• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does the average person here suffer from CADD?

36 posts in this topic

I've been collecting DC war comics since I was a kid. I took the usual break between ages 15 and 30, but for the past 7 years it's mostly been war. However, I have gotten off track and taken forays into BA DC horror, Westerns and some hero stuff.

Good news is I've sold off most of my non-war stuff and now I'm totally focussed on the bang-bang books. It's so much easier!

These boards are the culprit, though... I see so many amazing books that I would just love to have.

Shep

I do tonofbricks.gif

I collect and read the same stuff, however I purchase a ton of stuff just because of this site. If someone recommends it or if I see a cover I like I usually go out and buy it.

My main interest is Conan, WWT/Hex, Usagi Yojimbo, TOD, ASM, DD and OAAW/Sgt Rock. Due to these boards I have started collecting Bronze age war (Again), horror and a ton of older superhero stuff. I also have started buying moderns again foreheadslap.gif

collecting attention deficit disorder? maybe it's the wrong impression but it sure seems like a lot of posters here change interests as often as i change my socks.

I think there are two driving factors for this (besides the fact that collector's interests change from time to time).

One is the depth of material in comic books. Many cool titles and issues to collect. And it's not like collecting two-dimensional objects like coins or stamps or sportscards. There are a million comic book stories out there to read. You could spend a lifetime reading just the interesting ones and still not finish. I'm always looking for interesting series to collect and read. Many GA stories haven't been reprinted (probably about 70% of the stories in Batman 21-100 haven't been reprinted anywhere) meaning you'll have to buy the originals to read them.

That's leads us to the second factor... expense. There are many series we'd like to collect, but the cost forces us to make choices. But if we really like several expensive titles or issues, it can be hard to decide and stay focused. So collectors tend to oscillate between titles.

so, how long have you been collecting your current interest?

My collecting has evolved to the point where I know what my main focus is (GA Batman). I've been collecting it for a little over a year. But even within GA Batman, there are many different sets I could collect (all of them expensive).

I don't change my focus, I just collect everything. There are certainly some issues I want more than others, but if I see something I like for the right price, I buy it.

Wait, does that mean I suffer from CADD or not? confused-smiley-013.gif

collecting attention deficit disorder? maybe it's the wrong impression but it sure seems like a lot of posters here change interests as often as i change my socks. so, how long have you been collecting your current interest? i've been collecting high grade silver age DC for roughly 10 years, the prior 20 (when i had little $) it was high grade silver age Marvel. what's your story?

Once I completed a run, I slowly began to tire of it, and started to contmplete selling it, Which I usually would. Then start the process all over again,.

Now, I don't collect runs, that way I won't ever sell or get bored!

The first year (or two) that I was here I added a lot of books to my want list and bought a few based solely on discussions here piquing my interest.

Last year I finally had a bit of time here and there to read through some of my collection... and began winnowing out about 10% and reducing my want list by half.

To be fair, most of the deletions were not things I had added due to reading threads here... rather, they were nostalgia-clouded stuff from my less discriminating childhood.

I'm really thankful for a well-stocked library (Essentials, TPBs, Archives, etc.) and an LCS with a burgeoning back issue selection that lets me read before I buy.

Since I feel like I'm relatively new to collecting again (about 2 years now) after a 20+ year layoff, I guess I still view comics more like a buffet line - I like to sample a bit of everything. I'm buying back a lot of the books I loved when I was young, but I'm also buying books that pique my interest now as an adult. If something looks interesting I'll give it a try and see if I like it. Recently, however, my focus has started to narrow down a bit to a few titles that I'm really enjoying and I will probably focus mostly on those over this new year. However, I don't think I will ever be able to pick just one or two titles or even a genre or age to completely focus on. I think it has a lot to do with personality. I'm the kind of person that likes to try new and different things and it carries over into my collecting habits. I don't view it as CADD, I simply collect funny books like Nik said.

I'm incapable of sticking to goals. This includes everything in life, not just comics. So I have this issue bad.

I did pretty well. I only collected Spider-Man books for a LONG time. Now I've read them all so many times I don't even look at them anymore and I can't seem to unload them so I can buy something else.

