet).

9.0 on the FF. Looks like a 9.2 with a chip/pre-chip, therefore: 9.0.

8.0 to 8.5 on the AF15. There's a circular moisture ring (from the bottom of a drinking glass?), on the lower region of the cover encompassing the area of Spiderman's right foot and the Burglar's two feet).

I can guarantee you, with remarkable certainty for a book I've never touched, that there is no stain on the front cover of that Amazing Fantasy 15. The only "flaws" with that book are structural.

I thought the AF15 was graded at 9.4 by cgc? I could be wrong.

I'll say 9.2 on the FF1.

The White Mountain FF 1 is a CGC 9.2 and the WM AF 15 is a 9.4 and owned by Tom Brulato! sumo.gif

Since Greggy just blew the doors off of all the fun, here's the original auction description for each of these books:

ff1.gif

af15.gif

They ended up selling, ten years ago, for $28,000 and $40,000 respectively 893whatthe.gif

WM AF 15 is a 9.4 and owned by Tom Brulato!

Does that guy have ALL the high grade Spidey's? shocked.gif893whatthe.gif

From what I've heard--YES! It's sickening! tongue.gif He said in the "Scoop!" article about him that he had two full runs in 9.4 or better of Spidey 1 to 100, one run mostly full of 9.6 to 9.8 issues and the other being from 9.4 to 9.6. If you look at the census, the majority of the top copies are owned by him.

yeah...but is he happy????

well, uh, probably very happy. confused.gifconfused.gif

"Happy" probably isn't the best word to describe being a long-term competitive collector. Very satisfied and content with brief flashes of happiness while buying books and appreciating the accumulation of cool stuff you own, yea, but happiness is not something that an ego-driven person usually gets for very long from the fruits of their ego. Do pro athletes look happy while they're playing? Usually not; you only see them look anything close to happy after they've achieved success, and then it dissipates once they start preparing for the next match. The types of guys who go after high-grade stuff are often like this.

Ego is a hunger that needs satiating and doesn't make you directly happy, although once you've fed the hunger for a while, happiness can occur while thinking about the fruits of your success if you've got some degree of control over the ego. Jerry West, the famous basketball player from the 60s/70s whose outline is on the NBA logo, always seemed like the kind of guy whose ego was NEVER satiated and who probably derived very little happiness from what he was doing. Michael Jordan always seemed very similar to this, although he seemed to have more control over his ego and could let it go from time to time during and after games.

Very satisfied and content with brief flashes of happiness while buying books and appreciating the accumulation of cool stuff you own

Very well put and (in my case anyway) right on the mark... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif