• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

which do you prefer old art page,s with lettering or new art without lettering

15 posts in this topic

i was looking at a few pages of mine and a few of the newer pages had no word balloons. now i know all new art has lettering done via computers.

but to me i rather have the art with word text, as to it sometime they help to tell the story of what going on within the page as to further explain the visals if you don,t have the book what do you guys think or prefer. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

larry ;]

Larry do a search as this has been killed to death.

My answer in all those old threads is the same as now, lettering on the pages please. I only own one page without lettering and would like to trade it. smile.gif

thomas. thanks on the info. i never really thought much about reading the old threads on certain subjects. my ideal was really to get a lil banter going on here. some days it like a ghost town here.

there are quite a few collectors here on this board. iam sure we all at one time have question or thought,s related to original art that we could share than just looking at scans of our latest mail calls. hi.gif

larry ;]

Absolutley lettering ON the page! ! !

I purchased a few pages at SanDiego05 becuase I liked them (Ormston Lucifer pages) that didn't have lettering on them. It wasn't until I was scanning the printed version that I realized I had a title page. I like to know these things ahead of time. 893blahblah.gif

With lettering all the way. Now that I think about it, I only collect interior panels from older series like Sandman and Preacher, while I buy covers and splashes from the new books. This is probably a big reason why.

With letting all the way. Now that I think about it, I only collect interior panels from older series like Sandman and Preacher, while I buy covers and splashes from the new books. This is probably a big reason why.

I'm the same way - I own a few modern panel pages (sans lettering) that have particularly nice images, but mostly I stick to splashes and covers for the new stuff. To me, most comic art looks 2-D and unfinished enough as it is with no color; zapping the text and dialogue makes it look even more incomplete (most pages do not stand up well as just plain art without it).

I'm mostly into covers or self-contained strips these days, but my preference is always for comic-book art that incorporates logos and lettering.

The anology is that it's like a good song . . . with the words putting the music into context.

Unless you're into instrumentals, of course! wink.gif

Absolutely with lettering. Fewer and fewer of those pages are available, of course...just as more and more pages are pencilled only. (My preference? Inked.) But will the next generation of collector prefer the un-lettered and pencilled pages since that's the new norm?

Lettering ... all the way.

It just looks incomplete without not to mention the actual art form of hand lettering. Some of the old hand Letterers were amazing.

To further this discussion, my new pet peeve is pages that don't even bother to glue a stat in panels that are repeating. It's all done in the computer now of course and if you look at some of the Ed Benes pages from the new Justice League of America there are huge blank panels all over the place. I even saw on page on eBay that had the back ground for several panels on a separate page to be digitally inserted later.

It just seems like the modern interior original art is less "artistic" and more a process. Less likely to be framed and on a wall.

I like my art with lettering. I buy it because I want the entire original page of the comic, not just the art. Since I basically collect old art, it's not an issue. Back when Kirby and Ditko were chiseling those images into stone tablets the letterer had to chip the words in too. Stretcho hadn't invented them newfangled whatchamawhoozits that separate the art from the lettering.... grin.gif

uberman / rhino good points. i just had a cool thought. with all new art being done with the current printing process. will we in the near future see a new catagory for comic art with lettering. kinda like golden age. silver. bronze . modern ? iam not sure what you can call the current stuff.

but for sure i will bet my last dollar. that all bronze and modern art with hand lettering will start to get hoarded pretty soon.in the near future, iam starting to see more and more collectors already moving there collections into silver and bronze age only art. gossip.gif

larry ;]