I've started collecting SA and GA books. My SA focus is on Tales of Suspense, and I'd like to stick with that. I bought an SA Green Lantern I don't want and now it doesn't fit in. But at least I've narrowed down to something so that won't happen anymore.

As for GA, I only have 1 book. I just sent it to CGC so I'll decide what my collecting goals are there when it comes back as it will set a standard for the grade I want.

That said, in 2 months I'll have switched again. I don't want to, but it'll just happen as per my first paragraph.

I have been working on a complete run of Wonder Woman (just Wonder Woman not Sensation or other such books) for almost 14 years. Since I am down to the rarest and most expensive issues I have lots of little runs on the side that I work on.

My sad story is that in the early 60's my dad used to buy me Marvel & DC every week, aong with the UK Commando comics and some western ones, I was also given a massive collection of Victor and Hornet comics. Now even though I was a young kid, I loved these comics and lookedafter them like no other young kid would normally do. As I got older, from 1973 onwards I lost interest but kept them in great shape but out of the way. I then discovered, when I was about 20, that my mum had given them all away to someone's kids!! I wasn't too bothered at the time... but now, I am totally gutted! I had some fantastic stuff.

I have always had a soft spot for them in my heart and 6 or 7 years ago started to buy some new comics and TPB's for my 2 boys.

The, just a year ago, one of my work colleagues, who is a Silver Surfer nut, asked me if I was intersted in his SS collection, so I went and had a look, he had a pretty much full collection, including most appearances in other titles as well as some other good bits and pieces, a load of figures, still in boxes and never opened, TPB's and a huge collection of 2000AD which was in mint condition, which I was aware wasn't worth much. I bought them with the intention of selling them on EBay and make a few quid. I had been selling my vinyl collection at the time, which was going really well, as my Albums were in the Mint category and I have a huge collection, as I worked for a record company in the late 70's and early 80's as well as being a music journalist on one of the main music papers.

OnceI got the comics home and had a good look at them my mindset changed, I thought I would complete the Silver Surfer apearances, which I did, off EBay and other sites and I also started to buy Frank Miller stuff. Before I knew it, my kids were reading them, so was I and I started looking further afield and retraced my steps from the early 60's and started to get books I had had then.

Since then I have continued to spend a lot of time buying stuff including a fantastic set of over 3000 mainly Marvel & DC Silver/BA comics from a guy in Sweden.

I have gone accross the board, buying Silver & Bronze for myself as well as some Copper and modern stuff for my kids, but also looking out for some of the really good modern stuff to put away for them for the future.

I have had a great year, spent far far, far too much money and have promised myself that my main goal for this year is to log them all properly and to just look for certain issues to make up sets/runs etc.

I will be concentrating on finishing off my Sea Devils & Rip Hunter collections especially the missing Showcases. I will be looking for Mystery in Space, HOS 92, Some of my missing Batman & Detective comics. I would like to tie up Daredevil and need 1, 2, 3 & 6 to finish off 1-250.

No doubt something I never even thought about will enter the arena. I blame this site and all the great comics posted. I can't be the only person to see something for the first time on here and think.... "Wow!! I gotta get me one of those!!"

I daren't even look on the Golden Age thread!! insane.gif

I willalso be looking for some mid grade FF 10-25, again, 1-9 is out of my range atthe moment I think, maybe in time..... a long time!

Sorry for the long thread! I am loving the comic bug and obviously this is all my mum's fault for binning my comics!!

Happy New Year to one and all. I actually look forward to buying from some of you this year, I also hope to beable to fill a few gaps for some of you as I have quite a few doubles and trebles so will be listing these this year.

I do have some fetish books I go after too, pretty much regardless of grade - paratrooper covers (though I'm not as rabid as Paratrooper!), Fish-in-the-Face covers (picked up 4Most 4 tonight!!!!), and some romance books if they have saucy covers.

How have I never heard of "fish-in-the-face" covers? smile.gif What others exist?

re: CADD

I have more than CADD, I have just plain insanity. I started out by buying *EVERYTHING*, and now I am trying to find my focus. So far, I haven't.

I'm enjoying reading current comics, and I love Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze, and the last 6 or 8 years. smile.gif I even have a few "Platinum Age" books.